kazb67

Rough guide of electrician trade assistant wages?

Hi

i posted on Pomsinoz but no one was able to advise. I'm hoping someone an here can maybe shed some light for us..........

I'm looking for a wee bit of guidance on an electrician trade assistants avg wage.

We're coming over to Perth next month to activate visa/visit family. Whilst there we'll check out a few areas that we may want to rent in when we make the move over. One of the key factors in deciding where we want to initially rent is going to be my OHs earnings.

Hes is a fully qualified electrician here in UK but we know he'll have to do a stint as a trade assistant before getting his licence.

We've been looking on job sites (not many of them actually tell you what the wages are) & reading reports, but I'm hoping there's someone on here who can give us a more realistic opinion on what a TA will earn. We don't want to move over, find a place to rent then discover that we can't afford it on a TA wage. We will be coming with savings but don't want to blow it all on rent within the 1st year.

thanks

Reality is kicking in & the thought that we may struggle, or actually not be able to make the move, is heartbreaking

Hi,

A little different but thought I would share with you. So my hubby is a qualified Welder, we arrived in Feb 2016 and he struggled to get work at first, he ended up having to take steps backwards and worked as a trades assistant on $23ph. Thankfully he has worked his way up and is no longer on that.

Like I said before it may be different for an electrician trades assistant so please don't take our experience as a certain it's only what he had to do as our funds were running low and something was better than nothing.

Good Luck with everything

Thanks Chelsea2425. It's pretty disheartening for them when they're fully qualified, used to earning good money but then having to take what feels like a step backwards eh. It's all worth it in the end though.

Its mandatory for electricians to retrain in the Australian regs. Some time at college then working for a set period of time as a trade assistant. I think the $23 looks about right from what little i can see.

We'll be coming with saving & money from the sale of our house but, like most people & prob unrealistic of us, we want to use as little of the house sale money as poss & only use our savings during the time when the wages are lower. I'm just trying to work out a rough budget for rentals which will determine what areas we want to stay in, no doubt that'll go up in the air once we arrive haha.

Glad your hubby managed to work up. It's not taken too long although I'm sure for you it'll have felt like an eternity. Scary when funds start running low.

Somewhere between $25 to $30 dollars is about right.

Its finding a company to take you on and sign off your hours that's the issue. It's fairly quiet building wise at the moment. We've been here 7 months and I've nearly completed my retraining and have final exam in October. I had a few contacts from the UK out here who luckily got me a start. Sent out loads of emails before we arrived and got pretty much no replies.

Thanks Mark, someone posted on the other forum a wee while ago that that was the typical hourly rate. Like you say though there's not many of those jobs around just now. We've a while til we move so hopefully it'll pick up by then.

We had estimated approx 8 months, hoped it'd be less, for him to do theory then the work placement but that's all depending on him finding an employer of course.

ive a couple questions if you don't mind, just with you being in that position right now..........

On another forum they said working at height, constricted spaces & EWP were favourable with employers (He has height, constricted spaces & APAF) but that the UK versions were irrelevant & he'd need to do Aussie tickets. I know youve only been there 7 months but have you done any of the other Aussie tickets or have you concentrated on getting the main licence 1st?

This is a very personal 1 so feel free to tell me to beat it hahaha but its the main reason for me trying to find out the avg TA wage.

How are you coping financially ie rent, transport & gen day to day living? I don't know what your OH does & I'm not being nosey, I just mean in general terms how do you find it. My OH is the breadwinner & obv there will be a shift in lifestyle based on the TA wage, I'm just not sure how much of a lifestyle shift :wacko:

He will definitely need new tickets but they are really easy to get. I'd never had a ticket in the Uk for an EWP but had used them quite a bit. I did the theory in the morning and actually passed the practical on my practice go. It was very basic. Same with the working at heights and confined spaces.

As for work, I'm a chippy not a sparks but I know it's very quiet out there. I'd guess a TA would be around $30 and a sparky around $38.

