Going to Bali for the fist time!

Give me a break!

Well we are off in two weeks for our first foreign holiday ( Apart from a visit back to the UK last year, which was definitely not a holiday, more torture! :laugh: ) in two weeks and we are going to Bali. Never been before, we are going to what looks to be a lovely private Villa in Seminyak. Has anyone been? Any tips if you have? Restaurants and bars etc?

Perhaps treat that ^ with the contempt it deserves.

Been to Bali several times, travelled around there a lot and it's lovely. For a small island it has a very different feel as you move through the landscape.

Seminyak is nice but I'd advise getting out and about. Get yourself a driver (I can give you some details of you wish?) Stick with the same driver, agree a daily rate and get them to take you around the island.

How adventurous are you?

Ubud is a bit of a shopping mecca now but if you can get up early in the morning and see the food market from 5am it's a great experience. Better still, book yourself onto a cookery course and get them to take you round sampling all the food.

There's so much to do you will not be bored, it's an extraordinary place but the best of it IMO is to be found by going local. We've eaten incredible foods from street vendors, climbed high into the hills and watched birds of prey circling below us, eaten snakeskin fruit straight from the trees and swam in the most amazing pool at Tirta Gangga.

Amazing place, don't listen to the naysayers who claim it to be Australia's Ibiza, it's a gorgeously rich, beautiful and interesting place.

Tbh I've only been once and didn't like it. But I know lots of people who do, so I should give it a second shot.

I stopped off on the way to Perth to get some sun, as it was Aug, several years ago.

I was a bit bored so I got into a card game with some seedy characters in a shack in denpasar. My advice would be not to do this, and find a nice beach.

I have never been to Bali and have heard mixed reports about it. But then I guess it is all about where you go there and what you want from a holiday.

Enjoy your time there GMAB and let us have your feedback, along with photos of course, when you get back! And although the comment about Gastrostop might have been a sarcastic comment, I actually never travel without it. Worst case of food poisoning I ever suffered was in London - so I never leave home without Gastrostop in my firstaid kit! But that is the Grandma in me I suppose!

Oh dear that post will get the Perth poms going a government with a dubious human rights record never understand why anyone would go there (although just to dampen the torrent that will come the people are nice ) yes I agree with shaun freo do take gastro stop it's the best thing you can take , at the end of the day if you can ignore all the horrible bits cruelty to animals and just drink the Bintang sure you will have a great time

also to compare Ibiza with Kuta does Ibiza a great diservice

Guest Guest6235
No sarcasm intended, just a bit of practical advice , it's not uncommon to get a touch of gastro in Bali and gastro stop is a good way to not let it ruin your holiday am sure you will have a great time

I thought it was a throw away jokey comment but with a hint of seriousness about it speaking from your past experience. All you're doing is giving advice.

Just an addit , for the life of me I don't understand my own countryman and women , you spend a fortune go through all the hoops to get a visa , you arrive in WA with its beautiful beaches wonderfull weather no Hep A or other nasty diseases , and the next thing you are off to bloody Bali , isn't it enough to be here , it's just like you have to get out of where you live, like a summer holiday in Spain

seriosly ?

Thanks to those that have bothered to try and help me, and to those that have used it as a chance to dig and have your entertainment , good on you, I won't be starting anymore threads or frequenting this site again, so I'm sure you'll be happy about that. I have no idea why you've all felt the need to be quite so horrid, Happy New Year.

Well that's what a forum is , it's an exchange of views , if you put on a post don't expect to have it all your own way , the whole going to Bali is a bit of an issue to some of us Aussies , perhaps you haven't been here long enough to appreciate that , but I still hope you have a good holiday and happy new year to you to

Guest Guest6235

Please don't throw your toys out and leave. It's a good job I've got broad shoulders the amount of people that 'gang up' on me lol for giving my views, both good and bad, but I generally get ganged up on for the bad honest comments (or some say negative).

Just an addit , for the life of me I don't understand my own countryman and women , you spend a fortune go through all the hoops to get a visa , you arrive in WA with its beautiful beaches wonderfull weather no Hep A or other nasty diseases , and the next thing you are off to bloody Bali , isn't it enough to be here , it's just like you have to get out of where you live, like a summer holiday in Spain

seriosly ?

Yes I agree WA has a lot to offer and beautiful coastlines but whats wrong with wanting to explore other countries to?

I personally have plenty of places on my list to visit in WA but also many places in Asia to. Travelling from the UK to Asia is expensive, so now that we live here and its practically on the doorstep, we are able to travel to places that we could never have afforded to go before.

I think it's a real shame that someone excited about their first overseas trip came on for some advice and has ended up clearly feeling pretty negative. I didn't see anything the OP said about not exploring Australia, I don't know but they may have been here for decades, had many holidays in Australia and this is their first time abroad.

I think if people have genuinely helpful, objective advice it's welcome - places to avoid for example but seriously, someone's excited about a holiday and half the comments are glib and facile.

GMAB rather has a point, there's an element of negativity seeping through a lot of the threads recently and opposing views are welcome but only when objective, educated and for the benefit of the community.

It's great that there's banter between members but I always find myself wondering whether what is said (typed) on here is representative of how people would conduct themselves when face to face with someone who, essentially, they don't know.

Without visual cues that are so important in face to face communication we are left to speculate on the sentiment intended behind the words we read. However you reflect on what has been said, whatever anyone thinks about their intentions, the fact is, someone came on here feeling positive, asked for help and has left after a pretty terrible experience.

Guest Guest6235

Come on Porty, you must admit that the original reply to this thread was very light hearted and tongue in cheek with a touch of previous experience of their trip and she's totally lost it. No harm in having medication just in case. We all know you like your trips to Asia but not everybody does. I love NZ but peopled have replied back to me previously slagging it off, they're entitled to.

Edited by Guest6235

IMHO, it has definitely turned more negetive recently, I have been on here some considerably time so can make an informed judgement

Having said that, easily turned around, maybe people can PM the negetive stuff and otherwise all the other comments go onto the usual reply to thead postings

Idea?

shame , Bali is one place we plan to visit once in WA ( if we ever get there cough cough ) ………. Our friends, like i mentioned have been a few times , so yeah look forward to an explore :o)

……. In fact once were over …. theres stacks of places we need to explore !!!!

I hope the OP is still reading.

Bali is lovely. Get out and about. Explore. But as you asked about seminyak in particular - Ku De Ta is a lovely place to hang out on the for a drink and a bite to eat. Great for sunset - but a tad expensive (for Bali)

I haven't spent much time in seminyak so that's all I can offer on that front.

One of the best things I done was a cycle ride from the top of kintamani volcano down through villages through ubud. Absolutely stunning. And on the way we visited the coffee plantations where they make kopi Luwak.

People moan about kuta and legian but I enjoy it for a beer and a night out. Loads of places with live music and good atmosphere. It isn't all nightclubs.

Only caution I would have is make sure your travel insurance covers against ash cloud disruption as that has caused mayhem over the last 9 months - it's settled at the moment but who knows what's around the corner.

Most of all. Have fun. If you do get an icky belly (I've been 12 times and needed tablets 4 of those times) there are plenty of chemists that can supply stuff, if you don't take your own.

Oh yes... Haggle. You will he quoted at least double the asking price for tours. Sometimes triple. Don't pay the first price.

Maybe GMAB has already done that..... nothing wrong with wanting to holiday in Asia..... we do live in the Asian region after all.

Where did I say there was anything wrong with going? Just stated that the general opinion on here was negative, I couldn't care less where anyone goes on holiday to be honest, but if you ask for Input on a public Internet forum, you should expect the brutal truth.