Top Tips for re-locating in Perth suburbs?

DandyDon

Hi All,

I have been looking through the internet at various websites without much in great success. I have just encountered this website/forum and will be trawling these message boards looking for advice. As I have just registered and this is my first post. I am a single guy, moving to Perth in the next 2 weeks with only what I can squeeze into a couple of suitcases (through work for a 2year minimum stay) and suddenly am little unsure at the tasks involved in where to stay, what to do, how to set myself up etc. As per my topic title, it would be appreciated if I could have any feedback on any issues regarding the following

• Websites and advice on suburbs? Popular / friendliest suburbs for expats? Popular / friendliest suburbs for bars / restaurants?

• Popular / best sites for renting furnished apartments/house? with or close to parks/gyms

• best sites for money transfers from UK to/from OZ?

• Car dealerships / websites in Perth area for researching and purchase/financing deals?

• Any popular golf resorts for expats?

or any other specific tips for what to do or in what urgency I should address any of the above?

Thanks & Regards

Hi and welcome to the forum. I hope I can help.

1. The members here can help with a lot of suburb advice as we have people all over Perth. A lot will come down to budget and of course where you will be working as Perth is VERY spread out and it could take a coupe of hours north to south. For people working fairly central, Fremantle is very popular - lots of bars and restaurants and also beach and a nice vibe. But, not cheap.

2. Furnished places are very rare - mainly just short term /holiday lets which would be VERY expensive to stay in long term. Such places are on sites like stayz.com.au

You might be best looking at a house / apartment share as these would be furnished. Gumtree is good for that. The main web site for normal unfurnished rentals is realestate.com.au

3. Money corp are best for this and they have there own part of the forum on here and I believe members get a discount. You can post to John from there directly on the forum. He is UK based so will be able answer closer to real time.

4. There are millions of car dealerships about and I don't think any are particularly better or worse than others. With financing, I am guessing you are coming on a 457 visa? In which case, be aware that car finance will be limited to a duration of just under the visa duration. So, if you have a 4 year visa, they will only offer finance to be paid off over 3.5 years.

5. There are lots of golf courses around Perth. Ones that are likely to have a lot of expats would be Joondalup and The Vines as there are a lot of expats live in these areas

Depends how far you want to live away from the city centre and budget.

Suburbs with a bit of life are Subiaco, Mt Lawley, Leederville Fremantle Scarborough for starters. Good public golf course in Wembley

gumtree for accommodation and everything else. Car dealerships - lots in Victoria Park

Hi @DandyDon.... Welcome to the forum.

Very hard to say what suburb is best as Perth is very spread out and it will depend on where you are working. Rule of thumb is that the closer to Perth city, the dearer rentals will be. It is very unusual to find furnished accommodation in Perth, apart from short term holiday accommodation, which can be very expensive. The majority of rentals are unfurnished, but will come with a water heater and cooker. Gumtree is a brilliant place to source second hand goods and you can get some really good bargains as there are a lot of people leaving Perth at the moment and selling their belongings cheaply. Bear in mind though that WA is in the midst of a depression and if you find a property you are interested in renting, that you can haggle the rental price. There are so many rentals empty at the moment that it is a renters market.

There are Parks and gyms in just about every suburb... some better than others, but no shortage of either.

As far as money transfer is concerned, contact John at Moneycorp (who advertises and posts on this forum). if you say you are a Perth Poms member you will get a discount, or even free transaction. John is a very helpful and knowledgeable guy and has in fact just been out to WA and many of us have met him and had business dealings with him. I recommend him unreservedly.

Cars... well it depends if you want to buy new or second hand. If you know a bit about cars and are happy to buy privately, Gumtree is the way to go. If not, there are two main areas of car dealers in Perth. One is in Osborne Park on Scarborough Beach Road, and the other is in Victoria Park along Albany Highway. As always with these sorts of places, there are goodies and baddies. John Hughes however is a very honest and ethical car dealer and very well respected in WA. He has both a second hand yard and various dealerships with new cars. Just google "John Hughes Car Dealer" and you will find a plethora of information. I don't personally know the guy, but I have many friends and family who have dealt with him and who will not go anywhere else..... so I recommend him on their say so.

Golf courses are everywhere and many are public courses. I don't play golf so can't give any specific recommendations, but perhaps just google and see what you come up with.

I hope we have been able to give you some help in your journey, but please come back with any other queries or questions you have.

Thanks for your advise guys!

I have been through quite a few of the threads on this forum and found quite a few helpful tips/sites etc. I've definitely learned a few things on here I wouldn't otherwise have figured out until it was probably too late.

I will be working in Wangara, north of Perth, therefore looks like i'll be apartment hunting in the northern suburbs. I've made contact with Moneycorp and visited the car dealer websites. Picked up on some probable cost of living expenses to be aware of etc. I can't access the gumtree website today but will make time to carry out some searches within the site.

Greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...
I've seen it recommended lots of times - that the Mal/local shopping centre is a good indication of the suburb

Yup. I once saw a woman chasing her husband with a length of 4x2 in the car park. They were both high/drunk.

One of the bystanders said "this happens all the time round here".

I didn't buy the house.