No not done any other tickets yet have not needed to but think EWP and working at heights seem most important. There is a ticket for everything out here but from my experience so far a lot seem geared towards the mining sites up north. I had most UK tickets but they mean nothing over here. Get white card first and apply for provisional electrical licence on arrival as it takes about 3 weeks to be issued and you can't work without it.

My wife is working full time as well so we're doing fine money wise hoping to buy a property soon. We are renting in one of the cheaper suburbs about 40 mins from CBD. We'd probably have to watch the pennies a bit more if we was further south paying bigger rent which is why we moved up here. Kids are settled in school and daycare and centrelink help towards childcare costs after school which we never got in UK.

My husbands a spark. We moved here 3 months ago and without his a licence he is struggling to secure work. Even though it was his trade that got us into Australia I'm the one who actually secured office based work whilst hubby is being a stay at home dad with the kids. He has applied for all sorts of jobs not even electrical based and gets no responses. Be prepared for him to be out of work for 6 months plus, it's more of a question of can you afford to live if your OH is earning nothing! He would hope to earn $25 p/h as a TA which is good enough for us to live off with the help from centrelink as well. Don't be put off though, we knew it would be tough here and still took the plunge, you only live once.

Hahahaha Markthespark I just literally looked at your location, we've been looking at butler as it appears to be affordable for decent sized houses & not too far away from CBD. It gets mixed reviews but I guess everywhere does. We have friends who live close by who say it's fine but then others say it's a No No. I have family in Hocking & they suggested some of the surrounding areas but it's just not worth the risk to take on a bigger rental if OH can't secure work for some time. We currently live approx 30 mins from a city so being further out really doesn't bother us.

I defo think your right, we have to prioritise what's more attractive for an employer then he'll just start building them up again when we're settled. Just such a pain that yous have to keep going through the same things to get job in UK, secure visa, then get jobs in Aus. Once he has white, provisional then height, constricted spaces & EWP he's thinking PLC. It all sounds so simple :wacko:

Hi Greenfamily, glad your looking on the bright side. Can't be easy for him not finding work but like you we're preparing for OH to be out of work for a number of months. We're not in a position to move right now so fingers crossed things pick-up by the time we are. We're just working out our sums to get a handle on what we may need to see us by for a few months. It's a pure guestimation right now but we're thinking approx £20k savings (this would hopefully cover shipping, set-up & living costs for few months) plus we'll have money from the sale of our house. We're hoping for £70-£80k once outstanding mortgage is paid off, but Brexit has ALOT to answer for! We'd love to keep as much as poss of that lump sum for a deposit when we decide to buy in Aus.

Centrelink looks great!!!!!! We don't have anything like that in Scotland.......unless you decide not to work & sit on your bum with your hand out.

Sparks & plumbers appear to have a tough time due to different regs but like you say we only live once. We've wanted to move for some time but kept putting it off, we only applied for our visa last year once I discovered I was pregnant (because clearly 1 thing at a time isn't stressful enough lol) It won't be perfect & at times it'll be tough, our eyes are wide open, but we both want this & will do our very best to succeed.

I've been here for nearly 3 months and can't get a sniff of work. I was told by one employer - looking at your cv you won't stay here very long.

I've done my Part A for the gap training and need an employer to work for to complete the eprofiling. Which company do you work for Mark? I've applied for around 250 jobs in all different fields and rung over 200 electrical companies.

I'm living in Perth and any help would be much appreciated. Thankyou

I went into my roof space yesterday and was shocked at the quality of wiring in Au. I've see tidier scrap bins, cables are just laid anywhere and not a clip in sight. How UK sparks have to retrain to Au standards is beyond me.

I've been here for nearly 3 months and can't get a sniff of work. I was told by one employer - looking at your cv you won't stay here very long.

I've done my Part A for the gap training and need an employer to work for to complete the eprofiling. Which company do you work for Mark? I've applied for around 250 jobs in all different fields and rung over 200 electrical companies.

I'm living in Perth and any help would be much appreciated. Thankyou

What did the employer mean by - looking at your cv you won't stay here long?