British Gas heating engineer looking for work in Perth!!!!

Guest craiga20uk

Guest craiga20uk

Me and my girlfriend are moving over to Perth at the end of the year,initially on a 12 month working holiday visa.I am a fully qualified (corgi/gas safe) engineer,and have been working with British Gas for the past 5 years.I am looking to continue working in the trade over in Australia,but can't seem to find many companies based in or around Perth to get in touch with.I am hopefully going to try and get a job offer whilst over there,i'm assuming that this will help with applying for permanent residency?Any help or information anyone could offer will be greatly appreciated,thanks.Craig

• 3 weeks later...
Guest craiga20uk
Hi Craig

Just a few tips on your background and what you are looking for.I used to be a plumber gas fitter back in the 70,s in the UK.

I can give you some advice on this but you may have to change your goals etc, please reply if you are interested in some advice from someone who's been there done that.

I'd love some advice mate,I don't really know where to start to be honest.I've been granted a working holiday visa,so I'm coming over to Oz at the start of 2012,firstly to do a bit of travelling up the East coast,then flying over to Perth to check out a few neighbourhoods,and look for a short term job and accommodation.I'm hoping to approach a few gas companies whilst over there aswell to see where I stand.

Guest lisalolo

Hiya - just reading your posts and wondered if you could give me any info /advice in this direction as I too am a corgi / gas safe engineer here in UK and will be arriving in Perth in June. Have had some info but not too positive. I know I can go and get my trade assistant license when I arrive - I spoke to Mike Broomhead ( gas trainer from MPA skills in Perth ) who said I need to get an Oz portfolio of work together but added that gas fitting in Perth was "very thin on the ground " so is it even worth me re-training ?

Be good to hear anyone's personal experience with regards to this.

Phil

I'd love some advice mate,I don't really know where to start to be honest.I've been granted a working holiday visa,so I'm coming over to Oz at the start of 2012,firstly to do a bit of travelling up the East coast,then flying over to Perth to check out a few neighbourhoods,and look for a short term job and accommodation.I'm hoping to approach a few gas companies whilst over there aswell to see where I stand.

Craig

how long does a working holiday visa let you stay in oz for>

I just picked up a copy of thewestaustralian last Saturdays` edition, and among the professional appointment ads, is ATCO,a company intending creating a new head office in Perth who *operate 3 power generation plants in the Australia, and offer a full range of energy infrastructure services including transmission and distribution of electricity, natural gas, natural gas gathering, processing and storage * view the ATCO link on Beilby.com.au

you can check out these and many more ads on wjobs.com.au:huh:

• 1 year later...

i know this thread is over a year old, but i was wondering how craig got on?

also more info on this thread if any? i too am hopefully going to Perth with my wife, i'll be on a spousal visa though,

what are the job prospects like across there, i've been keeping an eye on the SEEK website and other sites, also i know i'll be doing courses to prove i can actually do gas fitting etc with challenger TAFE,

any info would be excellent

Thanks Steven