Jump to content

485 Graduate Visa - Only option??

Recommended Posts



So I am in the second year of my studies and just looking to clear up what my options are once I've finished. As usual, hear allsorts of things from people about how to just get PR but whenever I look it never seems like its an option until I have completed a skills assessment through going on to a 485 graduate visa?


My current situation is:


- 2yrs on a whv then straight to student visa for 2yrs (never left Australia)

- Trade is on SOL but from what I can see is no longer on the WA state nominated/employer sponsored list? (Studying to be a tiler)

- I have family here, a brother who has just got PR by defacto. Don't think that really helps though as Im not a remaining relative.


From what I can tell my only option is to go on to the 485 while TRA assess me through out so I can apply for skilled independent PR or state nominated just not in WA once TRA have given me a thumbs up (and after given them their cash).


Any help at all is appreciated

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum.


Unfortunatly, you are not eligible for a 485 visa. To be eligible, you must have either been studying at university level (degree or above) or have studied an occupation that is on the Sol list - tiler isn't. It is only on the CSOL.


If it is any consolation, even if tiler were on the sol, you would net be eligible for PR after the 485 as to pass a skills assessment you need the qualification and post qualification experience of over two years.


Your brother can not assist as family sponsorship requires the occupation be on the sol.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the welcoming and the reply.


I just double checked the SOL there in the link you provided and it is definitely still on the list (although I think it has definitely been removed from the WA state nominated list).


I should say it states it as Wall & Floor Tiler which is what I am studying.


My understanding is once I have received my qualification (Cert III) and apply with TRA for the skills assessment, I apply for the 485 visa and it gives me 18months to work in my industry. During that time TRA outlines that in order to pass their assessment I must complete in the region of 1800 hours in my trade with onsite assessments carried out by them during that time. When finished and I pass, I am able to apply for PR?


If this is all wrong then I am definitely up the creek without a paddle!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, wall and floor tiler is on the sol so eligible for a 485.


You don't need a skills assessment for the 485, but when you apply for a PR visa.


If TRA are happy with 1800 hours, then you are fine. The only advice would be to check your points - you need 60 to apply.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi we have just started looking into this 485 visa for my son in law after he finishes his 2 yr course here in Perth, his course is still on the sol list so hoping this is an option for him, he was told about this from a bricklayer who he's been working with so like you any info would be great thanks

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now