mental health nursing

Guest steve777

Guest steve777

hi everyone

I am moving to perth from the uk ,with my wife and daughter age 9,we have jobs in Bentley hospital as mental health nurses, level 2.Would really appeciate any info on what mental health nursing is like over there.

steve

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve, I work in Armadale. Community resources aren't the same as UK, big pressure on beds here. You're lucky to get a level 2, I only got offered a 1.9 initially but am level 2.4 now. Patients seem to be the same the world over. Hardest bit is learning all the trade names for meds, they don't seem to refer to many drugs by their generic name at all. Good luck with the move.

Ali

Guest steve777

hi Ali

Thanks for your comments it all helps to take the mystery out of the thought of working in perth.We were out in perth at easter and loved it,then came home and by coincidence the wa health department were over in uk recruiting gave us jobs right away but were rather vague about what the jobs were.Have been contacted by nurse manager at Bentley Hospital who has filled us in and reassured us. It will be quite odd going back to the wards after working in the community for the last Seven years but change is as good as a rest.

How long have you been over in perth and have you found the transition to working in perth not too painfull?

steve

Hi Steve,

I'd not worked on a ward for 10 years - gave myself 6 months then to find a community post (which I started in August). U'd been a band 7 CPN in a crisis and home treatment service so our job was to keep people out of hospital - our community teams just aren't big enough to do that.

We've been in Perth a year and love it, all settled in well (2 children 8 and 12)Where are you going to be living? We're in Leeming which is not far from Canning Vale

Ali

Guest steve777

hi Ali

We have not made up our minds yet as to where to live , we are looking at south of the river but it will depend a lot on house prices. We would welcome any advice on where not to live!, have friends that live in secret harbour and sounds nice.

Do you find nursing over in perth, has less red tape and paperwork? over here we are drowning in it. Do you find the pace of work any less stressfull or relaxed?

We are still waiting for a visa and I suspect it will be a while before we get over, the waiting is a nightmare. My daughter (9) cant wait to go she does not seem phased by the idea at all (thankfully).

steve

• 2 years later...
Guest nursingcollege9

Wearing the uniform of a nurse was a dream I cherished since childhood. Little did I realize that my dream would come true after completion of studies from American College of Nursing. Not only does the San Francisco Bay area college provides the best of education, but also helps makes learning a fun.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

You said you sent cv's to hospital, can you please tell me where to find e- mail addresses. Most of the hospital sites I have been on do not have e-mail addresses especially for recruitment. You hospital e- mail add will be a start. Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

please could you give me information regarding graduate programmes. I am a student mental healthnurse and qualify August 2014. I have sent CVs to various hospitals in Perth for graduate programmes and possible employment. I am 39 and have a partner and 3 children. We are travelling to perth in Novemebr this year to test the water and meet with one of the clinics who replied to my CV regarding future employment opportunities. Hopefully this will be our way in :) fingers crossed. Could you give me advice regarding the grad programme and applying for visas without being qualified. My partner has just retrained from (hgv driver) as a plumber/ gas fitter to level 3 so he can get a visa. Just not sure if I should get the visa or him so confusing. Thank you and enjoy the sun (raining here)

Charlene

Here's a link for the graduate nurse programme - here the training is comprehensive. You will be unable to get a visa until you qualify. Preference will be given to students who trained in Australia and over the last couple of years, they've struggled to find enough places for those graduating nurses, so there is a chance you would not be offered a place.

If your husband meets the criteria to get a visa - you could be included on that application, you would then just apply to AHPRA once you qualify to register.

http://www.nursing.health.wa.gov.au/graduate/registered.cfm?CFID=22929057&CFTOKEN=57931776

Thanks Ali for replying with such good advice ( much needed). I am hoping the Hollywood private clinic offer me something when I am visiting perth in 24 sleeps (excited). It sounds like you have made a nice life for yourself andd your family and helping others to do so. Love reading these posts they really help with answers to so many questions. I will keep you informed regarding my visit if I am succesful or if my partner gets work also. I am going with an open mind and any opportunity will be a bonus.

Also where is good for breakfast we will be saying in rendevous grand hotel scarborough beach and need advice on good food places.

Thank you

Charlene

Hi Charlene,

I'm an RMN and fly to Perth with my OH on Nov 28th to start our life in Oz. I would be very interested on hearing how you get on with the interviews as I will also be looking for a job.

How long are you staying in Scarborough Beach? We are staying with friends there so maybe you'd like to meet for a coffee/drink?

Good luck

Hi Kaz,

I am flying out on the 28th November too from manchester 8:45 am to dubai to perth. we will be staying in scarbourough beach for 11 nights at the rendevous grand. I will keep you updated regarding interviews etc and I would like to meet up for chat I will arange nearer to the time whens best for both of us. Did you try the hollywood private clinic they are looking for mental health nurses due to expansion of the hospital.

Good luck and speak soon

Charlene

Hi Charlene

We are flying from Heathrow via Singapore. I did apply for position there through an agency but was told I was probably too qualified for that particular job. I intend to contact hospitals once I have arrived as I hope it will be easier to speak to the relevant people.

Look forward to getting in contact

Kaz

Thanks Kaz

I have just emailed the hospital to arrange a meet up date, hope they get back to me soon. I contacted them direct and they replied the same day. WHich area are you thinking of living in, have you children to consider schools etc. getting close now im excited cant imagine how excited you are making the big move in 24 days.

speak soon

Charlene

• 2 weeks later...
Hello! So I had my interview today for the Hollywood clinics mental health ward, I reckon it went pretty well. They're contacting my references and then I'll know within two weeks, I hope this is good news!!

Glad it went well for you, fingers crossed and look forward to hearing how you got on. I've sent my application form back to them so they may be contacting my references also. Hopefully we will both know soon :wubclub: