Snmitchell

Drylining job confusion

Hi,

we are at the start of looking into emigrating to Perth and into the skilled visa option. My husband is a dryliner here in the U.K. and after researching figured out they call dryliners over there fibrous plasterers, however looking further into the definition of this there seems to be some wet plastering involved which my husband doesn't really do, he is a fixer so does metal partition walls, bulk heads and ceilings - anything to do with plasterboard.

I don't want to go further into paying for the visa process if not sure if he is considered a fibrous plasterer or not and whether there will be jobs suitable for him in Australia.

one agent has mentioned getting and AQF 3 certificate? But again don't want to pay out money for this if not needed.

its all so confusing as it seems to be two separate jobs here rolled into one in oz. are there any dryliners out there who have been through this process and have any advice or help?

thank you!

The key is to look at the skills assessment requirements and see if he can pass it. It is common for occupations to be slightly different, but the skills assessing body should be able to provide a full breakdown of what they will and won't accept.

As for jobs, plasterboard is used, but nothing like as common as the UK as interior walls are usually solid break. Though job opportunities in construction in WA are poor at the moment due to the down turn in the economy, though obviously that won't be the case for ever.

hi my mate is a dryliner here in Perth and dosen't do any wet plaster or even the filling and sanding its done by someone else all he does is set out the steel work put it up and board, its all commercial though no new housing

hi my mate is a dryliner here in Perth and dosen't do any wet plaster or even the filling and sanding its done by someone else all he does is set out the steel work put it up and board, its all commercial though no new housing

Ah thank you that is good to know. Do you know if it is worth gaining an AQF 3 here before getting to oz?