Working holiday visa

Larraine H

Just after some advice. I live in Perth and am a citizen. Been here from UK since 2006. My son is 29 and is looking at coming over for a year on a working holiday visa later this year. It says he must have access to at least $5000au does this have to be in his own bank acct or can me or his father give him access to funds here in Oz and supply him with a certified bank statement from here in Oz?

if anyone can help I'd be grateful...thanks

The guidelines for WHV (subclass 417) discuss a number of ways how the applicant can demonstrate sufficient funds under the "Money for personal support" requirement. These include

• bank passbooks
  • bank account statements and/or credit card statements (on a bank or financial institution letterhead)
  • letters from banks or other financial institutions (which should be on the bank or financial institution's letterhead, dated and signed) and/or
  • written confirmation by a third party and documents to show that the third party has sufficient funds by providing bank account statement/passbooks.

Therefore if he doesn't already have a bank account then the best option would be the highlighted option above with you (or his father) as the third party providing support from your own funds.

It may be advisable for your son to arrange for an Australian bank account before he arrives so that any salary that he earns can be paid to that account. Most banks provide free (or low cost) transaction accounts for this sort of purpose.

Part of the advantage of the 417 visa is that it can be used as a vehicle for personal growth and obtaining new skills. I would suggest that managing one's own finances through a bank account is an essential skill which should be encouraged.

Edited by ricco56