Guest jojohenry

Carpentry Tools

Guest Dannyboy

Hi I'm a chippy and been here 5 years, I would bring all of your hand tools to oz. i wouldn't bother with most of your power tools, I would bring battery drills, paslode guns etc, anything with a 240v charger. But as far as 110v goes, you'll replace it all in no time for 240v and then be stuck with the 110v tools for the next 10years in your garage. Bunnings (equivalent of B&Q) have really upped their game over the last twelve months with there power tools selection, lots of dewalt and makita gear, and is very affordable compared with the proper tools shops. hope this helps and good luck with the move :) Danny

Guest Brettsarah

Hi Danny

We are hoping to be out in wa in about 4 weeks other half a carpenter, what in your opinion is the work situation like out there? We read alot about working the mines but don't really want to go that route. What areas are there more jobs going north or south?

Would you say the prices of tools over there are pretty similar to ours?? thanks

Sarah

Guest Dannyboy

Hi Sarah,

In general there is plenty of work around in both the Northern and Southern suburbs. I live north and the amount of houses going up is unreal, the new alkimos estate went from an area of sand to having 200+ houses built in just a couple of weeks. There is definately no need to go to the mines if you dont want to, Although it can be easy to earn $10 000 a month up there. so sometimes as a temporary thing it can put you in a good position.

For me I went to the mines and earnt really good money but, I didn't like it at all, its long hours, away from home, ridiculous heat in heavy clothing, no phones, same food etc. I didnt come to oz for that! so I came back to Perth and decided to go self employed. The prices of power tools here are 'reasonable' but hand tools are not that cheap. I didnt bring anything out here as i was told to get rid of everything and just bring suitcases............That was officially the worst piece of advice I have ever been given lol. you'll pick bits and bobs up along the way and buy new stuff once money starts coming in again. I'll send you a few tool shop sites when I get home from work for you to compare tool prices.

As far as living NOR or SOR, well I live north and love it but theyre both about the same and houses are going up everywhere, you'll be happy wherever you decide, Im sure of it. feel free to get in touch when you arrive and i'll try and point you in the right direction.

Guest jojohenry

Hi Danny. Some good advise with the tools needed someone to come in and say that, i was hoping to still take over all my battery stuff as most of it is all the new makita, paslode range. If you don't mind me asking what visa did you get out to oz on and how long did it take? I have a practical assessment next month so im seeing if anyone can shed some light into how long it might be from then??

Guest Dannyboy

I'm not quite sure on how long you'll be waiting but, its approx 18 months from when you first send of your application from what I gather, thats roughly how long most peoples take, I took the short cut and got all my paperwork, letters, police checks etc that I needed and brought them out here, I came out on a 12 month holiday visa and applied straight away for a general skilled visa. My residancy came through in 6 months. I was told before hand it was a lot quicker to apply onshore than offshore. which worked a treat, however I know a lot of people that haven't been so lucky and still waiting years later, so all in all I have no idea how it works :) its also a nuisance that you cant ring up and ask what stage your at until youve been appointed a case officer, so I think its a bit of a long haul until you get of those.

The practical assessment? is that compulsory for all traded visa's now or is that only if you've been doing a job for years but havent got papers? as i think that used to be the case a few years back. I didnt have to do an assesment when I applied, but I have heard of it. My sister had to do one when she came out as a hairdresser but she was sponsored so its a different visa again. Ill have an ask around to see how long you'll be looking at, someone will have done it, everyones on that many visa's its hard to keep track. is yours the general skilled visa?

Guest Brettsarah

Hi Dannyboy Many thanks for your reply nice to get some useful an positive replies from someone whose living and working there again many thanksSarah & brett

Guest jojohenry

Hi Danny yeh im applying for a general skilled visa. I have all my paper work (nvq3) so im guessing that it is compulsory to do the assessment test now. i have it on the 11th of this month its just a bit strange because you dont get told what is involved in it, i guess they do it like that so cowboys cant just do a load of revision and get in. cheers Henry

Hi Guys

We re off to Perth in April Woooooooooo Woooooooooo!!!!!!!

