Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Seriously considering emigration to Australia as have a daughter already living there. We will have a good income from private and public pensions but not enough cash for the full contributory visa. Will we be able to pay in installments? Can we still claim our British pension whilst living in Australia? What is the chance of getting over there with a non-contributory visa? Sorry for all the questions but just starting out on our journey. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and welcome,

First thing is if you pass the balance of family test (do you have any more children?).  

You meet the balance of family test if:

at least half of your children live permanently in Australia, or

more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

I think the contributory parent visa is paid for in two installments (both substantial amounts).

Some people enter Aus and then apply for the non-contributory visa and are granted a bridging visa whilst they wait, but generally I believe the bridging visa only has the same rights as the previous one - so you would need to look into how restrictive this would be.

The government announced that they are going to introduce a temporary parent visa.  You still need to pass the balance of family test, your daughter will need to have been here on a PR visa for at least 2 years.  You will also need an assurance of support (I can't see that this means payment only that you will be supported financially if necessary).


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The none contributory visa is available but currently has a processing time of about 30 years. 

The effect on pensions is important. You can continue to claim but they are frozen at point of migration - so no more rises. In the long term this can be significant.  

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By PerthAtHeart
      Looks like they have lowered the annual income threshold for this visa.  But i am troubled by the condition "have no dependents."
      Do they mean having no dependents who will come live with you in Oz?
      So if all my kids are of legal age and no longer legally dependent on me but they live outside Oz, does that meet the condition?
      Even if I have kids who are somewhat dependent on me (e.g. alimony) but they are overseas and I do not declare them in my application, do they bother to check?
      I am just trying to clarify the legal language of this visa and find a pathway, given that I am not under 45 and all skilled pathways are closed to me.  It used to be that you could apply for a 189/190 up to 50 y.o., with zero points for age but it is now "under 45 years of age at time of invitation" only.
      Investor Retirement visa (subclass 405)
      Features - This temporary visa is for self-funded retirees who have no dependents and want to live in Australia during their retirement years.
      You must:
      be 55 years or older
      have no dependents (other than a partner)
      have an income of AUD 65 000 per year (or AUD 50 000 if you wish to live in a regional area)
      have a designated investment of AUD 750 000 in Australia (or AUD 500 000 if you wish to live in a regional area).
      This is the only retirement visa. If you are not eligible for this visa, you might be eligible for a parent visa.
      Length of stay - Four years
      Cost - From AUD 330
    • By Andrew Reed
      I have been in Australia for 3 years now, we are quite settled and I am looking at transferring my assets. The problem is that I have no idea how to transfer my pension, I have spoken to a couple of friends that transferred their pensions over into something called an Offshore QROPS but they seemed to have paid quite high charges (e.g. 3-5% of the total pension) are there any cheaper options out there and is this the best option?
    • By Sarah Bass
      Looking for guidance on bringing across a UK contribution pension scheme. But have some questions. 
      Quick current status summary. We have been in Australia for 4 years first on a 457 and got granted our PR Sept 2016 (so have missed out on getting our Citizenship in September this year).  We are in our mid forties.
      Assuming we do eventually get Citizenship and can afford to retire here my questions are:
      Is there tax payable if we bring across our UK pensions and put them into an Australian super fund?
      Ive seen some information around needing to leave the money in the fund for 5-10 years. Are we therefore best to look to bring it across now?
      Whats the earliest Australian super funds can be accessed come retirement?
      Is there limits to time spent abroad if you're drawing from your superfund in Australia. For example when retired up to 6 months is spent travelling a year. 
      Whats the implications if the pension funds are left in the U.K. And then we draw down on them once retirement comes?
      if anyone has experience of retiring here it would be great to here from you. 
      Many thanks