Hi Im marrying an Australian and want to be able to work

Geoff

Hi 

Ive moved to Perth from London to live with my Australian fiancee and could do with help on how or where to obtain work of any type. I'm only on a travelling visa and aged 62. We marry in November or earlier and should eventually get a spousal visa.

Ive volunteered meanwhile for unpaid work

Thanks for any advice

Geoff

Thanks.

Because of my age I think the most likely visa is spousal? This is expensive though at $6865. Are there other suitable visas to apply for basic work eg handyman, window cleaner , fruit picker, dog walker, bar / restaurant manager?

Are sponsored jobs possible for general work?

You don't qualify for any skilled visas and the occupations you mention would not be eligible for a sponsored visa - except for restaurant manager, though only in regional areas and with a number of issues and I would say your chances would be very slim and even if extremely lucky, it would not be granted before November.

While on a tourist visa, you can not do any work. Once you submit a spouse visa after you are married you will be automatically given a bridging visa which does have work rights while your spouse visa is processed. Instead of the tourist visa, you could apply for a prospective marriage visa, though I am not sure if this has work rights and it would probably not be granted before the end of the year.

As an aside, the cost for a spouse visa has now increased to $7000, you should also be aware if you are going to need to work, that ageism is very much alive and well in WA and that WA is currently in a serious economic downturn.

Thanks

Presumably once I get bridging for a spousal visa I can do self employed work as handyman, set up my own bar/ restaurant or other self employed? Due to aforesaid ageism and recession self employed could be a better option.

Also having experienced two disabled siblings I could look at care work?

Alternatives:

There's a UK Podiatrist qualification dealing with verrucas/ in growing toe nails etc which is not recognised in Australia but I could maybe practice through an Australian Podiatrist.

Also a recently advertised training course in Perth was for taking blood but very lowly paid. 

There's a 2 year Marine Trainee Safety course with WA Dept of Transport too which had I a spousal visa.I could have considered.

Regards

Geoff