Leanne Fawcett

Seeking Employment

Hi everyone,

Have been seeking employment in Perth here for weeks now and not hearing anything back. Ideally I would love to work within the animal industry but have also had previous experience within Admin if anyone knows anybody looking?

If anyone could give me some advice as to what websites are the best or how to become more noticed here in WA that would be great

Also @Leanne Fawcett bear in mind that with the economic downturn in WA at the moment, it is much harder to find work than it used to be. A lot of employers are not using agencies as much as they did... some use Seek.com.... some are relying on word of mouth and people who have cold-called asking for work. The best advice I can give you is to make a list of places you would like to work, and then go and visit them with a copy of your CV and introduce yourself.

Also, the visa you are on will have a great bearing on whether you are successful as employers often will not consider someone on a WHV if the position available is permanent. Do you have any qualifications in the animal industry? Vet - nurse etc?

Wishing you luck in your search.

Yeah a lot of people have been saying that... guess I shall have to be more patient and broaden my search to other things!

Thanks for the advice I will go and do that :) I don't have a vert nursing qualification but back home I went to a college and gained an Animal Management Diploma.. Don't know if that will help me at all over here?

Yeah a lot of people have been saying that... guess I shall have to be more patient and broaden my search to other things!

Thanks for the advice I will go and do that :) I don't have a vert nursing qualification but back home I went to a college and gained an Animal Management Diploma.. Don't know if that will help me at all over here?

Good that you have a permanent residency visa. Are you aware that there is a government department in WA that will assess overseas qualifications? http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/services/overseas-qualification-unit. Might be worth a visit to find out if they can help you.

I doubt if your UK qualifications will be worth jack here. You have to re train in most things its chronic..... Neither my phlebotomy or holistic therapy qualifications,are recognised here..........

Hi Leanne,

As Rossmoyne said go to the places youd like to work and introduce yourself. I did exactly this, armed with CV and smartly dressed I went round and asked if they had any jobs. Got couple of interviews out of it and got the job im in now that way. I did SEEK as well and had a couple of interviews from it but there were loads I applied for and never heard a thing back!!

Be a bit careful I had some not nice experiances on more than one occasion of being offered the job, shaking hands etc only to be told at a later date that theyd promoted from within or the person that offered me the job not returning calls and remaining uncontactable.

It does seem to be a lot of who you know and not what you know, here.

Good luck