4 months in and still no work

Scotty81

Hey everyone

i moved over here with my wife and 18 month old son 4 month ago.

my wife had a job to come to as a HR manager for a dental company in freo but I still can't find any work!!

its getting tough now, back in the uk I worked in the oil and gas as a rigger then made my way up to be a supervisor but since arriving in Australia my rigging Certs are not recognised and I feel as tho im starting all over again!

i am willing to do anything ie labouring or trade assistant work to try and earn some money, does anyone know what I could do or if anyone might know someone looking for an extra pair of hands somewhere?

any help or advice would be much appreciated as I feel the last piece of the missing jigsaw is me finding work, I have applied for so many jobs now through seek and various other recruitment agencies in Perth and keep getting the knock back....I know the biggest problem is not having any Australian employment on my CV

Thanks again

Scott

@Scotty81…… we feel your pain - honestly !!!

we had to wait 7 weeks for my wifes job ….. and watching money (our life savings ) disappear was so hard .

But , where not to bad now - as manage ok on one wage and ill try and find something when littlest starts kindi .

Not sure what advice i can give apart from enjoy whats here for free , enjoy the sunsets and the ocean …… im sure youll find work soon.

So, sending positive thoughts your way ;o)

@Scotty81…… we feel your pain - honestly !!!

we had to wait 7 weeks for my wifes job ….. and watching money (our life savings ) disappear was so hard .

But , where not to bad now - as manage ok on one wage and ill try and find something when littlest starts kindi .

Not sure what advice i can give apart from enjoy whats here for free , enjoy the sunsets and the ocean …… im sure youll find work soon.

So, sending positive thoughts your way ;o)

Thanks....it has been nice enjoying having this time with my son as I missed out on it all back in the uk, I just need a job so we can move forward buying a house for us to live in....I'm just finding it tough as I have never been out of work in all my working life and to all of a sudden be unemployed for 4 months is a tough feeling...I just feel like a nobody here....but I'm not going to give up as I love Australia and my son is so much happier.... I really thought I would of found some sort of work by now.

Hi Scott

I understand how you must feel, truly. I experienced the same problem with my certs when we arrived. And you are right when you write about 'starting all over again'. I have/had over 20 years experience in the scaffolding industry held every job from yard boy through to senior contracts manager, estimator, surveyor. But all my experience and knowledge were worth f846 all when I arrived.

Quickly realised, as perhaps you are, that here it is all about Who and not What. I have had supervisors and managers (who would not have lasted as a teaboy until breakfast back in the UK) telling me that they have completed the Australian '2 week be advanced in anything you want' courses that are on offer and therefore know EVERYTHING about scaffolding. I started off getting riled and angry then realised that it really was not worth it. A bitter pill to swallow. I have experienced so many occasions when I have been shut out of work opportunities BECAUSE my experience and knowledge was seen as a threat to the management in place. Namely because none of them had reached their position through being any good. But rather because they they were friends with the HR girls that book the workers and were Australian. Controversial maybe? But true. Not what you want to hear but in time I hope you realise that it was not the worst suggestion you will get.

Unfortunately you are now looking for work against a backdrop of large layoffs in our industry from the mines. I myself have taken a 50% drop in my gross earnings for the tax year ended. And have not had a sniff of work for over 13 weeks now. I can only tell you to keep on looking and be ready and willing to take any opportunity that comes along. And when you get that chance be careful about how telling how knowledgeable you are. It can (ridiculously) hurt you as much help.

I wish you luck with your journey. Keep your head high. Keep your stress level down and do not let it affect your families early experience of moving to this wonderful state.

Hi Scott

I understand how you must feel, truly. I experienced the same problem with my certs when we arrived. And you are right when you write about 'starting all over again'. I have/had over 20 years experience in the scaffolding industry held every job from yard boy through to senior contracts manager, estimator, surveyor. But all my experience and knowledge were worth f846 all when I arrived.

Quickly realised, as perhaps you are, that here it is all about Who and not What. I have had supervisors and managers (who would not have lasted as a teaboy until breakfast back in the UK) telling me that they have completed the Australian '2 week be advanced in anything you want' courses that are on offer and therefore know EVERYTHING about scaffolding. I started off getting riled and angry then realised that it really was not worth it. A bitter pill to swallow. I have experienced so many occasions when I have been shut out of work opportunities BECAUSE my experience and knowledge was seen as a threat to the management in place. Namely because none of them had reached their position through being any good. But rather because they they were friends with the HR girls that book the workers and were Australian. Controversial maybe? But true. Not what you want to hear but in time I hope you realise that it was not the worst suggestion you will get.

