Stu Ersky

class 1 hgv driver

As for truck driving, I think you would find it has changed a lot. It is certainly no longer a well paid job.

You don't know many truckies, do you? :skeptical:

Hi robbiminator

I'm coming out to Perth in the next couple of weeks I've been a truck driver for the last twenty years my wife is seriously worried about my earning potential. I've done the last five years on the fuel tankers and prior to that 11 years as a heavy recovery technician, I was wondering if you have any hints or tips on where to look, I've looked on gumtree and seek but wondering if it's more people you know than advertised jobs. I'm doing the online fatigue management at the minute and will be doing the slp and dg licence when I arrive

do you have any good advice on any other courses I could do to up my changes

thanks terry

Hi I have been here for about 9 weeks, had to retake my class 1 and sick and tried of applying for jobs through agencies with no reply, I have managed to get a job working for sub contractor for a big supermarket chain over here, there does seem to be jobs over here but it is all casual or agency with a few days here or there. It's hard work even just trying to swap your licence over, I had 5 trips to the transport department trying to get mine changed over, now I can't take my road train for a year. I have been well advised to stay away from the mines they work you like a dog with few days off which are spent travelling to see your family, the guys on with toll at the supermarket I'm working at are on roughly $100000 a year but again getting on is going casual first.

hello pal sorry for the long wait for a reply.We're waiting to coming over on a contributal parental visa which is a long way about doing it but our only way we summited the visa 4 month ago which It can take up to 24 months but I believe averages 14/16 months so still along wait to go yet . Where abouts are you living at the minute ?

We still are not over yet. Got our visas a month ago now.

We leave on the 4th of November.

Gonna start off in Rockingham baldivis area. But we are open to where we live.

Just hope I can get work at least for the Xmas period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi mate, I came out here 16th November last year I took two week off on for a holiday, that turned out to be a two month holiday. From December through to the end of January it was pretty dire in the construction sector.

With regards to the mining, if you get the opportunity I would definite consider it. There's always two sides to every coin, and in my experience it's probably the best job I've ever had. Certainly the highest paying. The lifestyle may not be for everyone and yeah it can be a bit of a shock to the system but if you view it with the mindset of get in grab the money and get out as oppose to a long term career.

My idea was to go mining but I just can't get past the bloody recruitment agencies, I have applied for countless mining jobs since I have been and haven't been invited for an interview. My wife would love me to go away and earn some decent money.

It's been a while since posting but just wanted to catch up and see anyone has managed to get here and find work, reason being I was talking to my boss and is very interested in taking on British drivers, if interested let me know

I'm a tad premature but would be interested to know who your boss is.

We're not likely to be over for a couple of years, but my biggest concern is my OH finding work as a HGV driver (chilled distribution).

I'm really pleased this thread exists ?

Hope everything is going well for you!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It's been a while since posting but just wanted to catch up and see anyone has managed to get here and find work, reason being I was talking to my boss and is very interested in taking on British drivers, if interested let me know

hi hubby and i are landing in perth 4th october , 5 weeks time , and hubby is a lorry driver and will be looking for work as soon as really , he has a forklift licence and also passed his cpc driving etc .so could you please keep my hubby in mind if anything turns up thank you

We're coming over at the end of November - my husband currently drives class 2 especially dangerous goods! If any jobs within that field turn up please keep us in mind. He's ex army so has driven a range of vehicles whilst serving in transport corps.

Thanks Kate

We're coming over at the end of November - my husband currently drives class 2 especially dangerous goods! If any jobs within that field turn up please keep us in mind. He's ex army so has driven a range of vehicles whilst serving in transport corps.

Thanks Kate

He may have to retake his test.

Hi mate, I've been following this thread for a while. I arrived 5 March 2016 on PR and had a total nightmare convincing the driving office to grant me an MC learner permit after letters from the UK and many trips. Passed the MC test, then they refused to grant me the licence due to not having a lower class Aussie licence for at least a year. After appealing they agreed to issue my MC in May 2017 automatically and granted me the HC for now.

I've done all the extra tickets - fatigue management, high risk forklift, load restraint, white card, drivers medical and police clearance, called it a day on any more tickets for now until I got a job and might actually need them.

I've applied for countless jobs of all types and classes - bar a couple of knock-backs I haven't heard a thing. It's soul destroying. I think a total lack of network has had a play in all that so I would really appreciate any heads-up you might have mate. I've been driving artics for 16 years and never thought it would be so bloody difficult here.

Hi you have bare in mind that all your husband uk qualifications stand for nothing over here, it's all about having metro driving experience and Aussie tickets,first thing is retake his licence, there are different agencies out here, driver hire, Hayes and toll people, but they expect you to sit at home and wait for a call there are loads of transport companies I was going to go round them with cv's but got the job so haven't bothered yet