Stu Ersky

class 1 hgv driver

Hello Im new on here so please go easy on me :wacko:.But would appreciate as much advice as possible. Im a fuel tanker driver here in the uk and we're coming out to south of perth area in about 12 to 18 months I know I have to retake my tests which don't sound to intence. What im trying to find out is what is work like and am I likley to get a job being a newly OZ passed driver and what sort of money am I likey to earn and sort of hours will would I have to do

thank you for any help cheer Stu

hi i am going to follow this !! my other half is going through the process here of taking his hgv test and we not sure of what will happen when we move. do you have to retake tests there?

thanks

hi i am going to follow this !! my other half is going through the process here of taking his hgv test and we not sure of what will happen when we move. do you have to retake tests there?

thanks

HI sorry to say it yes he will. Iv been told by a oz truck driving training company if I get a headed letter of my employer of dimensions and weights of vehicles I drive at work. When i hand my english licence over in oz they will give me a provisional entitlement to a HC licence (class 1equilivant ) licence then I can go to them and I can do a test which should take between a day or two days and between 1500 & 2000 oz dollars hope that helps cheer Stu

My OH will be coming over with his Class 1 and changing over like you have said Stu.

With regards to work I'm thinking that it's who you know not what you know... my OH works for Aldi over here and has a contact in Oz, so hoping to get his foot in the door that way.

But did you also know that Driver Hire operate in Perth? You might have some joy asking them for info with a view to getting some temp to perm agency work??

Hi all, so which licence do you think my OH needs to get here so he can do some driving jobs in oz, is it class 1, or do you do a few different ones?

Claire

Hey stu

I'm in the same position as you. I'm also a fuel tanker driver and hoping to make it out to Perth some time this year.

What I have found out so far is you will have to re sit your class 1 again and also SLP (ADR) and a dangerous goods license.

spoke to a few drivers out there and they seem to think you could earn between $80 up to $160 pa or if you go up to the mining area could get $200 plus living expenses.

My plan is to join an agency till I get my dangerous goods license.

Where are you working in the UK fella

Personally I think if he hasnt already got them here then I would just wait till he gets out there pointless having to pay twice

I believe you just apply for the dangerous goods license.

The SLP seems to be an online course and once completed takes 3days to receive. Can't find the cost at the moment.

I'm in the South East. Just finished working for Harvest energy on the agency for Hoyer now till I make the move

The SLP seems to be an online course and once completed takes 3days to receive. Can't find the cost at the moment.

I'm in the South East. Just finished working for Harvest energy on the agency for Hoyer now till I make the move

Hello pal I take it your getting over on your partners job ?

Hello pal I take it your getting over on your partners job ?

Long time lurker, first time poster. We came out in 2008 and I've been trucking ever since.

Your car and motor bike licences will just be swapped over. Class I equivalent is called HC (heavy combination). Even though I had held my Class One since 1989 I couldn't just go for the HC licence. I had to pass a short theory test to obtain a provisional HR (heavy rigid) licence. I would strongly recommend an "unrestricted" licence, which means you have to know how to work an eighteen speed, twin splitter with double de-clutching. A lot of the big fleets are moving to AMT's, however for long haul and American based rigs the Road Ranger box still reigns supreme. Once you've passed your HR licence, you "officially" have to wait twelve months before you can step up to the HC or MC (road train) licences. However, since I'd had my C One since 1989 the licensing office waived this period. I have also heard of people being able to go straight for HC licences. I seems to depend on the discretion of the staff at the licensing office. In 2008 a one hour lesson on an HR truck was AU$40, HC AU$45, but had to be taken as two hour blocks. An MC assessment in 2012 cost me AU$ 900 for half a day, including theory. Dangerous Goods licence required to cart fuel takes two days, approx AU$400. For general freight a fork lift licence will be an advantage since there is a lot of self loading/un-loading, especially in more rural areas. You'll probably also need a fatigue management cert, the most basic one is free and can be found here: http://fatigue.safetyline.wa.gov.au/ Remember, ALL work related expenses are tax deductible.

Working hours can be a lot longer than in the UK. You can drive up to 17 hours per day! I've done a couple of 15 + hour days: ie six deliveries from Perth to Kalgoorlie over 1100 + kms, but paid nearly AU$900 for the day! However, working hours are supposed to average out at a max of 14 hrs per day.

To get your foot in the door I'd suggest TOLL through seek.com.au. They do most of the super market deliveries. I found it quite hard to even get an interview initially since a lot of employers ask for Perth Metro experience, but one will just have to persevere.

As for it being poorly paid: I work an approx 11 hour day carting bricks around Perth with only the occasional Saturday thrown in and have NO complaints.

We came over in 2008, so some things may have changed.