Unfortunately you are now looking for work against a backdrop of large layoffs in our industry from the mines. I myself have taken a 50% drop in my gross earnings for the tax year ended. And have not had a sniff of work for over 13 weeks now. I can only tell you to keep on looking and be ready and willing to take any opportunity that comes along. And when you get that chance be careful about how telling how knowledgeable you are. It can (ridiculously) hurt you as much help.

I wish you luck with your journey. Keep your head high. Keep your stress level down and do not let it affect your families early experience of moving to this wonderful state.

Thanks for for your advice, you are very true in what you are saying, I have found out that it seems to be who you know not what you know here, and unfortunately im finding it very hard to even meet/ talk to anyone as I'm looking after my son during the day and not getting out meeting people...I just really find it hard, my fingers are crossed something will come up but at the moment I feel I will never get the a job! But I'm determined and will keep trying :-)

Well mate did you not make enquiries about your tickets before you came over. Never mind it would not have really helped you. I am from the UK and came in 1980 and did a 3.5 yrs apprenticeship with the Victorian SEC and was issued with Rigging 1234+6 and Scaffolding 1&2

worked until 1996 as a rigger here there and everywhere and then went back to the UK and was employed by BT as an advanced communications rigger for 17yrs till November last year. I came back to WA and my tickets are not recognised any longer as new issues by Worksafe are now the only tickets you can work with. Your pissed off how do you think I feel when my tickets were Australian to begin with.

It is all a big con to get you to go to an RTO Registered Training Organisation to pay them to site the test for Rigging Basic/Intermediate or Advanced.

You can be a window cleaner street cleaner anything you want to be and go and pay your money to the RTO of your choice and if you pass the weeks course you are a licence RIGGER what a joke.

Now mate I attended these courses and paid thousands to get my Australian Rigging tickets re issued and you are going to have to do the same if you want to work in this industry.

There is still plenty of rigging work about if you are willing to go out and look for it. FiFo/Agency rigging and even on Gumtree you can pick up the work. But as a previous person said to you (keep your mouth shut about you prior experience and knowledge) best to follow for a while not lead. Good luck mate and any help I can give just drop me a line.

• 1 month later...

Hello Scott

Have you tried LinkForce mate? they are always looking for staff, only problem is, its all FIFO shutdown work, but if you get your WA riggers tickets, you'll get a better hourly rate, probably $46 p/h.

Alternatively, there is SkillForce, ATIVO and Skilled.

Good luck.

Scott

I have never understood why so many employers here do not want to employ new migrants. So very many people find it hard to just get a job, any job, let alone trying to get a job in their normal line of work/career. Having said that though, there is a shortage of jobs in WA at the moment because of the downturn of the mining industry, and whilst there have been many leave the state to seek work on the east coast, there are also so many ex FIFO workers trying to get work back in Perth. Not an easy time in WA jobwise at the moment unfortunately.

Because a fair number don't settle, and go home after a short time.

I am sure that is part of the reason, but why not give someone a go a least? One of the most common reasons not to employ a migrant is lack of local experience.... so how on earth are people meant to get that experience if no-one is prepared to give them a chance.

I am sure that is part of the reason, but why not give someone a go a least? One of the most common reasons not to employ a migrant is lack of local experience.... so how on earth are people meant to get that experience if no-one is prepared to give them a chance.

I hate to be so flippant, but why take the risk?

I always put the "lack of local experience" down as an excuse. They don't want/like you, and need a polite/legal reason.

Crikey @Bibbs i do like like your " no prisoner" attitude , does make me laugh :o)

No point pussy footing about.

For new starters, there will (more than likely) be a job out there for you. You just need to get out there and find it.

You will get a load of knockbacks (especially in the current climate) but don't take it personally, don't get offended and upset.

Cross it off, and carry on.

Aussies are quite insular. We also think we know best, so can get put off by "that's not how we did it back home" type comments. Our reply is "well go home then".

Good luck to those still looking. I've sent PMs to a few people I thought I could point in the right direction.

But just keep smashing through Seek, through LinkedIn .. even Gumtree and Facebook.

Also look direct on companies websites. Often it's the only place the big companies advertise.