Moving dog from UK to Perth

juliamj1

Great thank you guys....feeling quite nervous about our poor dog being in a crate for that long!!

We were very concerned as ours ( Going Perth to London) He is a real lap dog and spends most of his days cuddling his mum and also has an issue that means he couldn't eat for the entire trip. But, he arrived fine, though hungry. Though he was a bit jet lagged for a week or two. I think they probably sleep most of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

If that is the same company as Pet Air UK with an office in Oakley Green...

Then yes we used them for our dog Buddy, a 7 year old flat coated retriever... they we very friendly, efficient and reassuring.

Would highly recommend them.

Our dog had a skin allergy, so I too was nervous all the way through the process.

Get them involved early on possible.... get the rabies stuff sorted as there is a minimum of 7 month lead in before your dog can fly. A mistake I made and it delayed our departure by 9 months.

I was worried about the dog flying but the crate they go in was larger than I expected, hence the cost.

He is a happy dog now... walks on the beach etc

Note that all pets fly to Melbourne first. This is where the quarantine station is.

Any question just ask

It varies a lot on different aspects such as the breed, size, which airline, even what time of year. However, all the pet shippers such as Pet Air will do a free quote over the phone and email it to you.

It is important you start the process early as there can be issues - for example, some airlines wont carry certain breeds or wont carry at certain times of year. Also, it takes time to go through the process.

Be aware though it isn't cheap!

Great thank you guys....feeling quite nervous about our poor dog being in a crate for that long!!

We transported a cat, but when we picked her up from quarantine, they had put her in her crate to bring her to us - we were actually quite impressed with the size of it, lots of room, containers for food and drink that were easily accessible, it still had the cushion we'd sent with her (so she had smells from home) and my hubby commented that she'd had more leg room than we'd had.

Don't know if it's the same for dogs, but it looked like our cat had had as comfortable a journey as possible.

I don't understand why they still have to go through quarantine. They don't if coming the other way - our little one was back with us a couple of hours after landing

I'm guessing that as one of the testings is for rabies and potential biosecurity risk.

Byford closed down a few years ago after it was evacuated due to a huge bush fire close by, after the bush fire the facility was assessed for various reasons and found not to comply with all the BS that Aus is famous for, it was decided it needed upgrading, the cost of the upgrade was huge and no funding was available, so it got closed down, our pup was one of the last Byford inmates.

Importing animals from the UK used to be straight forward as the UK was deemed as rabies free, but thanks to some EU regulation, the UK lost its "Rabies Free" status, hence the now lengthy import process

Has anyone used Petair to move their dog from UK to Perth? or can anyone recommend a company they have used?

We used PetAir exactly a year ago to move our Boxer girl from the UK to Perth (via Melbourne). Get them involved as early as possible because even when they've had their rabies vac, they may need to have it repeated if levels aren't high enough and only once they've had confirmation that their titre levels are high enough does the wait begin before they can fly. Our girl had to have her vac redone which delayed us by a couple of months. Any questions just shout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

It is pricey to say the least. we have a Lab size Labradoodle...£3660 plus $1800 for 10 days in quarantine & now I'm being quoted another £780 to get him from Melbourne to Perth...good job we love him!! its more than our 20ft container!!!!

The process takes at least 6 months. Your dog will have to have a rabies vaccination then 4 weeks later a blood test, if they pass that blood test its another 180 days before they can enter Australia!!

Hi,

If that is the same company as Pet Air UK with an office in Oakley Green...

Then yes we used them for our dog Buddy, a 7 year old flat coated retriever... they we very friendly, efficient and reassuring.

Would highly recommend them.

Our dog had a skin allergy, so I too was nervous all the way through the process.

Get them involved early on possible.... get the rabies stuff sorted as there is a minimum of 7 month lead in before your dog can fly. A mistake I made and it delayed our departure by 9 months.

I was worried about the dog flying but the crate they go in was larger than I expected, hence the cost.

He is a happy dog now... walks on the beach etc

Note that all pets fly to Melbourne first. This is where the quarantine station is.

Any question just ask

Hi, how did you get Buddy from Melbourne? did you use PetAir for that too?

how long does the process take and how much did it cost if you dont mind me asking?

It is pricey to say the least. we have a Lab size Labradoodle...£3660 plus $1800 for 10 days in quarantine & now I'm being quoted another £780 to get him from Melbourne to Perth...good job we love him!! its more than our 20ft container!!!!

The process takes at least 6 months. Your dog will have to have a rabies vaccination then 4 weeks later a blood test, if they pass that blood test its another 180 days before they can enter Australia!!

We used Petair for our cat last November - they were very efficient and our boy arrived safely, if a little subdued for a few days! As others have said, it is quite costly and beware of the implications of the exchange rate, as some of the fees are required to be paid in dollars and not pounds - So when the pound takes a downward turn as it has been inclined to of late, the bill in effect rises! We nicknamed our pet "Two grand" - and in fact that proved to be a conservative figure by the end of the whole process!

Don't be paying the £780 you have a couple of options.

1) Take a cheap flight over to Melbourne then fly back with him, he will be classed as accompanied. If he weighs under 30kg it will cost you $135 for him and your flight on top.

2) You could use a company like dogmovers.

3) If you fancy a break away you could drive over.