JaseandAnne

Aussie Gov money making racket!!

Now, I might be talking out of turn here and others may have a different experience to share but am I the only one who thinks that the government still offering visas for some trades is just criminal and clearly only to make money out of those looking to better life!?

Take my trade, motor mechanic, ive managed to get a job and actually since ive been here Ive applied for three and got all three but all of the bosses are very quick to tell me they have had over 100 applications, I also have 28 years experience, worked for main dealers as well as working for myself and im good at talking:wink: and probably prepared to take a bit less money to get my foot in door. As someone who ran my own business in the UK I can see that the economic climate is tough here and as there is no compliance test in WA (MOT) there is no requirement for people to have the work done, and lots of people don't!

In the 6 months I have been here Ive watched the motor trade section on SEEK drop from 6 pages of ads to 2 and now consist predominately of large chains with a high turn over of staff.

So, with the mines mothballing or closing and lots of mechanics available why is the Motor Mechanic still on the skills list? to make money?

Your thoughts

There may be a skills shortage in other parts of Aus (unless it's just the state sponsored lists), the lists do get reviewed and hairdressing for example has been taken off previously. I imagine in time, health won't be an assured skill on the list as more graduates move into the workforce. Additionally, my time on the forum has shown that people get a visa for a particular skill then choose not to work in that area and you don't have to work in the job you got your visa for (unless employee sponsored).

I think with the downturn in jobs, they are more difficult to come by, the lists are only renewed annually as far as i'm aware

I at least partly agree.

For example, my own occupation is still on the csol despite it having an unemployment rate of over 40% and our professional body in Australia asking for its removal for the last 3 years. I know of many similar occupations. Accounting has been flagged for removal for a number of years and there is a gross over supply, yet it is still there.

Is that why taxi drivers seem to be accountants? I would think you could take dozens of occupations off the skills list and this wouldn't create a shortage in the workforce.

From our perspective, the whole system is a money making racket. It starts with IELTS. You can get screwed over and over in the writing & speaking tests, which are bloody subjective and you are at the mercy of the assessors. I'm talking about the Academic IELTS which accountants & other unfortunate trades have to take, as mandated by their professional assessment bodies. What's the bloody difference between a '7.0' & a '6.5'? Since when has linguistic ability had such an impact on balancing the books? Just a line in the sand which the CPA bodies won't talk to you about skills assessment until you cross it.

Assuming you get past IELTS, you now have to deal with one of the three accounting bodies, or VETASSESS if you are in Internal Audit. Can't understand why VETASSESS is overseeing I.A. Our opinion is they know nuts about it which is how we (the Mrs & I are both accountants) didn't get the assessments we needed. And kudos to our migration agent for recommending this route which was a total waste of our money & time.

We felt we were scammed by IELTS, skills assessment & migration agents, and never made it to EOI. Both of us are now over the age & can't recover from the 15 point deficit.

I am now buying the lottery & PowerBall & hoping for the best, Lol