jay leyden

joiner just getting the ball rolling

hi me an my family r just starting the process to come out there, it will probably take ages but we aim to be out there in the new year.

i was just looking for some feed back on the work front weather there is a lot of work for joiners or weather im going to struggle.

any feed back would be great.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry but I am not able to give you any info about job availability as a joiner, but hopefully someone will come along shortly who can. Please do bear in mind that there is a recession under way in WA at the moment as the bottom has fallen out of the mining boom, and the repercussions are being felt across all areas and are being felt in the housing/building industry too. Not meaning to throw a damp squib at you, but just trying to be realistic.

Hi Jay

I,m a Chippy things have slowed m8 unfortunatly

what type carpentry do you do as over here they tend to stick to just one type ie Cabinet Making, Roof Carpentry or Fixing (Doors and Internal stuff) English Chippies Probably can do them all

If you are prepared to look for work and not affraid of cold calling you should be able to find work at the mo but if you are fussy in what you do you might struggle

The rates have fallen to I,ve seen Jobs advertised for as little as $25 per hour but things could change by the time you arrive

The other question is what you are bringing with you money wise if you are bringing a good amount then you might be able to subsidise your wages, will your other half able to work and fetch in an income there are alsorts to consider, lifestyle, where you want to live

Rents have come down, but again depending on your lifestyle and needs they can still be expensive

If you have your heart set on it I would give it a go m8 things are definatly different here but you can have such a great lifestyle if you are prepared to work for it but

Hope this helps just message me if you want anymore info I will be happy to try and help

Best of luck

Gary

Hi nice 1 for the advise is the recession all over oz or is it just in WA

i really have my heart set on Perth but I'm worried now that the money the chipped get is not Guna be enough to live on wit the wife has got the baby to look after.

i have a job alert on my phone and when the come through they all seem to be in the Sydney area

i really have my heart set on Perth but I'm worried now that the money the chipped get is not Guna be enough to live on wit the wife has got the baby to look after.

i have a job alert on my phone and when the come through they all seem to be in the Sydney area

WA is being most affected by the downturn however there are signs it may be spreading. The issue with Sydney is housing costs. Similar to central London. However, you are at very early stages of the process. You have 5 years from grant to make the move.

weve got friends in Melbourne and joinery very good there …. life good too ;o)