Best bank account for new arrivals?

mazey

Hello all,

Probably a very basic question, but I couldn't see any recent threads on this... can anyone recommend which bank account to open ahead of moving to WA? I think the NAB deal on the sticky post looks great, but just wanted to check if anyone had any other experiences or recommendations to share? Many thanks! :-)

Hi you just took the words out of my mouth!!....sorry I can't help, but I am interested in the answer....... I just logged on here to ask the same question, so hope you don't mind me commenting on your post.

We move out in 8 weeks & I'm looking to open an account ahead of flying but didn't know how easy that'd be without knowing the address we're going to be living at yet x x x

Hi you just took the words out of my mouth!!....sorry I can't help, but I am interested in the answer....... I just logged on here to ask the same question, so hope you don't mind me commenting on your post.

We move out in 8 weeks & I'm looking to open an account ahead of flying but didn't know how easy that'd be without knowing the address we're going to be living at yet x x x

Do have any particular recommendation, we went with ANZ but all the big banks are a much of a muchness like back home.

It's actually easier to open the account while you're still in the UK, you just have to go to the bank branch when you get here to activate it with less ID than you would need if opening it here.

It also means you can transfer money to be waiting when you get here.

Does anyone know how long it takes to open an account in the UK for Aus? We leave in 2.5 weeks!

I've just checked and I applied online and got confirmation that it had been set up the next day with a note that a ANZ representative would call within 3 working days to set up the Internet Banking Customer Registration Number (CRN) and Telecode. It also says that deposits can be made immediately but withdrawals can't be made until you've visited the branch within 6 weeks of arrival. They did say that the cards would be waiting at the branch when we arrived but that didn't happen (I think they were actually there but the branch didn't check).

• 6 months later...

Hi Mazey

When it comes to everyday transaction account, they are all the same. What I would look for is the account keeping fees.

Also, if you are looking at credit cards, you should also find a card that doesn’t charge you an annual fee. We use https://financialservices.coles.com.au/credit-cards/no-annual-fee-mastercard

If you are looking at a mortgage; then the big 4 are not as competitive as lot of the smaller lenders. This is where you can save real money.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Sasha

Hi Mazey

When it comes to everyday transaction account, they are all the same. What I would look for is the account keeping fees.

Also, if you are looking at credit cards, you should also find a card that doesn’t charge you an annual fee. We use https://financialservices.coles.com.au/credit-cards/no-annual-fee-mastercard

If you are looking at a mortgage; then the big 4 are not as competitive as lot of the smaller lenders. This is where you can save real money.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Sasha

I think it can depend - when we got a mortgage Westpac offered the best deal for us at the time.

I think it can depend - when we got a mortgage Westpac offered the best deal for us at the time.

Hi Ali

Was the Westpac best out of the big 4? Rate is important, but lot of the time, it comes down to policy.

But if the policy is not an issue, then shop for better rate I say. You should be able to get your variable rate under 4%, provided you have 20% equity in your home.

Cheers

Sasha