House sold ready for move but having doubts

Rik

Hi first time on here and hoping we can get some advice ... Well we have our visas and have just agreed sale of our house . The problem is we're having doubts about the move . Our story is that we're a family of 4 and basically only have enough money to get ourselves over there and into rental. My salary could be in the region of 75k to 85k and would probably be the only income to start with. So basically I'm wondering if this is enough to not just survive on but to have a little left over for sports clubs etc . Any advice would be brill as the stress were having is making me grey !!! Oh I'm a bricklayer too if this helps

Hi Rik, Sadly I cant help you with the costs of living as we are due to fly out March the 16th, but I can say that the feelings you have are normal and the folks on here have been invaluable in our journey through the ups and downs. For me, its been a long journey, this is the 3rd time ive had a shot at emigrating (long story) and the 2nd lot of visas (another long story) but as it gets closer to actually going there are days where I wonder if I am doing the right thing for my family. I had a major wobble when our house was sold and we were just about to exchange contracts but I posted on here about my "meltdown" and others put it in perspective. These are normal feelings and there will be many more ups and downs to come, just keep asking the questions on here and youll work through them.

As I have been told on here a number of times, You have one life, give it ago, you'll only wonder "what if" in years to come if you don't go.

Just remember you can always come back if its not for you!

Good luck, Jase

Hi thanks for the reply people, nice to know people out there in same boat. Got a contact over there who is being really helpful and recommended I came on here . We're looking at the rockingham area at the minute but are clueless on schools. Kids are 10 and 4 . But like I say our main worry is being able to live on the one wage. I mean how does it work when kids are on school hols and you both work??? Cheers guys

Hi thanks for the reply people, nice to know people out there in same boat. Got a contact over there who is being really helpful and recommended I came on here . We're looking at the rockingham area at the minute but are clueless on schools. Kids are 10 and 4 . But like I say our main worry is being able to live on the one wage. I mean how does it work when kids are on school hols and you both work??? Cheers guys

I think you are getting ahead of yourselves..... get out here... get work.... then work out what happens with the children during school holidays. Temp work that allows you time off in school hols/ day care/ start a family day care unit / one of you find a job that is only school hours....

Hey..

We always juggled School holidays with work over here and don't live near family... so I'm sure it's no different in Australia!! There be plenty of out of School clubs... and camps...!! As for School I also have a 10, 6 and 3 year old...I'm going to wait until we are over there to sort that out....I figure it won't hurt for them to have a little holiday and some time to adapt to the new county.. Can I ask is you 10 year old a girl .... ? My 10 year old daughter is not happy about the move and it would be great to put her in contact with someone her age going through the same experience..

Hey..

We always juggled School holidays with work over here and don't live near family... so I'm sure it's no different in Australia!! There be plenty of out of School clubs... and camps...!! As for School I also have a 10, 6 and 3 year old...I'm going to wait until we are over there to sort that out....I figure it won't hurt for them to have a little holiday and some time to adapt to the new county.. Can I ask is you 10 year old a girl .... ? My 10 year old daughter is not happy about the move and it would be great to put her in contact with someone her age going through the same experience..

Mine were in school after 4 days. Best way to start getting integrated and meeting new friends and you parents. That said we were fortunate to have an address to be within catchment when we arrived which quickened up the process.

• 3 weeks later...
Great advice jaseandanne I'm booked up to go out on the 10th of April and have had some wobbles... and still are...just read your post and it has given me a lot of inspiration..

You would not be normal if you didn't have wobbles... everyone does. Just step back and look at what you are about to do and all that it has taken to get to this step in your journey..... of course you have wobbles..... and you will more than likely have quite a few in the coming months too..... only natural and we have all "been there"..... so "chat away" to us!

• 4 weeks later...

Brickies earn very good money, depending on the housing market which is slow at the moment. When the market was very busy and lot of demand the going rate was $1.00 a brick. But as long as you have a trade you can always find work. In your case, until you can get work with a builder, just advertise in local paper and people are always building walls, extra rooms and extensions etc.

Few years ago brickies' charge was $1.00 per brick, while working with the builders. Not sure what the current rate is. Builders registration board or Department of Commerce do have lot of information on their websites, maybe not the rates but inquiries can be made. Department of Commerce website is, https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/building-commission

I am not sure if you have already applied for your license but they will have more up to date information about the industry.