Young Family, hoping to make the move

jproberts

Hi all!

Myself, my wife (both 24) and our two boys ages 2.5 and 9months are hoping to make the move to Perth! We were actually in the process of applying for our Canadian visa to emigrate to Alberta from South Wales. However, after more and more research on the job market in Alberta and finally getting in touch with a friend who lives over there (not great feedback which is always slightly off putting) we’ve centred our research on Perth.

I’ve put another post on the British Expat forum but there are a lot of negative replies regarding moving to Perth as it’s been in a recession for years now and that wages are a lot lower than we were expecting. We’ve based our expectations from jobs found on Seek and Indeed so far? I’m sure I’ll be posting with a lot of questions soon enough but for now I just thought I’d introduce myself and the family!

Cheers,

Jack

Your first step is to look at the jobs lists to see if your occupation is there.

Mine is on there. We’re just about to make our first payment to get things moving with an immigration agent. Got a long road ahead! On the plus side I have already done my IELTS etc from looking at emigrating to Canada previously.

On 08/06/2020 at 20:31, jproberts said:

Mine is on there. We’re just about to make our first payment to get things moving with an immigration agent. Got a long road ahead! On the plus side I have already done my IELTS etc from looking at emigrating to Canada previously.

Good luck with the process - I found gathering the info for the skills assessment the most time consuming.  What visa are you applying for?  Covid, has like many places had an impact upon  jobs, but hopefully things will pick up soon.

Thanks @ali. Lucky I still had all of my NVQ job reports on hand for the work history section and my bosses have signed off the references straight away so I think i've got pretty much everything uploaded. How long have you been over in Perth and how long did the rest of the process take you after getting the skills assessment sorted. 

We've just signed up with the Down Under Centre who seem heard up towards tradesmen in particular. They're advising 5-7months actual visa processing time and think that we should get picked fairly early after submitting an EOI as we have 80-85 points. We're aiming towards a 190 with a 489 being a plan B.

We've been here since 2007 and the process was a lot easier then (I'm a nurse) as once the ANMAC had approved skills assessment they actually (at my request) sent all the documents to the nursing board or WA for registration (AHPRA came in a few years later).  When we moved, there wasn't the process of applying for EOI.  The whole process for us took 7 months from applying for skills assessment to getting the visa.  

• 1 month later...

Hi Jack

Where in South Wales are you from? We're from Newport and moved to Perth last year. We have a 3 year old daughter, its a great place to raise children as there are so many family events and free activities. 

Good luck with the whole process, we came over on my visa but my husband is a pipefitter, he works for Austal now.. he said the work is a similar set-up but he starts at 6am 😴

also, as far as work it seems to be a who you know rather than what you know kinda place. My salary is lower than the UK but my husband is on an equivalent rate.  You should hopefully be ok as you will have your trade recognised to an Aussie standard, it is quite a tough market atm though as a lot are unemployed. 

Just check where you can settle on a 190 visa as I think there are restrictions, but there should be shutdown work you can pick up to get experience 🤞🏻

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, @Vicky87 

We're just outside Newport too, in Newbridge. Glad to hear you're all enjoying it, especially with the little one. That's our main reason for making the move. One of our sons will be 3 when we make the move, how has she adapted to not seeing faimly etc? 

I start at 6am here so thats not too much of an issue, i'm either 6-2 or 2-20 here whereas i'm hoping to get a more regular days shift in Perth so that i'm home in the evenings for the kids more often. I've now got my skills assessment and everything done so we're just waiting for the states to open back up to submit our EOI. 

She has adapted fine, made a few friends from daycare and when playgroups were running.. she does occasionally say she would rather live near her grandparents but I dont think she really understands what that means!  Is been pretty chilly through the winter and she has hated it, so I've told her it's cold all the time in Wales 😂

Sounds like you have a few months before the visa is approved- hopefully the economy would have started picking up by then 🤞🏻 

• 9 months later...

Hey @jproberts,

How did you get on with your visa plans? I was roughly on the same kind of timeline as yourself with my visa, skills assessment done in August 2020, Pearson PTE in September, then EIO lodged in November. Just last month applied to the DOHA for our PR visa not sure how long it will take from here had been advised 6-12 months hopefully not as long as the latter! 

Looking make the move with wife and my two boys (1 and4). 

Cheers.