Where do you buy your booze and why?

Rossmoyne

Now please don't get the idea that I am on the road to alcoholism, but being confined to home for weeks following surgery, I have been entertaining myself on the internet, and I have realised there are so many different places to buy booze in the metro area. I just buy the odd bottle of wine and go with the specials that various outlets advertise, but it seems that there is a bit of a "Booze buying war" out there that I had no idea about!

So are you like me and just buy a bottle when you fancy one and go for the specials, or do you frequent the same outlet so they know you when you walk in the door?

I do have to say that I used to mostly go to the booze barn at the old Riverton Hotel on High Road, but since that got bulldozed to make way for yet another unwanted Coles supermarket, I have been shopping in many other venues.

I only buy Australian, and sometimes NZ wine.... and have a nice bottle of Houghtons SSB cooling for dinner tonight.

Interesting to hear everyone's journey on the booze buying trip.

:laugh:

weve been enjoying the Houghtons … funny as its my father in laws surname , so we sent him a pic ! and said wed buy him a bottle if he visits .

As for our beer/wine buying - i still cant get my head round the drive thru system …. so funny ! but we just visit whitfords or local in kallaroo :o)

i do enjoy a coopers .

• 2 weeks later...
BWS for the basics as it's the closest, Dan Murphy for bulk buying the better stuff.

Then local wineries / Marg River for a run now and again for the local stuff.

Now this I like! Some great wineries out in the Swan Valley and I am slowly working my way through the cellar doors in Margaret River..... latest find was Swings and Roundabouts on Caves Road.... have you tried that?

I like to buy my beers from those drive thru bottle shops, doesn't matter which one, just as long as its a drive thru bottle shop.

There is something magical about ordering a beer whilst still in your motor with the engine running. ( wife driving of course ).

McDonalds drive thru is so 1990's.

Well Rossmoyne, I'm a Red Wine man but having been drinking American Reds for years I have found the Aussie stuff a bit too strong for me. Ive tried a couple of lite ones but still no good. Moved onto ciders but found them a bit sweet so tried the fruity beers (not a Beer drinker unless it flat and warm bitter) I really liked the Redds Apple Beer but the Bottlos round here seems to have stopped selling it!! Just my luck!!

I'm not really a shop around guy so wherever I'm passing!

As I couldn't find anything nice to drink, on a copious amount nightly basis, I did what any self respecting over weight immigrant should do and took up running and started going to Karate, recon ive easily lost a stone in last 6 weeks!!

Only thing is the Mrs has started to fancy me again and without wine I'm not sure im gonna get through!!:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I like to buy my beers from those drive thru bottle shops, doesn't matter which one, just as long as its a drive thru bottle shop.

There is something magical about ordering a beer whilst still in your motor with the engine running. ( wife driving of course ).

McDonalds drive thru is so 1990's.

So love your style Edna...

Well Rossmoyne, I'm a Red Wine man but having been drinking American Reds for years I have found the Aussie stuff a bit too strong for me. Ive tried a couple of lite ones but still no good. Moved onto ciders but found them a bit sweet so tried the fruity beers (not a Beer drinker unless it flat and warm bitter) I really liked the Redds Apple Beer but the Bottlos round here seems to have stopped selling it!! Just my luck!!

I'm not really a shop around guy so wherever I'm passing!

As I couldn't find anything nice to drink, on a copious amount nightly basis, I did what any self respecting over weight immigrant should do and took up running and started going to Karate, recon ive easily lost a stone in last 6 weeks!!

Only thing is the Mrs has started to fancy me again and without wine I'm not sure im gonna get through!!:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Suck it up Jase!!!! Seriously though, there are so many different types of red wine.... I am not a great red wine lover and I have found some just too heavy for me. However I persevered and tested out a wide range of them and have settled on "Fifth Leg" Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot as a smooth tasty but not too heavy red..... bonus it comes from Margaret River... visit the winery whenever I visit my family down there and always come away with a bottle or two. Actually saw it on special in First Choice Liquor a couple of weeks ago and stocked the wine rack accordingly..... Give it a try?! Rossy

• 3 weeks later...