DevKJ

IT Job market in Perth

Hi folks!

I am living in Auckland, NZ and thinking of moving to Perth (NZ citizen).

Just wondering how job market in Perth is like. From Seek, I noticed that Perth is like 4th city in term of the number of IT jobs (followed by Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane) and this figure is less than the current Auckland IT job market.

Bit worried due to some articles about Perth at the moment - economy has not been really good as mining industry has declined for some time. How is IT market?

Would it be a still good idea to move there first and then search jobs? I have applied two jobs via Seek from Auckland. But it doesn't seem to be a good way as I

ve got way less feedbacks than I usuallly receive in local.

Any tips? Or any feedbacks?

Thanks in advance.

P.S A short description of myself

- A s/w developer for past 7 years - mostly in CRM industry.

- From windows applications, server sides (C# & C++) to the front end programming (Javascript, asp.net)

Edited by DevKJ

i know that the chap who previously rented our house before us had to move to Melbourne due to no work in IT ……. however im kno expert at all !!! So hopefully someone else on here can help ;o)

Thanks pegg & verystormy for your comments.

I wish I could hear more positive news but thanks anyway.

You may as well get a yoghurt carton and some string, that's as far as I.T goes in Perth. A lot of people heading to Canberra, Victoria or UK for I.T.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

It is fine here.

Started over 5 years ago. Setup my own company and became a contractor.

Not had a break since.

If you are good, you shouldn't have any worries.

Rates are not too bad either. Have a look at the 'Robert Waters' app.

(.NET & MSSQL)

Good luck. It's quite common here to contract. Best bet is to smash through Seek.com.au and ignore the agencies.

It's true that the east coast is a bigger market, but there is still plenty here.

Mainly based around the CBD, so try and get as central as you can be.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By gengusthethird
      Hi All,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I am living in Perth, WA and trying to find electrical work to gain the "A grade electrical licence".

I hold a provisional electrical licence and require "gap training" before I am allowed to take the required capstone exam.

I have been in Perth for almost 5 years. I tried to get a job when I first arrived with no luck. As a result of this I started working international in the oil & Gas. I am now trying again and facing the same problems I did 5 years ago. I have pretty much applied to every company, agency and rope access company with only one company offering me a start, unfortunately he didn't want to pay me.

Unfortunately most companies in WA are not aware of the process for a overseas electrician to gain an Australian electrical license and have no interest in employing a overseas qualified electrician. They simply prefer to employ a Australian qualified electrician or an apprentice.
      I have done some Australian courses and licences such as
      EEHA, High risk work, MSIC, White card
      If anyone can help with regards contacts etc it will be greatly appreciated.
    • By jacksonw040
      Hello, Everyone
      Are you planning or interested to visit Perth, here are the best places you should visit that you will really enjoy.
      1. The beaches

Perth has some of the most beautiful beaches in Australia, if not the most beautiful for a city in the world! You can head down to any beach along the west coast, and you will soon forget the busy commute you just left behind. Sunny days, warm temperatures, the blue Indian Ocean and not a speck of litter in sight. Cottesloe, Scarborough and City Beach were all our favourites out of the nineteen beaches Perth and the surrounding areas had to offer. Cottesloe boasts crystal clear and calm waters set on a backdrop of white sand and grassy terraces. It is also home to the annual Sculpture by the Sea, which showcases the talents of artists across the globe. Scarborough Beach was our local beach when we lived Perth, and it is the perfect location to watch the infamous Western Australian sunsets. Scarborough has become more vibrant and lively in the last couple of years; it has a fun atmosphere and an array of mouth-waveringly delicious cafes, restaurants and bars. Though not as busy as its close neighbour over in Scarborough, City Beach has recently opened its doors to a new surf club which comes with a gym and three restaurants/cafes which are sure to have increased visitor numbers. Nevertheless, on some days you won’t have to share this beach with very many people.
      2. Kings Park and Botanic Garden

Kings Park is Western Australia’s biggest tourist attraction and at 400 hectares, is one of the World’s biggest inner city parks. Kings Park is a huge green space within the city with many short walking trails leading through botanical gardens, offering spectacular panoramic views of Perth and the Swan River. It’s a hot spot for people of all ages, family friendly and even a great place for lunch (whether it be a picnic or in the cafe). Fitness enthusiasts frequent the popular Jacobs Ladder challenging themselves to see how many times they can run up and down the 242 steps. It is also home to the very moving State War Memorial and of course the whispering wall that lay around it. Throughout the summer you can catch the latest movie releases and some great classics at the outdoor cinema, it is the perfect setting for movie enthusiasts, nestled in a light blanket on a beanbag with balmy temperatures underneath starry skies.
      3. Fremantle

