Moving 16year old to oz

Nicnac22

Hi, I'm in the very early stages of research in to moving to oz. Initially for 3 years with work. I'm concerned about the education. My child will be 16 and left school in the uk and have her GCSE all expected to be a* she wants to go to college and then university. What is the transition to Australian education. Would she be able to do a level equivalents which could be transferable to the UK if we were to return after she had competed them. So many questions and our move is totally based upon her education options. Thanks in advance

H and welcome to the forum.

I am am sure some of our members with children will be along to comment on schools and college.

What I will say is that if you are coming on a 457 visa - from what you describe the most likely - she would be regarded as an international student here for college and university. So, would be required to pay international fees and recieve no help from the government. University in particular could be VERY expensive. Then, on return to the UK she will be regarded as international as you need to have been resident for a period of time prior to commencing university. So, would not be entitled to loans / grants and may be hit with big fees.

Hi Nic,

The education system here is quite different in that children at 16/17 are generally still in school completing years 11/12, there isn't a college system as there is in the UK and there are no A level equivalents.

My son is 16 and starts year 11 this week, Years 11/12 are a 2 year course and on completion you get a WACE certificate and a score from exams that is used for Uni entry. Here, you progress from school to University. My son will be 18 when he leaves school

Being on a temporary visa as has been suggested also means that you would have to pay international fees.

Hi, I'm in the very early stages of research in to moving to oz. Initially for 3 years with work. I'm concerned about the education. My child will be 16 and left school in the uk and have her GCSE all expected to be a* she wants to go to college and then university. What is the transition to Australian education. Would she be able to do a level equivalents which could be transferable to the UK if we were to return after she had competed them. So many questions and our move is totally based upon her education options. Thanks in advance

If you went for three years, you would come back in the middle of your child's uni. Even if it's only a three year degree. Added to all the problems above. It's not an ideal situation. Better to wait for a level completed.

• 1 month later...

we are looking to move back to UK with a 16 year old which is probably worse than your situation but as I understand it. Normal school finishes at year 12 (18 yr old) in Aussie & I believe would be accepted as A level standard. School fees are $4000 / year if on a 457 visa. After leaving school I am unsure but may be international fees as stated in earlier posts.

If she intends going to Uni back in the UK apply now as you have the previous 3yr residency requirement otherwise she will be classed as a international student even after a year away (our experience) she can defer entry to Uni for the course she chooses and take time prior to entry to work/travel etc., :wink: