To move or not to move.... ?

Shauny

Hello folks. Just signed up today. :-) Trying to decide whether or not to make the move to Perth...

I'm a London pom, living in Sydney at the moment (for the last 2.5 years) with an Aussie wife who is from Perth.

She would like to move back. I know Perth quite well and really like it as a place. Aware it is much more chilled than the East coast but I'm cool with that. The thing which is worrying me is the work situation. I am a sales director for a software company, so I spend most of my time in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, selling solutions to banks. Perth doesn't have much of a banking industry so if we move I will have to learn a new domain and (I guess) become a sales person / sales director in a different industry. Possibly mining technology, or construction equipment sales? Who knows.

I'm very career focused and my job at the moment pays well. That said, Sydney houses are insanely expensive. We like it here, but this is not our forever home.

So turning up, not knowing many people, and with a career background in a domain which isn't all that relevant in Perth but some (hopefully) good experience, do I stand a chance in the current job market?

Also, are city / professional roles in Perth paid well on the whole?

Any thoughts you have are much appreciated!

There are a few issues. First, the WA economy is having some significant problems and this is due to the downturn in mining. So, selling things into mining at the moment is a none starter as companies are not spending. Second, selling IT solutions would be pointless as most miners have their IT departments over east. It was one of the issues that peeved me and many others in the industry. Third, breaking into selling things like capital equipment would be hard in any event - just as hard as trying to sell IT equipment with no IT knowledge.

However, people do live in WA and work in the east and visa versa. I have worked with a number of people doing this and it is perfectly possible.

Hi Shauny my advice would be get a job before you come. Perth unemployment rate is the highest in Australia and not looking like getting better any time soon. I know lots of people who have left Perth as they lost their job and could not find work. As VS said mining is in the doldrums and construction is just as bad - good luck with whatever you do

Hi Shauny my advice would be get a job before you come. Perth unemployment rate is the highest in Australia and not looking like getting better any time soon. I know lots of people who have left Perth as they lost their job and could not find work. As VS said mining is in the doldrums and construction is just as bad - good luck with whatever you do

.... following on from comments above.... it is very hard to get work in Perth at the moment.... there is much more unemployment around that the official figures will let you believe..... and so if you are thinking about coming over to Perth, you might want to seriously gain employment at any level before you even set foot in the state.