GCSE dilemma:(

Pomjill

Hi,

i don't think this is in the right forum heading so apologies.

We have been in Perth for 8 months now and are settled and happy.

The only downside is my husband only has a contract job, which will finish July 2017. There will be no offer of permi work after that ( he has been told) and the company only hire contractors for a maximum of 2 years. There is a clause stating that they don't re employ contractors?

Anyway, my dilemma is this, I have a 15 year old son in year 10. If we have to go back to the UK (which given the job market here, we will probably have no choice), when should we go? This year to get my son into year 11 in the UK so at least he could do the main GCSES, or hold out here to see if anything miraculously happens job wise??

i know no one can know the answer to this, but has anyone been in this situation with kids involved?

if we wait until next year and my husband hasn't secured permanent work, then my son will have no qualifications and colleges only offer maths and English re sits!

we are all happy here and my son is too but I am having sleepless nights worrying about his future.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks xxx

It is a hard one. One of the big things is university and if he is likely to want to go. If so, then I would recommend he move this year as generally, he needs to have been back in the UK for 3 years prior to going to uni otherwise he would be treated as an international student. This would mean no assistance and international level fees - very expensive

Have you ever thought about moving to another city in Australia? I know this is something we would definitely consider if it doesn't work outing Perth....

Yes we have but kids reluctant to uproot again, plus husband has been applying to Sydney but hearing nothing!:(

I'm not sure how it works or if it's even possible anymore but there was an English lady in Cairns who managed to get her children in to Australia on student visas and she was permitted as a guardian. The children were 7 and 14, when they finished Year 12 she needed to organise herself another visa, unfortunately she married a wife beater just to get her visa.

• 2 months later...
Hi,

i don't think this is in the right forum heading so apologies.

We have been in Perth for 8 months now and are settled and happy.

The only downside is my husband only has a contract job, which will finish July 2017. There will be no offer of permi work after that ( he has been told) and the company only hire contractors for a maximum of 2 years. There is a clause stating that they don't re employ contractors

Anyway, my dilemma is this, I have a 15 year old son in year 10. If we have to go back to the UK (which given the job market here, we will probably have no choice), when should we go? This year to get my son into year 11 in the UK so at least he could do the main GCSES, or hold out here to see if anything miraculously happens job wise??

i know no one can know the answer to this, but has anyone been in this situation with kids involved?

if we wait until next year and my husband hasn't secured permanent work, then my son will have no qualifications and colleges only offer maths and English re sits!

we are all happy here and my son is too but I am having sleepless nights worrying about his future.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks xxx

Hi,

I presume you are on PR visas? July next year is a little while away, would you be able to manage off one wage coming in? The job market is difficult at the moment, taking longer to get employment but if you like Perth, and you have PR visa's I would be looking at keep trying for employment and looking how you can reduce any outgoings, if you can manage hopefully your son will be able to stay in the school he has settled in - good luck.