Police record searches

STEVE P

Can anyone advise the requirements for Police record searches. My son is a UK resident and applying for PR. He has been in the Merchant Navy for last 13 years and as his ship is Cayman Islands registered he has been advised by immigration agent that he requires both UK and Cayman Island Police searches. I was under the impression that it was just from Countries that you had lived in ?? (Cayman Islands also proving difficult as only correspond by mail & require USA bankers draft payment??).

Advice & reference to relevant regulations appreciated.

How long was his ship there? It's been awhile since I applied but thought it was if you'd lived in another country for 12 months.

For the Australian Government to determine whether you are of good character, you might be asked to provide police certificates for each country you have lived in for 12 months or more, over the last 10 years (calculated immediately before the time the visa application is lodged), since turning 16 years of age.