Scott

Touching Base

Hi, 

Thought this would be the base best place to touch base with a few wise heads. My wife and I have been in deep discussions about relocating to Perth with our young family. Currently we live in Scotland. My wife has family out there so settling in shouldn't be to hard if we manage to get out but here is where I could do with some advise please.

My wife is a hairdresser with Toni&Guy and has already contacted a salon in Perth who said they would give her a job but unfortunately hair dressing is no longer a needed skill so she can't gain sponsorship. So this leaves me, a qualified Joiner with my own business and 20 years experience but how easy would it be for me to gain sponsorship? 

How is the work situation in Perth do they need joiners and where would be the best place for me to look for companies that I could contact? 

Any advise would be much appreciated when you have the time.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum.  The rules regarding visa's and sponsorship have recently changed so someone more knowledgeable would be able to provide answers, however, the 457 visa (if that's what you're thinking of) is only a temporary visa and has had recent changes with some occupations not being able to progress to PR.

Have you checked if Joiner is still on the skills lists?  If it is, I would consider looking at the a visa which provides PR which would mean you having a skills assessment first.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome. 

First thing is that employer sponsored visas are not the best option by any stretch. In fact i recomend against it completely for families. By far the best option are skilled permanent visas with the gold standard being a 189 independent visa. 

The good news is that your occupation of joiner is on the list available for a 189 - medium and long term list. 

The fist thing to do is go through the initial criteria and lots of reading of border.gov.au 

The initial criteria to check are age, health and if any of the family have any health issues and then points. You need to calculate how many points you qualify for and 60 is a minimum. Many people at this point find they are short of points and the most common way of topping them up is by claiming points for English. This would mean taking a test to prove it such as ilets. 

Once you are satisfied you tick all the boxes, you need to obtain a positive skills assessment. This will be a mix of submitting a lot of documents to the assessing authority for your occupation to prove experience and qualifications. Then possibly taking practical and theory tests. 

Pat the same time, taking an English exam if you need the points. 

Once all that is completed, you can lodge an expression of interest (eoi) and wait to be invited to apply. You then apply and wait to be asked for medicals and police checks, which are submitted and then wait for grant of visas. 

• Like 1

I know there are quite a few salons for sale. I was considering researching the market to buy one (that was unser management) as I see so many opportunities from an entrepreneurial point of view. Having qualified, reliable and loyal hairdressers is quite a challenge apparently (first quick impression of market research).