Suburbs

ali

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We love Kingsley, handy for everything and we live on a nice quiet street with friendly neighbours. I love that is is more established with lots of trees.

Travelchic lives in Beldon, its not far from here on the beach side of the freeway. We had a drive through Carramar when we arrived and it wasn't what we were looking for, bit new and felt it was a bit far from the city/train station for us as hubby works in city (and so will I as of next week). Also something that put me off was that there was only one primary school that had nearly 1000 students. Apparently 30% are British that live there so very popular. Others who actually live there may have better info but like I said not for us.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Guys

Does anyone know anything about the suburb Innaloo? Its North of the River. I am Children's Nurse looking to migrate at the end of the year and hoping to work at the New Children's Hospital (which is NOR) so looking for any recommendations on suburbs. Will prbably drive to work due to early starts/late finihes, nights etc...and happy to drive about 30 mins each way. Any tips much appreciated. :-)

Carrie

Hi Carrie,

We live in Churchlands so Innaloo is our nearest shopping centre ( 4 mins away) . It's very handy for all the amenities , CBD 10 mins away, beach 10 mins in opp direction. Love it here, schools are excellent. The new hospital is about 10 minutes away and you wouldn't have to use the freeway so you'd avoid most of the traffic. Some areas around Innaloo are quite industrial but I think that's heading towards Osbourne park. It's quite ethnically diverse and not that many British ( compared to further north ) I was initially torn between here and Hilary's but now I've been here 4 months, I feel I made the right decision.

Hi Guys

Does anyone know anything about the suburb Innaloo? Its North of the River. I am Children's Nurse looking to migrate at the end of the year and hoping to work at the New Children's Hospital (which is NOR) so looking for any recommendations on suburbs. Will prbably drive to work due to early starts/late finihes, nights etc...and happy to drive about 30 mins each way. Any tips much appreciated. :-)

Carrie

I'm about the Innaloo area quite often. You have the local shops, but 5mins up to Karinryup shopping center is better for Myer / David Jones.

Scarborough beach road is generally busy at rush hour, and all weekend. Scarbs itself is a nice beach, but it's a short drive to Cott (which in my opinion is nicer).

Ikea area is a nightmare for traffic too. Thursday late night shopping.

The freeway at Stirling gets busy from 6:30 in the morning, and again from 4:30 in the evening.

The main pub in the area is "The Saint". It's huge. Big TVs for sports, outside area for bands, has a bottle shop and restaurant area.

JINDALEE BEACHSIDE:

North next to Quinns Rocks, Beachside café Chippys, lots of local shops and takeaways, Drs, dentist, gym, The Dome looking over the lakes and parkland (free coffee for that plug Rob),

tavern, bus service, 3 min drive to train station, train into Perth 35min or so, 13 min drive to Joondalup major shopping centre, Hospitals public and private, 5 min Clarkson shopping centre, about 20 min Hillarys,

I have driven to Fremantle in 40 min on a Sunday, 40 min drive to Perth no traffic, 10 min to Yanchep caves and National Park. Swan valley 30 min, I don't mind driving so never seems far for me.

I love it here was going to sell and downsize move a few minutes away but changed my mind for the time being.

Yes I agree with Lauren the info you guys supply is invaluable and is a massive help so thank you so a friend in butler has suggested to move closer to the CBD as its more than an hour everyday to get to princess Margaret children's hospital from Quinns, it was mentioned in an earlier thread about the area of Kingsley and after a bit of research it appeals to us quite a lot! Does anyone have any more information on what's around there, what it's like to live, is it industrial like, amenities and closeness to beach etc (it's hard to judge from an aerial view on Google maps) swear to god it's our favourite hit on the iPad! Look forward to hearing from you guys

Carrie

• 3 weeks later...
Fremantle or Walyalup

Old part of Perth, actually the oldest in recent history I believe and named after Charles Howe Fremantle who claimed possession of WA in around 1829.

Some gorgeous (IMHO) residential properties, lots of history of course, Maritime Museum, Prison, Fantastic Arts centre, great music scene, Urban Spoon lists 57 coffee shops, loads of great restaurants, an okay sort of market, great pool, fishing harbour and so on.

Median house prices (REIWA Dec 2011) $740,000 or $595pw rental for 3 beds

East Freo Primary, Beaconsfield and Freo Primary are all good schools by all accounts. (My kids love Freo Primary and have settled in far better than they did in Willetton. They're not academic and the school is very creative)

Notre Dame uni has a good reputation and there's an excellent circus school. The meeting place community centre also does some great creative courses.

Franks speciality butchers on Wray Avenue does some superb meat and there are some fabulous independent shops. If you really have to then there's a Woolies, Coles and a few IGA's but the market is dirt cheap on a Sunday afternoon when they're trying to clear stock.

Freo has always been known as a bit of a hippy town and there are a few quirky characters left but most have been priced out or sold up.

Weekends are pretty lively and there's a good buzz around town but alcohol can bring the worst out in people but it's nothing compared to London.

South beach is still my favourite place but there are numerous others within 15 minutes north or south.

Trains to the CBD take around 30 to 40 minutes.

The airport is around the same to drive.

There's a ferry to the city too which, again, is around 30 minutes and a whole lot more salubrious but not really commutable.

We love it, wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Thanks for the revival Loopy, thought I should maybe update since it's near three years since I wrote this^

Fremantle is an incredible place. We're the luckiest family alive. Son now at South Fremantle High School and daughter hopefully about to move to Lance Holt.

