Employment

I am guessing it is for IT roles?

Perth has never had a big IT industry as a lot of Perth companies have their IT departments over east - it used to infuriate me as the time difference was a serious pain.

I have heard people sing the praises of Hays, though personally I was never a fan. Have you considered marketing yourself direct as a contractor?

Unfortunately in WA, many jobs don't make it to employment agencies as it is more about who you know, than what you know. Agency fees can be huge, and in the current economic climate in WA, employers often prefer to recruit directly and not involve an agency. It can also be hard to break into some specific employment arenas without any network buddies to help.

Before I retired I was an HR Manager, and whilst jobs were advertised, many of the short contract positions were not and were given to people either known to the relevant supervisor, or to those people who had cold-called and requested a meet with the HR Manager (me) and left their CV for future reference. Whenever I was given a short term contract to fill, I always went through the pile of CV's I had on my desk first and usually there was someone who stood out, especially if I had met them, and I would give them a chance to prove themself. It didn't always work, but when it did, it often led onto more employment for that person.

Often too, it can be beneficial to offer to do "work experience" in a particular role that you are qualified to do. Some people say that it is slave labour, but at least it lets the employer see what you are capable of, and even if it doesn't lead to employment with that company, you never know what connections you can make with people you would be working with and what can come from that. Remember networks are the go in WA.

As I said, WA is very different from anywhere you have ever lived and worked before. It is geographically a massive state, but it still has a small town mentality, and it can be hard to adjust to that if you come from a big busy international forward thinking city. When we first arrived in WA in 1991, it took me a while to realise that, and it took me 2 years to get a permanent job after sporadic temp jobs of any description, periods of unemployment and then doing work experience to get my face and name out there. Doing voluntary work experience worked for me and I always recommend that people just think about it. Sometimes you have to downscale your aspirations and do anything to initially earn a crust. After all the bottom line is that you have emigrated to another country for another life and new experiences, so you cannot just expect to pick up a job exactly the same as the one you had. Some people can and do, but so many others don't.

I wish you well in your search for work... I know only too well how you must be feeling. Keep positive! :biggrin: Rossy

Don't use agencies .. they are rubbish. Go to the companies themselves.

(I'm in IT, and got the run-arround from recruitment places for 3 weeks till I went direct).

And I also doubt there will be recruiters in CV. They'll all be in the city.

thanks all, I think I just needed to vent my frustration. I just don't seem to be getting any bites... and all these friendly recruiters are very nice, but when it comes to the crunch, I am just not hearing from them. I suppose I just need to keep plodding on in the hope that something will happen for me! cheers guys

thanks all, I think I just needed to vent my frustration. I just don't seem to be getting any bites... and all these friendly recruiters are very nice, but when it comes to the crunch, I am just not hearing from them. I suppose I just need to keep plodding on in the hope that something will happen for me! cheers guys

Yup, they are great for the sit down, have a coffee and talk about your experience.

Not so good at finding you a job.

I had one call, I think about 22 months in, asking if I was still looking as they'd found me something.

I was a little sarcastic in my reply, so I'm probably in their naughty list now.

• 2 weeks later...