Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone, can anyone point me in the direction of safe, clean suburbs with good schools within a max 40 min commute to Welshpool please? Budget prob max A$620,000. Children age 3,4 and 11 and 2 adults.. thanks in advance!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are quite a lot - are you looking for an older suburb, new houses?  I think it's really difficult to recommend as everyone is a little different in what they're looking for.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My advice would be to wait till you arrive and have a chance to look at different areas as what they seem like in person can be very different. When we were moving we were almost certain of the area we wanted. It was an area that is very popular. We arrived, went to see it and hated it. Also, I wouldn't recommend you immediately buy. Look at renting while you get to know it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

We've been here 15 months and only just starting to think about where we want or can afford to buy. I would definitely say rent first.

Check out the commuter routes either by car or bus/ train and prices to rent and buy of houses,  and quality of schools in a certain radius from work and narrow it down from there.  The freeway going towards the city is very busy in rush hour in the morning, and again in the afternoon going away from it, so factor this in to journey time if required.

Lots of new houses going up by us in harrisdale and southern river on new estates with new schools which have good leadership and therefore potential for good results.  Smaller plots though with not much outside space.

It depends on what you want really.

Jen 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is such a personal issue and so many of us have researched areas, and then decided once we were here that where we thought would be a good fit for our family, actually wasn't. By all means research away on the internet, but I actually think that you need to physically visit, drive around and walk through the areas you are interested in.  Visit the schools, shop in the shops, even rent in the  area to get a feel for it if you have to.   We have been in WA 27 years now and are still living in the first house we bought ... but it is nowhere near where we thought we would live. 

Research away all you can as that is so valuable, but be prepared to visit the areas you identify, and also visit many others and take @Jen78 advice and rent first in an area you like.   It might work for you, but it might not, and to buy a house on  first impression of an area can be a bad experience at times.

Let us know how you get on please....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Lucy. I’ve sent you a private message re this. I’d agree though that you really need to look around when you arrive as you have to get a feel for places😀.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lucy said:

Thanks all so much! Are there any suburbs to definitely avoid? X

Again, it's probably personal choice - a lot of people would probably mention Armadale - yet there are some nice parts of it, they have a great shopping centre and the shire is always putting on events - Harrisdale and Piara Waters are large new estates on the outskirts of Armadale and fall under that shire.  I think you have to look and get a feel for whichever suburb.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lucy said:

Thanks all so much! Are there any suburbs to definitely avoid? X

Gosnells,Maddington,Kelmscott. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wa7 said:

Gosnells,Maddington,Kelmscott. 

 

I think it depends where you live in those suburbs though.   Some parts are good, but there are other parts that have a lot of social government housing and some tenants really bring the areas down because of that.   The areas at the back of Gosnells and Kelmscott as you go up into the Hills are fine and there are some very lovely houses with amazing views up there.

My daughter and her husband both work in Welshpool and they live in Southern River (which is the next suburb south of Gosnells) on one of the new estates recently built there, and the area is fine.  They both have an easy commute to work and like the area they live in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Rossmoyne said:

I think it depends where you live in those suburbs though.   Some parts are good, but there are other parts that have a lot of social government housing and some tenants really bring the areas down because of that.   The areas at the back of Gosnells and Kelmscott as you go up into the Hills are fine and there are some very lovely houses with amazing views up there.

My daughter and her husband both work in Welshpool and they live in Southern River (which is the next suburb south of Gosnells) on one of the new estates recently built there, and the area is fine.  They both have an easy commute to work and like the area they live in.

Maybe once they have lived here for a year or three and have a better understanding of the suburbs ( I presume they are new to perth ) but fresh off the plane.................

Canning vale could be a good place to rent first and get a feel for everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would certainly agree with Maddington as a place to avoid and would avoid anywhere the required getting the train line along there as far too many issues getting the train on that line. I spent several years working fora company that had a facility in Maddington and we were eventually banned from getting the train after too many staff had issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Wa7 said:

Maybe once they have lived here for a year or three and have a better understanding of the suburbs ( I presume they are new to perth ) but fresh off the plane.................

Canning vale could be a good place to rent first and get a feel for everything.

What do  you mean "fresh off the plane"?   We have lived in WA for 27 years and my daughter was brought up here and is married to a 3rd generation Australian.... they both know the area well  and are happy to be living there.

As I say all the time, what suits one person, will not suit another.... and therefore it is hard to know where you will live until you visit areas and see how you feel about them.

Canning Vale is a very large suburb and there are pockets that are a bit suss too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rossmoyne said:

What do  you mean "fresh off the plane"?   We have lived in WA for 27 years and my daughter was brought up here and is married to a 3rd generation Australian.... they both know the area well  and are happy to be living there.

As I say all the time, what suits one person, will not suit another.... and therefore it is hard to know where you will live until you visit areas and see how you feel about them.

Canning Vale is a very large suburb and there are pockets that are a bit suss too.  

Read my reply slowly.

I am referring to them being fresh off the plane, not you.

Canning Vale doesn't have the reputation of the 3 suburbs I mentioned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have suggested Canning Vale as parts look nice, just not too sure about the reputation of Canning Vale College?

If you're considering renting then I would look at Leeming and Willetton. Expensive to buy, but OK to rent and both have good schools and are nice suburbs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought @Lucy, as you need a commute to Welshpool, consider Kalamunda, Gooseberry Hill up in the Darling Ranges, or going towards the city, if you like older suburbs, Victoria Park or Carlisle might fit the bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carramar is a long way north of Perth, and a nice family suburb with good schools, great shopping close by and the beach within a 10/15 minute drive, but the commute to Welshpool would be of nightmare proportions.   I have family living there, and whilst I like the area (as do they) we always shudder at the nearly hour long journey between us out of the rush hour (I live south of the River) when I am on Grandma babysitting duties.

Wattle Grove is a suburb undergoing great change and is in the foothills before climbing up the Darling Ranges to Kalamunda and Gooseberry Hill.   It used to be a semi rural suburb with small holdings/farmlets, but it is undergoing change and there are many new housing developments there now.  Wattle Grove Primary School closed a couple of years ago, but there other schools in the vicinity.   Very handy for Welshpool as you can see from a map. 

May I suggest that you rent to start with and take time before you buy a home.   Brilliant that you are doing so much research before you get here as it gives you a good information base to work from, knowing what housing is available and prices etc, but you actually need to be on the ground to get a feel of a place and what fits with your family dynamics.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wattle Grove primary school is up and running on a new site in a new housing development. It has won awards recently.

You can see the hills in the distance. I had an interview there a few weeks ago and was quite impressed. Young leadership team and the principle was very nice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jen78 said:

Wattle Grove primary school is up and running on a new site in a new housing development. It has won awards recently.

You can see the hills in the distance. I had an interview there a few weeks ago and was quite impressed. Young leadership team and the principle was very nice.

So glad to hear that the new school is up and running.   I knew it was on the cards but didn't know it had opened.   Thanks @Jen78 for letting me know and I hope your interview went well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×