Fremantle is a lively port city which is a great alternative to Perth city centre to meet up with friends for a social gathering. The town centre is home to a strip of alfresco style bars and restaurants. We recommend starting at the Norfolk Hotel, it has a generous outside seating area and is surrounded by limestone walls, giving the whole place heaps of character alongside its great ales. The suburb is also the host to the famous Fremantle Market open weekly on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Here you will find a huge variety of stalls offering everything from local fresh produce to homemade handbags and hair pieces. Why not make a day of it and check out the Little Creatures Brewery for a hearty pub lunch and some local Perth craft beers then take the historic Fremantle prison tour.
      4. Rottnest Island

Known to the locals as Rotto, Rottnest Island is just 18 KM ferry journey away from the mainland which makes it the ultimate weekend getaway from the city. The only way to get around on the island is by bicycle which you can rent when you get there or take your own aboard the ferry for an additional $15. If cycling isn’t your thing, then don’t worry you can still take a bus around the island to the islands main sites. Whichever you choose just make sure you remember to bring your snorkel as Rottnest boasts crystal clear waters and some great drift snorkelling. All of this, but the main attraction still seems to be the furry little locals. We’re talking about the unique to the island, selfie-loving Quokkas! A natural when faced with a Go Pro or smartphone, these cute marsupials are always keen to take a few snaps with eager tourists.
      5. Swan Valley

The Swan Valley may look like a dry, barren land on the outskirts of the city. There over 40 wineries to choose from, many of which offer complimentary tastings or tastings for a very low cost. Some of the wineries give you a selection of cheese to pair with the many different flavors. We highly recommend Lancaster wines; their fresh chili infused cheese is to die for and just melts in your mouth. Another favourite for samples in the Swan Valley is the Margaret River Co. chocolate factory. You can dish yourself up a handful of milk, white or dark chocolate while look through the huge glass windows at the all the machinery in action making absolutely everything you see for sale in the shop. See if you can eat them quick enough before they melt. We often leave Swan Valley feeling very sick… I wonder why? If wine and chocolate aren’t your things, another highlight of the Swan Valley is Super Golf! Not to be taken seriously in any way, shape or form, this light-hearted take on the popular classic is perfect for friends, family and couples alike to enjoy the sun in beautiful surroundings and get competitive. There is a choice of either 9/18 holes (we recommend 9) and is basically a supersized version of the sport we know; giant plastic golf balls and huge plastic clubs, it’s sure to bring a few laughs throughout the day.
      6. John Forrest National Park

The John Forrest National Park is a little bit further afield than the other places we mentioned in this guide, located East of the city, but it is the best place to get a taste of the wilderness the Australian outback has to offer. It was actually the first national park of Western Australia and is home to 10 species of mammal and 91 species of birds. Despite its location, this national park is surprisingly green with a collection of waterfalls passing through. It is a great place to spot some of the native species in their natural habitat along with the unique fauna and flora. The Eagle View Walk Trail gives you a great view of the distant city, emphasising Perth’s isolation from the rest of Australia.
      7. Lake Monger

Nestled between the suburbs of Glendalough, Wembley, and Leederville, just outside Perth city center is Lake Monger Reserve. This 70-hectare lake surrounded by the park is a popular dog walking and running spot, it is home to the beautiful black swan and is rich in Aboriginal history. The walk around Lake Monger is an easy and paved 3.8km route and should take less than 1 hour. During the walk, you get the opportunity for a great view of Perth’s CBD and the iconic BHP Billiton Towers. The path also has a cycle lane for those wishing to do the route by bike. Other flora and fauna here include fish, skinks, south-western-snake-necked turtles and 38 species of bird.
      For more information go to this website:
      https://www.visitperthcity.com/see-do

