pet transport

racheld

Great question!!! I will watch this thread with interest, let's hope there are some replies.

We are flying our boxer girl on April 27th from LHR to Melbourne for her 10 day stay, then on to Perth to be with us. PetAirUK are sorting all of it out but I am petrified about her flights because she's a nervous dog anyway and she'll have already been without us for 6 weeks [emoji26]

Hoping you get it all sorted & if you find any info please share.

Em

Hi my name is sarah,we are hopefully coming out mid April/may we are waiting for our visa to come through. We are flying out our boston terrier I'm nervous too, although he is a very chilled out dog I'm still dreading it. We are using pet air they have been great so far, I'm not sure which airline will be transporting him from melbourne to perth. He is flying out with Qantas.

Not suitable for everybody but if you wish to collect your furbaby from quarantine yourself and bring them back on the same flight with you its really simple to do.

We did it with our two labs and it worked out much cheaper.

both virgin and Quantas do this service, you book your flight, then phone customer service to book your dog, no paperwork to do.

Turn up at the airport with your dog and crate (these can be hired if you don't have your own). The staff weigh them, they are classed as overweight luggage, you pay any extra over your normal travelling allowance, ie 20kg.

they then take the dog to put in the hold and you go and check in as per a normal flight.

You can reduce costs by travelling over east on a low cost carrier ie, Jetstar etc.

Best to get a quote first from Jetpets, Dogtainers etc., then price up doing it yourself to see if its cheaper.

Also note that the pet transportation companies use cargo flights to transport, as you can only use domestic airlines if actually on same flight as your dog/s

Dogtainers got ours from Spotswood Melbourne to Perth, no hassle whatsoever. They collected from Melb quarantine and we picked 'em up from Toll Air Express office about 30min after the Virgin flight landed. They do it all the time here, don't worry. Only thing is to book reasonably well in advance so you don't have to pay for extra days in quarantine, there's only few places for "pet cargo" per flight. Which is easier said than done as quarantine officials do not guarantee release of the animal on a certain date - release decision depends on their assessment of pet's health...

edit. The cats were not that much bothered about the ordeal, I'd like to think they forgot all about it in a few days. Now they seem to be enjoying the warmth of Perth quite a bit. Good luck!

Edited by Finland