Residents return visa

Mark the spark

Hi all

we need to apply for a residents return visa, what's the quickest and easiet way to do this?

we have been in Perth now 15 months, is it worth applying for the 5 year one or would the 1 year get processed easier? As I've read you need to have been here 2 years to get the 5 years. Anyone applied for 5 years without being here 2 years?

Thanks in advance

Here's the link to apply. https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Appl/Resident-return

When does your visa expire? Are you leaving just for a holiday? If you have not lived here for 2 years (which would automatically be 5 years), then it's usually 1 year. If you're only going on holiday for a short time and prove your substantial ties e.g. your job, house, etc., I don't know if they have discretionary powers to grant you the 5 years.

ETA - you don't apply for either/or - they decide which to give you

Travel facility

If you have lived in Australia for at least two years of the past five years and are granted a subclass 155 Resident Return visa it will have a five year travel facility from date of grant.

If you are granted a subclass 155 Resident Return visa on the basis of your substantial ties of benefit to Australia, then your travel facility will be for a year from the date of the grant.

Thanks Ali

Our visas expired in March

We do own a house here and are both working we just want to go on holiday for a week in July. Will probably just apply and for the 1 year then apply again next year for 5 years

You just apply and they grant you either 1 or 5 years.

• 2 years later...
On 14/04/2017 at 18:45, Budgie said:

When I applied they just gave me the 1 year but I have been

out of the country for 13 years!! I applied on 18th Feb and it was granted on 1st march so very fast!

hi can you explain the process .my travel facility expired 5 years ago i do have substantial ties and compelling reasons for absence.Also do you have any experience of travelling on a visitor visa while waiting for your residency visa to be processed .thanks

On 05/10/2019 at 00:21, lesley said:

hi can you explain the process .my travel facility expired 5 years ago i do have substantial ties and compelling reasons for absence.Also do you have any experience of travelling on a visitor visa while waiting for your residency visa to be processed .thanks

If you don't meet the residency criteria then the application process may be a little longer.  You will need to document your substantial ties and the dept will decide if to issue you with a 5 year or 1 year RRV.   I think if you travel on a visitor visa, you run the risk of cancelling your PR visa

23 hours ago, ali said:

If you don't meet the residency criteria then the application process may be a little longer.  You will need to document your substantial ties and the dept will decide if to issue you with a 5 year or 1 year RRV.   I think if you travel on a visitor visa, you run the risk of cancelling your PR visa

Ali is correct.   If you apply for a visitor visa and you hold PR for Australia, you will cancel your PR visa.   Your only option is to apply for a RRV.  But it might be in your best interest to consult a Registered Migration Agent to discuss this.  "New Life Down Under" who posts on this forum is a Registered Migration Agent that we recommend as she lives in Perth and is very efficient and knowledgeable.