Im a Cabinet-maker and on a 176 visa and not got a job lined up yet but plenty of work for tradies on SEEK website.No probs u chippys gettin work,I would like to get in on the kitchen fitting or office installs.Had lots of experience .Been lookin up the mining jobs too.BIG money .

Looked up shipping of tools and takes 8-12 weeks on sea freight so long time to wait for bulk of tools.Thinking about taking small tool kit on plane as extra baggage,or the IOM do migration 1 way flights with 40k baggage allowance per person !!!

Anyway when in Perth hope to meet up with some brits in same boat,hopefully the girls can get together and make new friends while us WOOD choppers bring home the bacon..Oh OZ bacon not so good but Hey not a great hardship lol

Message back soon Guys

Jon

Hi, We (me 40,hubby41, Emily10, Harry8) are making the move Jan 9th, hubby is a joiner too, we live in Widnes so that isn't that far from you. If you want to PM me feel free. joncaz

Yes mate

I had a TRA in 2009 they try to catch you out and make sure your in the trade you say you are.

Is good I guess stops the country your going to fill up with unwanted cowboys.

Good luck with your conquest and hope you reep your rewards

Jon

Hi

Hope you still use this site?

How did you get on with the move we re coming over in April 2012

Be good to chat and swap stories?

Did your hubby ship all his tools or did he opt to buy new 1s over there?

Being nosy and hope to cheat and make it easier on my shipping over ?

Bet the weather is great?

Lucky buggers lol

Cant wait

Jon

Hi all!

I have only just found this site, cant believe it!

Anyway, we are landing in Perth on 4th October, hubbie is a carpenter, has over 15 years experience can do 1st fix, 2nd fix, kitchens, bedrooms, office fit outs, pretty much anything to do with wood! Any contacts for work would be greatly appreciated! Also, does anyone know if he needs anything other than his visa and tools to start work?

Cheers!

Cheers Danny

Great advice

Keep in touch please mate.Sounds like ur settled .You get work ok?

Jon

Hi I'm a chippy and been here 5 years, I would bring all of your hand tools to oz. i wouldn't bother with most of your power tools, I would bring battery drills, paslode guns etc, anything with a 240v charger. But as far as 110v goes, you'll replace it all in no time for 240v and then be stuck with the 110v tools for the next 10years in your garage. Bunnings (equivalent of B&Q) have really upped their game over the last twelve months with there power tools selection, lots of dewalt and makita gear, and is very affordable compared with the proper tools shops. hope this helps and good luck with the move :) Danny

Guest Soapsudsue

Hi all! We arrived here on 4th October 2011. We started off in the Northern Suburbs in Duncraig, we are now in a rental in Heathridge. Hubby was hoping for a two week holiday, but landed a job within a few days, so grabbed it up. Wasnt really what he wanted to do it was building transportable buildings, but its best just to get working as a lot of the adverts ask for WA experience, so he had that under his belt. he left that job to work for a builder in Fremantle and has been there ever since. There is plenty of work here, if you are not too fussy, just to get your foot in the door and get the experience. Some can come accross a bit racist and say they dont want Poms and rhey have had poms in the past who have been rubbish. You just need to ride with it and prove yourself, dont let it get to you. The best places for jobs are the The West newspaper, on a Wednesday and Saturday. Also http://www.gumtree.com.au is a good place to set up email alerts, http://www.seek.com.au there are also plenty of agencies to find you work. Also the local free paper (Ours is the Joondalup Times) has some jobs in. Most will ask you to leave a message. Dont be surprised if you dont get a call back same day, my husband was getting responses a couple of weeks after he called. Just be sure to have your CV ready and apply for your white card and ABN asap as you will need both to work. You can get your white card online at http://www.narbiltraining.edu.au/white-card/wa/ the test takes about 2hours. You cant apply for your ABn until you arrive at http://www.business.gov.au

As for tools like mentioned in a previous post, it is more soil or dirt they care concerned with that my bring in bugs etc. We didnt have a problem at customs they went straight though. We just sprayed them and got all the loose sawdust etc off. My hubboe brought his 110 adaptor and is still using that. If you have any 240 tools or any other electricals you are bringing ie hairdryers tvs etc I would recommend buying a load of adaptots from ebay (I brought 20) as they are expensive to buy here.

