we're on our way - visas granted!

ktg

Not sure where to post or even start! The whole visa process has taken us 12months but the final part of it being granted has taken us by surprise. Last Friday we submitted the final info (policy checks, medicals and form 80's) and we were told it would take about 8weeks - we found out yesterday our visas have been granted (so 2 working days) and now :arghh: not sure where to start!

Removal/shipping

flights (extra baggage)

Car hire

Jobs

We're lucky that my brother and his family are in Tapping and are kindly putting us up to start with. I'm just not sure where to start and would welcome recommendations to help me with the above areas.

Also are there cubs (scouts) in WA - my eldest daughter loves it and I want to find social activities for her to help her settle in (she's my biggest challenge for this relocation as she can be quite sensitive and recently turned 9).

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Kate

Not sure where to post or even start! The whole visa process has taken us 12months but the final part of it being granted has taken us by surprise. Last Friday we submitted the final info (policy checks, medicals and form 80's) and we were told it would take about 8weeks - we found out yesterday our visas have been granted (so 2 working days) and now :arghh: not sure where to start!

Removal/shipping

flights (extra baggage)

Car hire

Jobs

We're lucky that my brother and his family are in Tapping and are kindly putting us up to start with. I'm just not sure where to start and would welcome recommendations to help me with the above areas.

Also are there cubs (scouts) in WA - my eldest daughter loves it and I want to find social activities for her to help her settle in (she's my biggest challenge for this relocation as she can be quite sensitive and recently turned 9).

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Kate

Well done you guys …. and now the adventure begins !!!!!

any questions , worries - this forum will surely help - But hey well done :o)

hi , when are you expecting to arrive in Perth ? i have a lovely house for rent in Tapping .........
We probably won't be looking for a house until after Christmas - my brother and his family have quite a large house and until my husband and I get jobs we won't be looking. Getting jobs is quite scary - I'm leaving a permanent, quite high up teaching post to hopefully get something equal or better in WA! I've not had an interview for 6 years so I'm a bit worried! Thanks for the suggestion.

There are lots of shipping companies out there such as Grace, Pickfords and many others, I would have a look through the shipping section and do some google searches then arrange for them to come and give quotes.

Car hire, google "no birds perth" Very popular and very reasonable.

Jobs will depend on what you teach - some subjects are in demand and others not. You will need to get your teacher registration and that can be started now

@ktg... congrats on gaining your visa.... now the fun starts!

As far as teaching positions go, if you are looking for posts within the government sector and you are secondary trained there are always shortages of good Maths, Science and Design and Technology teachers. Early Childhood and Primary teachers aren't so much in demand however. All government positions are advertised on the WA government jobs board at http://www.jobs.wa.gov.au. You will also have to be registered with the Teachers Registration Board of WA http://www.trb.wa.gov.au. You can start the registration process now and finalise it when you arrive.

Congratulations @ktg, it's a great feeling

we are moving to tapping end of October, I have 2 children, my son is 7 and daughter 10 so if you ever need some company from someone else new and in the same boat give me a shout. I'm also leaving a good nurse educator job which is a really scary prospect. See you on the other side

A meet up would be great - children of similar ages. What school are you looking at sending your children to?

I've made some contacts with regards to cubs as my eldest loves cubs here in uk!

it will also be nice to meet up with an adult!! & someone who's going through the same.

Are you using a removal/shipping company?

We have applied for tapping primary we just need to provide proof of address and they should be ok to start in early November, what about you? My daughter has just finished at brownies and son goes to beevers so would be great if they could do something similar.

We have had 4 shipping quotes and decided on one today, we are trying not to take too much so only need about half a container.

When are you looking to arrive? I'm hoping to book flights next week

I've looked at schools but not applied yet. We're hoping to arrive towards the end of November (just depends on whether my head teacher will let me go before the end of term).

Cubs and joyes (their beavers) seem slightly more expensive than the ones min attend in UK but I think it'll be a great way to help them make friends.

Good luck with your move - keep me posted how it goes.

Kate

Wow, how exciting...we had our medicals on Wed, they should have been uploaded today. Form 80 and police checks all done last week. If your timeline is the same as ours we could have ours by mid next week! We have had 2 shipping companies come round gb liners and pss who come recommended by a few people on the forum. Think we are going with pss, and for flights we want as direct a flight as possible so we are looking at Singapore airlines.

I hope I'm as excited as you when we get our visas as the moment I just feel sick with nerves and convinced that something will go wrong when we get there and we'll get sent back. Really trying to get a grip but cant stop my tummy from churning :(

Jen x

Wow, how exciting...we had our medicals on Wed, they should have been uploaded today. Form 80 and police checks all done last week. If your timeline is the same as ours we could have ours by mid next week! We have had 2 shipping companies come round gb liners and pss who come recommended by a few people on the forum. Think we are going with pss, and for flights we want as direct a flight as possible so we are looking at Singapore airlines.

