• Announcements

• Admin

Passwords   05/05/17

Following the move to a new software platform, it may be that your old password no longer works. If that's the case, just send an email to admin@perthpoms.com and we'll reset it for you. Admin
kazb67

Buying a car

7 posts in this topic

Buying a car in Australia cannot possibly be as complicated a task as I'm turning it into. I'm a very sensible & capable adult but I'm bamboozling myself. I've read sooooo many forums/guides & I think they're each calling the same thing something slightly different.

can I just clarify what I think I need......

(I know dealers sort out the additional bits but I want to have in my head what's required)

- Roadworthy cert

- Stamp duty (is this the same as tax that some guides refer to?)

- Registration transfer fee

- Insurance over & above the mandatory 3rd party

driving licence uk-aus

- licence transfer fee (approx $41)

- licence fee for 5 yrs (approx $132)

Have I missed anything?

No roadworthy cert required in Perth! Mandatory 3rd party in included in rego! In Perth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks abc

im thinking $50 per month base on a $6k car. Plus additional optional insurance

No roadworthy cert required in Perth! Mandatory 3rd party in included in rego! In Perth

3rd party insurance only covers personal injury, not damage to any vehicle. Extra insurance is a must IMO.

3rd party insurance only covers personal injury, not damage to any vehicle. Extra insurance is a must IMO.

Depends on how much/how old the car is IMO!

Depends on how much/how old the car is IMO!

Indeed. I would always get minimum third party fire and theft but I don't have any spare cash hanging around even to buy a banger so for me it would be worth it. The OP talks about a $6k car, my daughter's car cost that much and it's fully comp all the way. That's a lot of car to replace with no insurance.

We'll defo get additional insurance just not sure of the cover yet.

We have 2 cars & a motorbike in the UK (Merc GLA, Nissan Nevada & KTM bike) all of which are fully comp. Personally I think it'd be daft of us to have expensive vehicles & not have appropriate cover. We'll import the bike but I'm planning on getting a small car that's as cheap as poss to run until we can build up wages. My OHs a spark so he has quite an outlay to get qualified to Aus regs.

i really wasn't sure we'd afford a car but basing it on 6k if rego will be approx $50, insurance approx $60 & fuel maybe $160 ish monthly we should be fine.

i was going round in circles trying to work out what we'd need to pay for but I think I have it sussed now?!?!?! It will be more expensive but I think we might go to a dealer so as all paper works in order. With all the other things we have to sort out when we arrive, buying a car then getting hit with things/fees I've missed would prob tip me over the edge lol