Hope I have helped a little!

Good luck!

:cool:

Guest Soapsudsue
    Hi

Hope you still use this site?

How did you get on with the move we re coming over in April 2012

Be good to chat and swap stories?

Did your hubby ship all his tools or did he opt to buy new 1s over there?

Being nosy and hope to cheat and make it easier on my shipping over ?

Bet the weather is great?

Lucky buggers lol

Cant wait

Jon

Jon

Only just seen your message to me sorry! I have posted a general reply on here. I would say if you can ship as much as you can. There are lots of things to pay out for in the first 6 months here so you need all the ready cash you have, you don't want to be buying tools you already own. We shipped 20 boxes with Anglo pacific and it cost us £700, most of it was tools, but they are worth 10 times that to buy again! He is gradually replacing things, then he just keeps his 110s at home for playing around in the garage. Everyone has their own personal opinion, but i would sya bring as much as you can. Furniture etc isnt worth bringing unless you have real good quality stuff at home. People are relocating here all the time and there are constant garage sales selling off an entire household which half the time are practically new! We furnished our 4 bed for around $1500! If you have gaps in your boxes to fill, put in things like knifes n forks, mugs, duvet sets, kids toys etc. Its great when it turns up and you have a cuppa your favourite cup or the kids unpack a box of toyys, it all helps settle in!

Any questions please shout, but we are very happy here so far! Dont get me wrong it is a struggle to begin with and it wont just fall on your lap. **** will get thrown your way, but you have to rise above and say its not gonna make you give up and go back, be strong, its soooo worth it!!

Best of luck!

Guest LADYJO

Hi , we are moving to perth in about 3 mths. Were told it takes 10 weeks for my husbands carpentry tools to arrive in perth! Would it be worth buying new power tools? Are they more expensive in australia than uk. Also would it be wise to ship out his mercedes vito van 2006reg, or buy a van in oz, seems expensive to ship stuff!

Guest Soapsudsue
    Hi , we are moving to perth in about 3 mths. Were told it takes 10 weeks for my husbands carpentry tools to arrive in perth! Would it be worth buying new power tools? Are they more expensive in australia than uk. Also would it be wise to ship out his mercedes vito van 2006reg, or buy a van in oz, seems expensive to ship stuff!

Hi there

Our shipping took about 7 weeks. My husband put in his suitcase the minimum hand tools, belt and steelies so he could start work. We also sent our shipping a month before we left the UK, so he would only be a few weeks here without them. Some tools he had two of so we he kept a spare tool box back to finish off in the UK with and left it with his Mum. You also have a lot more friends and family in the UK you can borrow from for a few weeks, which you wont have when you first land here. I would definately recommend sending it early, as we only waited two weeks after landing. So if you want you can just have a holiday til it arrives! :) There are a few jobs where tools are provided (bedroom/kitchen fitting etc) or roofing that only requires what you can fit in your suitcase. So you can always take those jobs for the first month or so. We sent approx 20 boxes of £700 which is far less than the cost of replacing all his tools which are valued at thousands. Tools here are around the same price.

As for the van, yes second hand motors are very expensive, we bought an old 96 Barina (Corsa) and it cost us $2000, then blew up after 4 days! We ended up getting a 2005 Ute from a dealer for $9000. Shipping a van is around £2000 I think, so you need to weigh up what is best for you really.

Guest LADYJO

hi there. not sure how to use this site yet. anyway thank you for the help and advice. any help is appreciated.