Tonight we sat by the fishing boat harbour eating the most fantastic food with maybe 300 other people. Watched the sun go down over the Indian Ocean. We drank a bottle of amazing local wine and the kids played safely on their own on the beach, they briefly made friends from Brazil and Amsterdam and we joked and laughed and relaxed in a way I have never experienced anywhere else.

If I was here on holiday I would think it was the most fantastic place I'd ever visited but I live here; it's unbelievable.

There other opinions and they are all equally as valid but I love it, Freo is extraordinary.

My son still loves London, his heart is still in London and after 4 years it's hard knowing that part of him wants still to be there. I beat myself up about whether we've done the right thing for him and I may be deluding myself but I believe that his future is richer, more challenging, more rewarding and brighter by our being here and I hope more than anything else one day he agrees.

• 3 weeks later...
Thought it would be helpful if people could post information on the suburb they live in

LEEMING:

Leeming is South of the River, it is approx 14/17 km from the City. It's an older suburb and there aren't alot of new builds, people tend to renovate here. Its mostly middle income families.

Leeming falls into three Shires: City of Cockburn, City of Melville and City of Canning - Melville would like for all of Leeming to come under them.

Median House prices are approx $600,000 (RIWA March 2010)

Nearest train station is Murdoch and it takes about 10 mins by train (15 by car) into the city. 45 mins to Mandurah by Train. Approx 30 mins to the international/domestic airport. 15 mins to Coogee beach, 20 mins to South Beach and Fremantle.

3 state Primary schools, Banksia Park, Leeming Primary and West Leeming (all good reputations), one state High School which includes an educational support centre. They also have an academic extension programme for gifted and talented students, Music and Science programmes. There are private Primary and Secondary Schools in Bateman, Bull Creek and Murdoch.

We've lived here 4 years, we've found it a nice neighbourhood with a low crime rate, it's convenient to most things and has a great community feel

There's a small shopping forum on the doorstep, woolies/coles are 5 - 10 min drive away at Bull Creek, Southlands (also a cinema) and Kardinya. Garden City shopping centre is about 10 -15 mins drive away.

We've a short drive away from places like Wireless Hill, Woodman point, Point Walter, Point Heathcote

There is a recreation centre, and also. Lakeside Recreation centre is 10 mins away.

Hi Ali

Quite a few years now since this post, but wondering if all still stands with your information. We arrive in Perth at the end of next month. Initially staying far NOR with my sister but going to be working as a mobile podiatrist around the city, midland and down to Armadale. Also a few days down Rockingham way every few months. I have 2 boys (13,10) and keep getting drawn to the Leeming area. How are the rental opportunities and schools at the moment? any advice would be much appreciated :D

• 3 weeks later...

Now I've been living in Duncraig for a few months, I can share what I know.

Duncraig is established and leafy (lots of parks) with mostly older-style properties on large blocks. Duncraig South, which is South of Warwick road is generally bit more expensive than the North. If you're interested in government schools, the north of Duncraig is in catchment for Duncraig SHS, and the South is Carine SHS. Both schools enjoy good reputations. Primary schools likewise, which makes the area very popular with families, particularly as it's more affordable than the beach side of Marmion Av.

Drive to Sorrento beach/Hillarys Boat Harbour is 5 minutes from where we currently live, towards the West of the suburb. Also a short cycle ride to join the coast path for beautiful rides North to Mullaloo and Burns Beach, or South to Scarborough, Floreat, City Beach and Cottesloe.

Shopping is easy. Whitford City, Karrinyup or Lakeside in Joondalup are all a short drive. I take my kids to music lessons in Joodalup and its only 10 or 15mins up Mitchell Freeway, depending on traffic. There are some good local shops too, including a nice IGA.

Craigie leisure centre for swimming (indoors and out). Carine Open Space just to the South. Tennis and other sports at Percy Doyle reserve. Warwick is the nearest train station, so it's not difficult to get to the city on public transport - we've done it a few times. My OH commutes East, so I can't give any info on city commuting, but we have had no problems driving into the CBD on weekends.

Overall it's a convenient and safe suburb. I like it. Not everybody will like the older houses or zero night life. It is very quiet! But really a good option for families NoR.

Really glad I could help, JenPen

When will you arrive in Perth? I hope the IELTS went well and AHPRA doesn't delay you unduly. There'll be at least one friendly face when you get here! In the meantime, feel free to PM me if you have any more questions I might be able to help you with.

Thanks lovely that's so kind - can't wait to meet up :) we are hoping to be there end of Aug/beg of Sept depending mainly on AHPRA....everything else will be in place eeeep! IELTS bit pants but results on Friday so we will see just how rubbish I did oooops!!!

Do you have children? Sorry if I know this im just being a bit rubbish at remembering it all atm xx thanks again

• 1 year later...

hey guys …. we arrive in June but really need to think about where to base - we love the look and feelings where getting from freo and schoolwise south freo high school looks amazing….. But where also torn by scarborough , however could do with info on nearest high schools to scarborough ?

We need that free spirit vibe and all we need is quirky shops ,good coffee and that beach to kick back on !

Also would love to here from you guys that live in them areas with kids at high schools - our son, Jack who is 11 is freakin out abit ;o)

But yeah , post revival !!!! Cheers guys x

hey guys …. we arrive in June but really need to think about where to base - we love the look and feelings where getting from freo and schoolwise south freo high school looks amazing….. But where also torn by scarborough , however could do with info on nearest high schools to scarborough ?

We need that free spirit vibe and all we need is quirky shops ,good coffee and that beach to kick back on !

Also would love to here from you guys that live in them areas with kids at high schools - our son, Jack who is 11 is freakin out abit ;o)

But yeah , post revival !!!! Cheers guys x

It comes down to budget both areas are expensive.