Paying off UK student loan from Perth..?

TK56

Hi- planning to move over last week of April. Does anyone have any experience of paying off student loan from Perth? I have got in touch with the student loans company etc but wanted a view from someone who might be doing it/ have done it and who can advise on the options. Any info gratefully received!

• 1 month later...

I've paid off my loan already and we are nearly done on my husbands loan. It's all fairly simple - they send you some paperwork to complete, basically stating your income, or if you're not working how you are supporting yourself, send it back along with proof (3 months payslips or a contract) and they write back and tell you how much they want a month from you.

It can appear to be eye-wateringly expensive to pay back from here, and be aware that you don't have to take their first offer :) They told me to pay back £364 a month - which was stupid so I wrote back and said I couldn't afford that (was supporting my unemployed husband at the time) and they negotiated it down to £200 a month.

We use a credit card that doesn't attract overseas fees and pay it monthly on their website, we've also paid off chunks at a time if we had it and then not paid anything for a couple of months. They are quite hot on chasing you for money if you don't pay now - they keep emailing and telling us we are in arrears - we are not - and we keep replying telling them this, but it takes them 28 days to read and email and then get around to replying - we'll have paid it off by the time they work out what the hell is going on. :err:

When we had loan commitments we used to send back larger sums of money for the direct debits that came out of our UK accounts. You could ask but I'm not sure bank loans and the like will let you pay it of via credit card (can't pay for credit with credit). We used Ozforex (now called OFX I think) as you have to send back about $2k at a time from memory.

The beauty of the Student Loans website is that you can just make random payments so you can use a credit card to pay (although make sure you select 'debit' card from the drop down list to avoid a fee)

My daughter is paying back her student loan at the moment, she only has to pay about £2.50 a month based on what she is earning here in Perth which is not a lot by the time you bring the exchange rate into it, so she gives us $200 a month, we save it up and when it gets to $200O or so, we areange a wire transfer to our UK bank account, then send the student loan co a cheque, you only have to pay then once every tax year

I'm in the process of arranging mine. I think I might try offering to simply start paying £200 per month. I'd rather get started and don't want to waste time with a ridiculous suggestion of £364 per month!

You can get started whenever you want, you don't need to wait for them to tell you how much to pay. Just log on to their website and start giving them some money :)