Guest jojohenry

Carpentry Tools

Guest jojohenry

Hi there I'm a qualified carpenter moving to WA, I wondered whether anyone could help me to find out if it worth bringing my English tools over and if I can put a new plug on the tools as its the same voltage.... any help appreciated.

Hi there I'm a qualified carpenter moving to WA, I wondered whether anyone could help me to find out if it worth bringing my English tools over and if I can put a new plug on the tools as its the same voltage.... any help appreciated.

Bring everything, you do know site power tools are 240V here?

Guest jojohenry

Hi yeh i knew that so its hopefully just a plug change but my tools are 110v and run off a 240 step down transformer so i guess i can still use all this but you wont see anyone else using a transformer. what is it like shipping them they have to be immaculately clean am i right? thanks

Hi yeh i knew that so its hopefully just a plug change but my tools are 110v and run off a 240 step down transformer so i guess i can still use all this but you wont see anyone else using a transformer. what is it like shipping them they have to be immaculately clean am i right? thanks

Clean is good, the smell of disinfectant is good. But they are really worried about organic "dirt" which could harbour pests and diseases.

Guest bushell and hernandez

hi,

i am a chippy as well moving in september(not sure where yet),i was going to take over my tools and like you said use my transformer, and change the plugs.

have you done much research about work, how much day rates are? and the best place to find work agency's /papers?

where are you going?

Guest jojohenry

Hi there, havnt been on here for a while so late response. No i havnt realy researched into the job side of things too much they dont really seem to advertise on the internet too much but my dad is out there 6 moths of the year and says they're still crying out for any trade workers. we are looking to go to perth how about yourself?

Someone recommended Jeyes fluid to us .... everything smelled like hospitals used to lol

Guest mark macdonald

im planning to move out in december do you know if there is plenty work for joiners out in perth???im from scotland

Guest LadyW

Hi

My husband is a joiner and we are looking to move early next year, so I would like to keep in touch with you all regarding your move, tools, job prospects etc. Hope this is ok, and how do I keep track of you?! VERY new to site?

Guest joncaz
Hi

My husband is a joiner and we are looking to move early next year, so I would like to keep in touch with you all regarding your move, tools, job prospects etc. Hope this is ok, and how do I keep track of you?! VERY new to site?

Hi, We (me 40,hubby41, Emily10, Harry8) are making the move Jan 9th, hubby is a joiner too, we live in Widnes so that isn't that far from you. If you want to PM me feel free. joncaz

Guest Soapsudsue

Hi all!

I have only just found this site, cant believe it!

Anyway, we are landing in Perth on 4th October, hubbie is a carpenter, has over 15 years experience can do 1st fix, 2nd fix, kitchens, bedrooms, office fit outs, pretty much anything to do with wood! Any contacts for work would be greatly appreciated! Also, does anyone know if he needs anything other than his visa and tools to start work?

Cheers!

Guest janeubu

hi ya my hubby is a chippy also an we are landing perth 1st jan so would be gud to have a catch up when therex

Guest LadyW

It would be great to stay in touch with all of you joiner "wifeys" for the big move!! Not sure how to make friends on this site but Hi everyone!

Guest hope

Hiya,I'm a joiners wife too,we are planning on arriving oct time,we are also from manchester - where abouts in manchester are you??

Guest Suziepops

Hi all

My other half is a Carpenter and we're going out to Perth in September 2011, where abouts in Perth is everyone considering?

Suzanne

Guest fellbell

Hi all,

please can someone give pros and cons for taking carpentry tools with you? My OH is a carpenter and we are emigrating in September, he wasn't going to take any tools and was going to sell all of them before we left as most are very old and need replaced any way!

Any advice will be great

Thanks Jo

Pro's are you're ready for work as soon as you can get it without the additional expense of buying new tools - it also gives you time to find out where the best buys are so you'll have time to shop around.

The Cons I guess (not knowing anything about tools) is that they have to be clean. My hubby brought his tool box, got rid of all the really old stuff, but still brought a fair bit which passed inspection.

Guest Suziepops

Hi

Still undecided as to where to live so it looks like it'll be a holiday village for a few weeks until we get our bearings, but yes we can stay in touch as Carpenter wifey's.

Suzanne

I would ditch the power tools, on construction sites in the north west (FIFO jobs pay big) your tools would be supplied. Just bring your non power tools and start again when you get here. Dont tie yourself in knots over the best disinfectant it not worh it.

There are also very strict rules re who is allowed to change minor things like plugs on tools, it not like the UK. Electrical,plumbing,gas fitting, air cond, are all very tightly controlled with licences etc.

Guest fellbell

Thanks ali & cocknerybynature for the advice much appreciated! Can't wait for September to get out there!!

Guest jojohenry

Hi

thats cool were not to clued up on the site yet how does it work can you add people as friends???? also to anyone on this thread, we are in the smc application stage and am doing my practical assessment in the next few weeks does anyone know how long roughly until visas are granted from this stage?

Guest LadyW

Sorry for the late response Ive been really busy! Me and my hubby live in M27. Great to hear other people fromt eh North West are moving out to Aus! Stay in otuch x

Guest janeubu

hi lady w have u in my friends list so will keep u updated when we arrive perth in jan:smile:jane

Guest janeubu
Hi, We (me 40,hubby41, Emily10, Harry8) are making the move Jan 9th, hubby is a joiner too, we live in Widnes so that isn't that far from you. If you want to PM me feel free. joncaz

hi joncaz,see u arrive just after us so maybe meet up in perth for an arrival drink?(me 42,oh 42,olly 10