• By N.holland86
      Hi my names Nick I am a solid plasterer and Cork Coatings applicator in the uk with a nvq level 2 and 3 and over 12 years experience I am considering getting my AQF 3 I have already started my 189 visa application and I am ready for skills assessment. What is work like for a solid plasterer over in Perth? What can I expect to earn. I am also considering getting my Plasterer’s assessors qualification. I don’t mind starting at the bottom and working my way up the ladder. 
      Any advice people and offer me will be greatly appreciated. 
    • By Ktee
      The finalists for WA's peak hospitality awards have been unveiled and one thing is for certain... it's going to be a long night for the lucky nominees.
      There were a record number of finalists for the 2017 AHA Hospitality Awards for Excellence across 42 categories.
      Mayfair Lane has made an impressive debut in West Perth this year. 
      Australian Hotels Association chief executive Bradley Woods said this year's awards reflected the fast-changing pace of WA's hospitality sector.
      "There is tough competition in all award categories and all finalists are deserving of recognition," Mr Woods said.
      Super-versatile bistro pub Mayfair Lane in West Perth should be prominent on the night after re-opening this year and not missing a beat, while renovated suburban pub The Wembley overcame a pint furore to also feature as a finalist in several competitive categories.
        Petition's trio of slick venues at the State Buildings were also nominated across several categories.
      2017 FINALISTS - A SNAPSHOT: Bar Presentation and Service Award
      Blanche Bar, Karratha
      Paddington Alehouse, Mount Hawthorn
      Petition Beer Corner at State Buildings, Perth
      Raffles Hotel, Applecross
      Rose Hotel, Bunbury
      The Breakwater, Hillarys
      The Boat at The Marina, Mindarie
      The Mechanics Institute, Northbridge
      The Queens Tavern, Highgate
      The Village Bar, Subiaco
      Whistling Kite, Secret Harbour
      Petition's stable of venues at the state buildings have fared well.

Retail Bottleshop Award
      Fiorita Deli, Karratha
      Petition Wine Bar at State Buildings, Perth
      Rose Hotel, Bunbury
      The Botanica Bar & Bistro, Innaloo
      The Gate Bar & Bistro, Success
      Draught Beer Quality Award
      Peel Alehouse, Halls Head
      Petition Beer Corner at State Buildings, Perth
      Rose Hotel, Bunbury
      The Marina Mindarie
      Small Bar Award
      Caballitos, Perth
      Kitsch Bar Asia, Leederville
      Measure Bar, Mount Lawley
      Oyster Bar Mandurah
      Tiki as FK, Northbridge
      Cocktail Bar Award
      Halford at State Buildings, Perth
      The Dominion League, Northbridge
      The Laneway Lounge, Perth
      The Waiting Room at Crown Perth, Burswood
      Tiki as FK, Northbridge
      Late Night Venue Award
      Exchange Hotel Kalgoorlie, Kalgoorlie
      Niche Bar, Leederville
      Universal Bar, Northbridge
      Tourism Initiative Award
      Blanche Bar, Karratha
      Core Cider House, Pickering Brook
      Odyssea Beach Café, City Beach
      Settlers Tavern, Margaret River
      The Marina Mindarie
      Redeveloped Venue Award
      Brass Monkey Hotel & Patriots Sports Bar, Northbridge
      Drop Inn, Warnbro
      Mayfair Lane Pub & Dining Room, West Perth
      Niche Bar, Leederville
      Rose Hotel, Bunbury
      The Prince of Wales Hotel, Bunbury
      The Wembley Hotel, Wembley
      Varsity Bar Waterford, Karawara
      The Wembley had a $1.5 million makeover in the middle of 'pintgate'.

