Aaron

Just got a mark of 56 in my PTE language exam

https://pearsonpte.com/australiavisas/

My understanding is that 56% is "competent". I thought I would get a bit higher because English is my first language. 

Do you think this mark is enough to go ahead with the expression of interest or should I retake it and aim for "superior English" (79% or above)

56 will not even allow you to claim competent English. The department consider a pass for purposes of migration to be 60.  To claim any points, you need a minimum of 65 for ten points and 79 for 20 points. 

18 hours ago, verystormy said:

56 will not even allow you to claim competent English. The department consider a pass for purposes of migration to be 60.  To claim any points, you need a minimum of 65 for ten points and 79 for 20 points. 

Hi very stormy. Thank you very much for your reply. I guess I will  just need to rebook the exam for another £155! I’ll need to analyse these results and work out where I’m going wrong.

I’m slightly autistic so this might have affected my performance  a bit on the day compared to another native English speakers. I did practice all four components. But I found 3 hours a bit long for an exam to prove I can speak my native language! Can’t believe I got less than 70% to be honest!

Here’s my score breakdown. I guess I will just need to keep practicing the areas I’m weakest at:

Communicative Skills:

Listening 44

Reading 67

Speaking 59

Writing 51

Enabling Skills:

Grammar 67

Oral Fluency 71

Pronunciation 46

Spelling 63

Vocabulary 62

Written Discourse 78

Like stormy says, plenty of of natives who are either not passing or not getting full points for it. Says enough about the test imho, but hey it is how it is. All the best with your next test.

Hey guys thank you vert much for your kind words of support. I will re-double my efforts to get an 80+ mark on the next attempt!

All the best to you guys aswell.