Car and motorcycle licence are simply ported over. To obtain the Class I equivalent of HC (heavy combination) I had to pass a ten question theory test, get an HR (heavy rigid) learners permit and find a truck driving school. I would recommend an "unrestricted" licence which requires the ability to work an 18-speed twin splitter box using double de-clutching. Most manufacturers are moving to AMT's, but in long haul with American rigs the Road Ranger box still reigns supreme. Officially there is a twelve months period between obtaining an HR licence and stepping up to HC or even MC (road trains). However, since I'd had held my Class I since 1989 the licensing staff waived it and progressed straight onto the HC licence. I have also heard that some people were able to go straight for their HC licence, it seems to be up to the discretion of the licensing staff. In 2008 an HR lesson was AU$80 and an HC lesson AU$90, HC lessons had to betaken in two hour blocks. My MC assessment in 2012 was AU$850. Remember, ALL work related expenses are tax deductible.

For general freight a fork lift licence would be a good addition since there can be a lot of self loading/un-loading, especially in more rural areas. Dangerous goods licence is a two day course for approx AU$400.

You'll most likely will need at least basic fatigue management training, free here: http://fatigue.safetyline.wa.gov.au/ Hours can be MUCH longer than in the EU. Legally you only require a 20 min break every five hours and can drive up to 17 hrs in one day. However, your driving hours should average out at 14 max.

I cart bricks in and around Perth doing an eleven hour day on average with only the odd Saturday or over night thrown in and I earned more than 90 % of Australians. :wink:

Hi there ,

I'm a Brit and already hold a full WA MC LICENCE ( expired ) and lived in Australia for 6 yrs back in the late 90's. Would like to move back out this time perminatly but have been reading that i cannot get a work permit/ visa these days in this occupation. Am wondering if my previous experience might help me any? 25 yrs experience...I also hold an Australian commercial pilots licence but haven't flown for 15 yrs! Anyone out there got any idea's

Hi there ,

I'm a Brit and already hold a full WA MC LICENCE ( expired ) and lived in Australia for 6 yrs back in the late 90's. Would like to move back out this time perminatly but have been reading that i cannot get a work permit/ visa these days in this occupation. Am wondering if my previous experience might help me any? 25 yrs experience...I also hold an Australian commercial pilots licence but haven't flown for 15 yrs! Anyone out there got any idea's

You cant get a new skilled visa on driving, it would be unlikely you could pass a skills assessment now as a commercial pilot, though it may be worth investigating, but normally you would need at least 2 years in the last 5 experience. What visa were you there on in the 90's?

Having trouble with this site....All over the place unsure how to post etc!!!

I came over on a student visa for 3 yrs and took my CPL...then the twin towers came down and turmoil ensued with very experienced pilots going back ways !! Long story , but ended up in new Zealand driving there

I'm not sure what you mean by "You cant get a new skilled visa on driving" ??

If you don't get a reply for a while i'm lost in system again! but i think getting hang of it now

In order to obtain a visa to live and work in Australia, you need to have an occupation on one of the two lists of occupations published by the government known as SOL and CSOL.

At the moment, HGV driving is not on either of the lists and so not eligible for a skilled or sponsored visa - that is what I meant by "You cant get a new skilled visa on driving".

The past visa will be of no use. If you had gained a permanent residence visa when you were in Australia previously, there might have been a slim chance to apply for a resident return visa, but there is nothing available for someone who had only been on a temporary visa such as a student visa.

Commercial pilot is on the lists, however, in order to be eligible, part of the visa process requires something called a "Skills Assessment". This is an assessment of the qualifications and experience in order to say you actually are qualified in the occupation you are applying under. However, normally, they will insist that you have 2-3 years recent experience, which they regard as being in the last 5 years. So, I think your pilots license will be an issue with this. However, there are some exceptions and it is worth speaking to a good registered migration agent such as http://www.gomatilda.com/

Thanks for your time....

Yeh , i miss read what you put actually , thought you'd put you CAN get a new skilled visa...

I can use my pilots licence ...but would need to become current first and do some re-training which will be expensive , then get sponsored by a flight school to be a flying Instructor...been into all this. Could turn out to be a very expensive dead end!!

I think really only option is to become a student again on a 2/3 yr course which will mean i can use my MC licence ( very well paid! ) on a restricted basis and go from there.

Thanks for the help though...And i might try out the migration agent you suggested ...

You would have to be very careful with that strategy.

First, doing a course for 2-3 years on its own is unlikely to be enough as you would also need post qualification experience of 2-3 years. Also, you have to consider that the occupation lists change regularly and there is no guarantee that the occupation would still be on the list by then.

Also, you haven't mentioned your age - how old are you? The reason I ask is that there are cut off ages for points required for visas. After the age of 45, it is almost impossible to get enough points to qualify for a visa and the total cut off is 50.

As for truck driving, I think you would find it has changed a lot. It is certainly no longer a well paid job.