Just Starting

wavey23

Hi Everyone,

Just starting to contact people with regards making our dream become reality. It will be the wife along with the two boys. Age not on our side I'm 49 next year and the wife is 44 next year.

My wife is a practice manager of a doctors surgery with vast amount of experience in Hr and employment law. I'm a professional photographer with my own business in the UK.

So we are saving like mad, not sure how much we need as of yet. Any advice on this one would be great. My wife's sister's family are already living in Perth and we have visited on numerous occasions. We have contacted a migration company for advice at this early stage.

Will be reading the forum for advice as a lot of people have offered great advice.

David

Hi David.We arrived in Sept last year on a PR visa. Don't worry about your age, we're not much younger and have found quite a few making the move at this age. I would suggest £12,000 minimum to bring to get you started. Also, if your wife is going to be the applicant, I'd get things moving quick due to 45 being the general cut off age for points ( it can take a long time). We got initial advice off a migration agent but then did the visa process ourselves, which was straightforward. Lots of people use agents though and wouldn't do it without one, so it's personal opinion. There is lots of helpful information on here, it really helped us with the process and has also helped us make some lovely friends since we arrived. Good luck!

Edited by Cleowag

Hi and welcome.

The he first issue is visas. I am not clear on who would be the main applicant based on occupations, but your age may rule that out for you as it is very difficult to get enough points after the age of 45.

You therefore need to look through the two occupation lists to see if there is an occupation on there that matches. Then, you need to go through the requirements for that occupations skills assessment.

If the occupation is only on the csol, it would require either state or business sponsorship. State being the better. So, you would need to check if any states are sponsoring it and also what conditions the state imposes. For example, most occupations for WA nor require the person to have a job offer.

It may, in your situation, be good to speak to a good registered migration agent.

That would be very hard.

Yes, she would need a job offer as a 187 is an employer sponsored visa. It is very hard because not many organisations are willing to wait for an applicant for 6 month while a visa is processed - with no gauruntee the visa will be granted.

She would be eligible for a 457 visa, which is a more common sponsored visa. However, this is not a great choice visa. It is only temporary with no automatic path to permanent. It is tied to an employer, so if she lost her job, she would only have 90 days to find another willing and able (not every company can) sponsor. Or leave the country. A very big risk in a slowing economy.

Have you checked the skilled occupation lists first? May be worth doing this first for peace of mind. By mindful of what agents tell you if they are not MARA registered. We had one provide us with incorrect info at the early stages, luckily we had not parted with any money and had the good sense to double check what they told us. I think due to your ages, your wife would be the main applicant. I'd check the SOL and CSOL to make sure her occupation is on it. Good luck with it all.

I thought it didn't sound good from the email

and the little knowledge I have a got from the site.

lets hope I have better news.

I don't like being the bearer of bad news, but, I suspect your position is even harder. Once aged 50, there are special rules for gaining PR through business sponsorship. This includes having to earn a high salary - I think it is currently about $130k. You would also need to have been in Australia on a temporary visa for a period of time - cant remember if it is 2 or 4 years.

I think the reason your wife has only being given the 187 option is that the occupation is only on the CSOL list but with no states sponsoring.