Is it time to stop & breath yet?!?!

kazb67

Hey everyone, just wanted to drop in a wee message to introduce ourselves, share our story & say hi.

My partner (40) & myself (35) visited Perth years ago & totally fell in love with it, helped by the fact prob that my brother lives there.

Since then I've always felt like I've kind of been wandering aimlessly through life. We both have good jobs & are comfortable i.e have nice cars, go nice hols....all material things though. I was always trying to figure out what it was that I needed to do, was it emigrate, start a family or carry on in quite a comfortable style of living?????

Anyway at the start of last year we had a bit of a chat about it all. We're cracking on in age so if we wanted to do any of it we need to get a wriggle on but what to do 1st?!?! Start a family here in UK or wait until we emigrated to Aus.....IF we were successful in our visa application....decisions decisions. Then we just thought to hell with it, we'll just crack on & see what happens.

So here we are, just over a year later & what a year it's been!!!!! We ripped apart our house, had a beautiful baby boy who's now 6 months old & got our PR visa granted!!!! Woohoo :wacko:

Ive booked flights for Nov this year to come over for a hol/good look around with a view to sussing out areas we might like to rent initially. We've opted not to stay with friends/family as we want to try & do some "every-day things" that we wouldn't do otherwise. It will still very much be a holiday but I want to do some food shopping, use public transport & spend some time just the 3 of us in the evenings.

We more than likely won't move for another year or so yet. We've 3 dogs, 2 of which are elderly so it just wouldn't be fair to try & relocate them. We'll stay here with them until they leave us IYKWIM but bring the other dog with us.

.....Anyway that's us in a (largish) nutshell. The info I have gathered from this site & Pomsinoz has been invaluable so far & will no doubt continue to be so as we start the next leg of our adventure through life :laugh:

Hi and welcome to PP - congratulations on your baby boy and your visa. As you say, your visit is a holiday and nothing quite re-creates living and working but I like your suggestion of staying on your own and exploring and having an element of 'real life'.

Thank you, we're so excited but know we'll have a few more ups & downs. Nothing worth having comes easily, if it did, it wouldn't really be worth having.

Absolutely ali, nothing will fully prepare us for what it will be like until we are actually living it. We're really looking forward to our hol & will do lots of touristy things again.....Margaret River, Rottnest etc. It'll just be slightly diff this time as we don't want friends/family entertaining us 24/7.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, congrats and well done. Staying independently is a great idea, but do it as if you are really living here. I mean in a more focused mode. Things and few processes and even some products names will be different but do one thing, don't do comparisons too much. We didn't know anyone here, had no relative, and had no choice but to get on with it. Just consider it as an adventure, as I did and everything will work out fine plus you have at least your job and home to go back to if the experience fell short of your expectations.