Train Driver/ Gas Fitter

Jocky82

Hi

Im a UK passenger train driver, and looking for advice from any drivers based in Perth?

I am also a qualified gas fitter (changed career 4 years ago),  but having read recent posts about plumbers, seems a tough route to go down!

I guess I’m after some advice regarding both careers really! 

Thanks 

6 minutes ago, verystormy said:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The big and first thing are visas. I am guessing you don't have one yet?

Thanks

No, in the very early stages of research at the minute, seem to have a few options I believe, via the skills shortage (gas fitter) and the other option is I have a daughter who lives in Perth, aged 11, she migrated with her Mum and stepdad 3 years ago, I believe I can apply via a parent visa, I’ve checked the eligibility criteria and it seems I pass that, but it comes at a cost! 

Yea I think your right there, some expert advice is defo on the agenda, although I have 15 years Plumbing and Gas experience and 4 years as a Train Driver, and my partner is a highly qualified hair stylist, being in our early 30’s and having several members of family with permanent visa’s I think our chances are fairly good.

having said that, from what I have been researching over the last month, Perth certainly doesn’t seem the dream move like everyone seems to think, it may be put in on the back burner for the meantime

Thanks for your info 

Please don’t let reasearch or other people’s experiences put you off moving if it’s what you want to do. We were 41 and 39 when we arrived last year, with a 14 and 10 year old in tow.  I would say we moved at the right time for us, but only you can determine when’s best if it is something you want to do.  We have been extremely lucky and have made a very positive move which is giving us so far everything we wanted.  We didn’t let the economic downturn or loss of jobs in mining etc put us off.  Your life is what you make it,  it definitely check out the visa situation first, if gas fitter is on the skills shortage list, they usually need more recent experience than 4 years ago, and there may be different qualifications / registrations that you need to do.  You might be able to get in with your wife’s qualifications, but I don’t know if it’s on the list.

Best of luck

Jen

Thanks Jen

glad your move is going well!

both our jobs are on the skills list, and I have around 15 years gas and plumbing experience and 4 years as a train driver

I have done an initial visa check and it came back very positive, so the chances are good I believe.

thanks for your encouraging words, and I hope you continue to enjoy your new life in Perth 

If you're both on the list and your partner has continued experience in hairdressing then I would apply under those skills.  With you having not worked in gas and plumbing for 4 years - it would be unlikely that you would be given a positive skills assessment (which includes recent experience).

I don't know much about a minor being a sponsor for a parent - as VS says - a migration agent would be able to help you out there.

15 hours ago, Jocky82 said:

Thanks for the advice, I do still keep my hand in gas work etc, but maybe not to the extent that they would require, so thats defo somthing to think about! Appreciate the feedback 

Have you had a look at the skills assessment?  https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills-assessment-for-migration/trade-occupations/assessment-process