Why Perth/WA?

jorw

Hi folks,

I'm doing some research into what attracts folks to WA/Perth and would really like to hear from you folks.

Originally, I wanted to head to Queensland to be near the great barrier reef, but my skills assessment came back as Chief Information Officer, which wasn't on the SOL, but was on the WA list, and took the choice out of my hands. I'm very glad though and haven't looked back, as the more I've found out about the place, the more amazing the place seems and I can't wait to get there. The whole state has such a variety of landscapes, including it's own barrier reef, there look's to be quite a lot of culture and each suburb having it's own identity along with many community events bringing people together. I can't wait to get there and explore.

For us it was work. We had originally moved to Sydney in 2008, then the GFC happened and within a very short time of arriving, I found I had to look for a new job urgently. We were on 457 visas and in them days you only had 28 days to find another sponsor if you lost your job, or leave the country. I had not been made redundant, but had been warned it was inevitable - we had only been in the country 4 weeks! I got an offer from a big company in Perth and that was that.

1. The hot weather

2. The beaches

3. I found a great bit of land where I am aiming to build my house end eventually retire.

4. Partly, the isolation, moving to Perth from London, London is so packed and especially in the last few years I found that my area had gone down hill really fast.

5. Things, places close early, non of this open 24 hours, 7 days a week, Christmas day, Boxing day, every bloody day and night,

6. The weather again.

It's were one of our sons live!

That said we have visited a couple of times, and there is just something about the place which you cant put your finger on! Friendly people, great weather, good mix of work life balance it seems, Time will tell but those are some of the reasons we decided Perth!

My entire family had emigrated here, so I was the last to join them 25 years ago. I had been for many holidays and even lived here on a working holiday in the early 70's and always loved it. the weather was a very large attraction too. My working holiday took me around the whole of Australia and PNG for over two years, but I always felt an affinity with Perth. I have never regretted the decision.

life opportunities, outdoor lifestyle, low crime rate, climate, beaches, weird and wonderful creatures, it's a relatively new city in a relatively new country and has the flexibility to take risks because it doesn't have a long standing infrastructure, it's on the Indian ocean coast, it has penguin island, there's a number of companies investing and developing internet of things echnologies, it has its own barrier reef, you can go swimming with whale sharks, there seems to be a family valued culture, for just a few reasons.

life opportunities, outdoor lifestyle, low crime rate, climate, beaches, weird and wonderful creatures, it's a relatively new city in a relatively new country and has the flexibility to take risks because it doesn't have a long standing infrastructure, it's on the Indian ocean coast, it has penguin island, there's a number of companies investing and developing internet of things echnologies, it has its own barrier reef, you can go swimming with whale sharks, there seems to be a family valued culture, for just a few reasons.

I would say some of your reasons are valid, some not so.

Outdoor life. Some find it, but some don't because the heat can be too oppressive. In my opinion, if your an outdoor person in the UK you will be in Oz, but if your not in the UK you wont be in Oz. Australia has just as many kids sat playing Mine Craft in their bedrooms as the UK.

Low crime rate. Both are actually about the same. There are some types of crime that are a bit lower and some a bit higher, but overall about the same. For example, knife crime is slightly lower, but gun crime slightly higher. Though they have been some fairly huge rises recently - double digit in percentage terms.

Risks. WA is notoriously conservative. By far the most conservative of all the states.

Penguin Island is lovely, though an afternoon has covered it pretty much. There is only a very limited time of year to see penguins in the wild - around January.

Reef. Yes, Ningaloo is wonderful, though not exactly on the door step - its a decent length flight and then a fairly expensive program to see the whale sharks.

I think this thread shows that it's all very subjective - I know that often people (generally who don't like WA) go on about the isolation - but for us we have never felt isolated in the slightest - just shows that it's each to his own and what one person likes another will loath.

I think this thread shows that it's all very subjective - I know that often people (generally who don't like WA) go on about the isolation - but for us we have never felt isolated in the slightest - just shows that it's each to his own and what one person likes another will loath.

I agree Ali.

I travelled and lived in many major cities around the world until I was in my eary 40's, but I realised 30 years ago that I really was a small town girl and Perth suits me because of that. At times I actually find Perth too much and have been thinking about moving more rural.....

I agree Ali.

I travelled and lived in many major cities around the world until I was in my eary 40's, but I realised 30 years ago that I really was a small town girl and Perth suits me because of that. At times I actually find Perth too much and have been thinking about moving more rural.....

Where do you fancy?

Outdoor life. Some find it, but some don't because the heat can be too oppressive. In my opinion, if your an outdoor person in the UK you will be in Oz, but if your not in the UK you wont be in Oz.

You make valid points. I disagree with this though. Really depends on the person and WHAT they are doing outside. I hated the cold (in combination with rain) so much I didn't want to go outside. Additionally if you are an ocean-loving person it opens whole new doors.

You make valid points. I disagree with this though. Really depends on the person and WHAT they are doing outside. I hated the cold (in combination with rain) so much I didn't want to go outside. Additionally if you are an ocean-loving person it opens whole new doors.

Yes I agree, it's so much easier to have an outdoor lifestyle here. No heavy duty rain gear to go for a walk on the beach!

We have always been outdoor people - it is why I became a geologist really. But, we found it harder to go hiking in WA, than we did in the UK. In fact, in the month we have been back, we have already done more walking than we did in the last year.

Yes agree we love walking but do less here it too warm to do proper walks.

Do walks on the beach and enjoy them.

Yes agree we love walking but do less here it too warm to do proper walks.

Do walks on the beach and enjoy them.

We enjoyed beach walks, but it gets a bit dull eventually. Nothing can beat a good countryside walk. Off here next weekend http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/green-spaces/burnham-beeches-and-stoke-common/Pages/default.aspx

Last weekend, we did a city walk to show family Windsor - around the castle and thing and then down The Long Walk. The weather was perfect - slightly crisp but sunny. We had all been for a great sunday lunch at a pub. So perfect to walk it off.

We enjoyed beach walks, but it gets a bit dull eventually. Nothing can beat a good countryside walk. Off here next weekend http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/green-spaces/burnham-beeches-and-stoke-common/Pages/default.aspx

Last weekend, we did a city walk to show family Windsor - around the castle and thing and then down The Long Walk. The weather was perfect - slightly crisp but sunny. We had all been for a great sunday lunch at a pub. So perfect to walk it off.

Do miss our long walks,followed by a drink in the pub

Well my Godson lives in Margaret River and I spend a lot of time down there with him and his family, so that is a possibility..... and one of my foster kids lives in Geraldton and I love going there too...... always open to suggestions Ali.....

Margaret river !! Went there two weeks ago loved it !! Sort of reminded me of Canada ?