TAWS11

Plumbers help please

Hi guys. Hoping to get visa in next few months. Completed my skills assessment with Vetassess yesterday, so one step closer. Just want to ask if anyone can give me details of what I need to do once I arrive before I can start working, and what I need to do thereafter. I've heard lots of different things, but want to know from someone who's actually done it?

Many thanks in advance

Tom

Hi guys. Hoping to get visa in next few months. Completed my skills assessment with Vetassess yesterday, so one step closer. Just want to ask if anyone can give me details of what I need to do once I arrive before I can start working, and what I need to do thereafter. I've heard lots of different things, but want to know from someone who's actually done it?

Many thanks in advance

Tom

Hey Tom,

Hope the move over goes smoothly!!

Regarding you obtaining a plumbing job will require you to undertake the 'migrant plumbing course' at Challenger TAFE - Rockingham or MPA Skills - (Maylands I think) both are around 2weeks full time and will cost in the region of $3000 all in,

With your trade assessment certificate in sure you can apply for a provisional plumbers license that will allow you to work for 12months with a company or a licensed plumber but you need to do the above course with the 12 month period,

Having said that, don't expect to be paid top rates in that 1st year anyway, in fact I'd fully expect you to be paid around $25 - $30p/hr. Companies know you'll be desperate to get your foot in the door so will be happy with a job, if you have seen on seek.com.au most companies are asking for a minimum 2 years WA experience, and if you haven't got that then you become the Mersey of the employer,

Also most companies want you to be gas trained, so if you have your gas safe from the uk make sure it's Upto date as this will cost you another $2000-$3000 to get the 1st part of the training sorted, if you are not gas trained from the uk? It's another head ache as you'll need to fill out a log book to state you've done xyz of gas installs etc,

to undertake servicing and repairs of gas appliances then this is another course priced at $2000 and is 2 weeks as well, but not all companies want you to have this ticket but it is very handy,

A small word of warning though, the construction industry has been slowing down as of late and there isn't as many jobs for plumbers at the moment,

When I came over last year seek.com.au had well over 200 jobs for plumbers now you'll be lucky if there is 100,

If you have any other questions just ask

Cheers