New Venue Award
      Caballitos, Perth
      Epicurean at Crown Perth, Burswood
      Fiorita Deli, Karratha
      Lot 80, Eagle Bay
      Measure Bar, Mount Lawley
      Rambla Bar & Bistro, Wickham
      Six Degrees Albany, Albany
      The Henley Brook, Swan Valley
      The Hummus Club, Northbridge
      The Wild Goose Café at Noble Falls Estate, Gidgegannup
      Outdoor Area Award
      Blanche Bar, Karratha
      Boston Brewing Co. & Willoughby Park, Denmark
      Caves House Hotel, Yallingup
      C.Y. O'Connor Village Pub, Piara Waters
      Endeavour Tavern, Lancelin
      Lot 80, Eagle Bay
      Odyssea Beach Café, City Beach
      The Marina Mindarie
      Whim Creek Hotel
      Boutique Brewery Award
      Colonial Brewing Company, Margaret River
      Core Cider House, Pickering Brook
      Indian Ocean Brewing Company at The Marina Mindarie
      White Lakes Brewing, Baldivis
      Conference and Functions Award
      Aloft Perth, Rivervale
      Guildhall, Fremantle
      Rose Hotel, Bunbury
      The Breakwater, Hillarys
      The Flour Factory, Perth
      The Pavilion at The Marina Mindarie
      The Wembley Hotel
      WA's Best Steak Sandwich Award
      Karalee on Preston, Como
      The Bayview Bar, Bunbury
      Contemporary Bar Menu Award
      Blanche Bar, Karratha
      Five Bar, Mount Lawley
      The Breakwater, Hillarys
      The Chase Bar & Bistro, Baldivis
      The Flour Factory, Perth
      The Royal on the Waterfront, East Perth
      Varnish on King, Perth
      White Lakes Brewing, Baldivis
      Casual Pub Dining Award – Metropolitan
      Currambine Bar & Bistro
      Drop Inn, Warnbro
      Greenwood Hotel
      Karalee on Preston, Como
      Raffles Hotel, Applecross
      The Belmont Tavern, Belmont
      The Brook Bar & Bistro, Ellenbrook
      The Como Hotel
      The Marina Mindarie
      The Queens Tavern, Highgate
      The Royal on the Waterfront, East Perth
      The Village Bar, Subiaco
      The Wembley Hotel
      Casual Pub Dining Award – Regional
      Beverley Hotel
      Caves House Hotel, Yallingup
      Crossing Inn, Fitzroy Crossing
      Dunsborough Tavern
      Fitzroy River Lodge, Fitzroy Crossing
      Onyx on Sharpe, Karratha
      Paddy's at Exchange Hotel Kalgoorlie, Kalgoorlie
      Rose Hotel, Bunbury
      The Bayview Bar, Bunbury
      Whim Creek Hotel
      Wintersun Hotel, Geraldton

Settlers Tavern has again been nominated for several awards.

Family Dining Award
      Currambine Bar and Bistro
      C.Y. O'Connor Village Pub, Piara Waters
      Dunsborough Tavern
      Lo Zucchero, City Beach
      The Ashby Bar & Bistro
      The Herdsman Tavern, Herdsman Lakes
      The Marina Mindarie
      Tony Roma's Restaurant, Perth
      Restaurant Award
      Fiorita Deli, Karratha
      George's Meze, Subiaco
      Hamptons City Beach, City Beach
      Ishka at The Breakwater, Hillarys
      Lot 80, Eagle Bay
      Odyssea Beach Cafe, City Beach
      Petition Kitchen at State Buildings, Perth
      Ria Malay Kitchen, Leederville
      Rose Hotel, Bunbury
      Tony Roma's Restaurant, Perth
      Zanders at Cable Beach, Broome
      Premium Restaurant Award
      C Restaurant, Perth
      Long Chim at State Buildings, Perth
      Nobu Perth at Crown Perth, Burswood
      Wine List Award
      Hamptons City Beach, City Beach
      Il Lido Italian Canteen, Cottesloe
      Petition Kitchen at State Buildings, Perth
      The Breakwater, Hillarys
      The Village Bar, Subiaco
      Sporting Entertainment Venue Award
      Greenwood Hotel, Greenwood
      Hyde Park Hotel, North Perth
      Lakers Tavern, Thornlie
      Patriots Sports Bar, Brass Monkey Hotel, Northbridge
      Peel Alehouse, Halls Head
      The Saint George Hotel, Innaloo
      Live Entertainment Venue Award
      Dunsborough Tavern, Dunsborough
      Leisure Inn, Rockingham
      Rosemount Hotel, North Perth
      Six Degrees Albany
      The Newport Hotel, Fremantle
      The Saint George Hotel, Innaloo
      Themed Venue Award
      Belgian Beer Cafe Westende, Perth
      Durty Nelly's, Perth
      Ka'ribbean Corner, Victoria Park
      Oceans 6019, Scarborough
      The Hummus Club, Northbridge
      Bar Team Award
      Blanche Bar, Karratha
      Indian Ocean Brewing Company at The Marina Mindarie
      Lot 20, Northbridge
      Petition Wine Bar & Merchant at State Buildings, Perth
      Rose Hotel, Bunbury
      The Mechanic's Institute, Northbridge
      The Village Bar, Subiaco
      WA's best regional hospitality venue and Perth's best hospitality venue will also be announced at the ceremony, to be held at Crown Perth on November 13. 
      For the full list of finalists and award categories, click here.