I hope I'm as excited as you when we get our visas as the moment I just feel sick with nerves and convinced that something will go wrong when we get there and we'll get sent back. Really trying to get a grip but cant stop my tummy from churning :(

Jen x

Flights are all a bit of a muchness. You will need to do one stop no matter who you go with. Singapore are good though. Has the advantage that the longer stint is first. Singapore are very good if you are going to do a stopover as they offer a very subsidised deal called very imaginatively "The Singapore Stopover". It includes 1-2 nights hotel with tickets to attractions for next to nothing - when we did it in 2008, we paid £25 for a suite in the Ritz including tickets to things and airport transfers.

I would see what deals are about. When we flew back, Qatar were a LOT cheaper than anyone else and i was very happy with the flight. The airport hasn't got a lot, but, the stop was very brief anyway. The plane was a Dreamliner and have to say it was a lot quiter than a 777 or A380.

Flights are all a bit of a muchness. You will need to do one stop no matter who you go with. Singapore are good though. Has the advantage that the longer stint is first. Singapore are very good if you are going to do a stopover as they offer a very subsidised deal called very imaginatively "The Singapore Stopover". It includes 1-2 nights hotel with tickets to attractions for next to nothing - when we did it in 2008, we paid £25 for a suite in the Ritz including tickets to things and airport transfers.

I would see what deals are about. When we flew back, Qatar were a LOT cheaper than anyone else and i was very happy with the flight. The airport hasn't got a lot, but, the stop was very brief anyway. The plane was a Dreamliner and have to say it was a lot quiter than a 777 or A380.

Thanks verystormy, don't think we looked at Qatar, but the flight times at the moment are the most convenient with two children in tow with Singapore but will give them a look. Really not after a stop over, just want to get there, we know we will have to stop briefly but it is only about 1.5 hours with Singapore and have heard they're good.

Fingers crossed for you @Jen it's all very exciting. Where are you looking st staying? There seems to be a few of us all going around a similar time

Hi Louloubelle, we are looking at Fremantle for initial holiday let and then SOR, around Rockingham, Waikiki, Safety bay area. Need to get excited again. When we came home from medicals on Wed the for sale sign was up on the house and it sent me into a bit of a tailspin!! Where are you looking? It would be fab to keep in touch when we go over if its around the same time, we have 2 girls 13 and 10 looking to do guides and a drama club. I'm looking for a line dancing club and hubby a cycling club, it would be great to keep up our hobbies! :rolleyes:

It seems that a few of us are going over this UK autumn/Oz spring. Hopefully all will be fine with visas Jen78 - I felt sick waiting and was dreading the 8wks our agents had said it was taking which is why I was in shock after a few days!

I've got 3 shipping g companies booked in to do quotes over last couple weeks of summer holidays.

I've managed to make contact with a local scout group near Tapping so that's my older 2 girls sorted with some social activity. I'm currently applying for teaching posts and trying to find a job for hubby!

Edited by ktg

I know what you mean - currently my mum has my youngest (18mths) twice a week and she goes to nursery the other 3. My mum picks my older two up from school twice a week too (my meeting nights). Dreading childcare.

I Google western Australia scouts and on their Web page is a section you can make contact with them.

I might look at any slightly more north as my brother has just bought a house/land in Alkimos so we'll probably move up that way after Christmas x

• 5 weeks later...

hi jen78 we are arriving in perth 4th october and will be living in safety bay as weve already secured a rental property there. We havent got any young children , grandchildren yes but at 50 and hubby is 49 we are too old now lol but if you fancy a chat when you get here just give us a holler and congrats welcome to the club x

• 3 months later...

We've been here sine 25th nov. Hubby now has a job (by word of mouth as all the ones he applied for he heard nothing), i have some casual work (again by word of mouth) but can't do much until my eldest 2 start school in feb. We spent alot more than we expected as everything seems to have a price!

The girls seem to be settling now that we have a rental property and our belongings from the uk have arrived.

Good luck x

We've been here sine 25th nov. Hubby now has a job (by word of mouth as all the ones he applied for he heard nothing), i have some casual work (again by word of mouth) but can't do much until my eldest 2 start school in feb. We spent alot more than we expected as everything seems to have a price!

The girls seem to be settling now that we have a rental property and our belongings from the uk have arrived.

Good luck x

Good to hear that you are here and settled and into jobs. Yes the old word of mouth thing and friends who know people, is always the best way to get a job in WA. Well done for getting there! Please post any advice or tips on the forum. The whole job scene in WA has changed a lot in the past few years, so it is good to get current advice.