Vicky87

Construction industry

Hi All,

My husband and I are thinking of submitting our EOI shortly to start the ball rolling on getting a visa.. I understand the state sponsored visas may get processed quicker as you have more points (is this correct (?)

Anyway, I am a quantity surveyor with construction and rail experience.  I've been lead to believe infrastructure is still booming in Perth and I should be ok for work ?
    My husband however is a pipefitter, he struggled to find work when we came out on working holiday visas a few years back. We know now his job title would be Metal Fabricator, and we're wondering whether there would be any work for him?  Last thing I want to do is push for state sponsorship so we can go sooner, and find he can't get a job in that state!  Our other preferred location is Melbourne, but I know he loved Perth!

Thanks

Vicky

Hi Vicky and welcome to the forum.  Have you looked on the skills list to see if your job is on the list?  You will need a skills assessment before you can apply for the EOI.  For state sponsorship, you have to make sure that your skill is listed on the respective states wanted lists.

Ok thanks all, it is concerning me slightly that we may struggle in Perth.. My job is on the skills shortage list, his technically is as well however we know it's not that simple and that his qualifications aren't actually recognised..  they seem to assume two trades are one as well!!  

He's willing to go back to college, is there anything they are short of at the moment in Perth that he can study towards when he arrives?  Or would we be better off looking elsewhere?  We are also considering Melbourne but the weather just doesn't seem as attractive!

Just wondering, I've started looking on seek.com.au - are most Perth jobs 40 hours+ a week?!  
    When I worked briefly I was doing office work 8-5, and a lot of trades jobs seem to work 10 hours Mon-Fri and some say you also have to work 6 hours on a Sat?  Is this what we can expect?

3 hours ago, Vicky87 said:

Just wondering, I've started looking on seek.com.au - are most Perth jobs 40 hours+ a week?!  
    When I worked briefly I was doing office work 8-5, and a lot of trades jobs seem to work 10 hours Mon-Fri and some say you also have to work 6 hours on a Sat?  Is this what we can expect?

The norm would be 7  - 3.30pm / 8 - 4.30pm give or take half an hour but obviously some firms may want people to do more hours but not all.

On the mines different kettle of fish regarding hours though.

As a QS myself, with infrastructure experience you would probably be OK, our infrastructure division has been very busy, more so than than construction which has also picked up in the last year. 

those hours are much better :)

and that's good to know at least one of us should be ok.. He can get everything else organised while i earn the money!!