Job prospects/changing employer if sponsored

niall p 89

Hi all,

I work in corporate tax advisory in the UK, one year qualified big 4, and I am looking to relocate to Perth with my Australian girlfriend of 5 years.

I have been offered the opportunity to transfer with my current employer (sponsored VISA), however, it is not my preferred role and I would be unsure as to whether I could see my long term career in that role. I am therefore looking for advice on two fronts:

- How easy is it to transfer jobs if on a sponsored visa and what are the implications of changing jobs if any (e.g. extending period before being eligible to apply for permanent citizenship)?

- What is the current job market like for corporate tax advisory given the depressed economy? I am thinking of obtaining a partner/de facto visa and looking to obtain work upon arrival. Although this is a big risk financially and more expensive as it looks like a partner/de facto visa costs in excess of $6k.

Any comments or guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks

Niall

The market for accountants is generally very bad. It has been for a few years and the occupation is flagged for potential removal from the SOL list as a result. It is therefore very hard to get a new 457 sponsorship.

However, there is nothing to stop you accepting a 457 transfer and simultaneously lodging either a pert near visa or a skilled permanent visa application.