Aaron

Covid 19 Impact

Hi guys, sorry I have not really been on here in ages. Quick update from me. I am still considering applying for a skilled migrant visa but I heard from a friend that Australia has suspended all visa applications until covid-19 is resolved. Is this true? I still need to re-sit my PTE exam and apparently gain a score of at least 80% (which will take some doing because I suck at listening). So my plan is to use the time to prepare for the exam and hopefully when this all ends and things return to normal I can get on with the application process again.  I know the borders are currently closed according to the below link:

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/i-want-apply-visa

The state sponsored visas (190 and 491) are closed, though the 189 is open. However, for a 189 to get an invite it would require 95 points. 

Yeah I got an overall score of 56% in the last PTE test. 44 Listening, 67 Reading, 59 Speaking, 51 Writing.

So looks like I need to put in a lot of practice anyway to get anywhere near the 79% mark for superior English. For me even though I'm from the UK and English is my first language, the 3 hour exam was a real test of my ability to take in all the information, concentrate and manage time.

On 21/08/2020 at 18:52, Aaron said:

Yeah I got an overall score of 56% in the last PTE test. 44 Listening, 67 Reading, 59 Speaking, 51 Writing.

So looks like I need to put in a lot of practice anyway to get anywhere near the 79% mark for superior English. For me even though I'm from the UK and English is my first language, the 3 hour exam was a real test of my ability to take in all the information, concentrate and manage time.

Not sure if you are aware Aaron, but there are practice tests for PTE on the internet.   I couldn't find the link just now, but google PTE practice tests and you should find them OK.   You aren't alone as an English native speaker, not doing too well in English tests as many find the same thing.  Practice though and I am sure that you will do much better next time.