After much 'panic' and stressing

Guest Jeri

Guest Jeri

we have decided to go with our original idea and not ship or take anything with us.

Especially seeing as they have IKEA in Perth lol..

We got estimates back from various companies and it was roughly 3 thousand pounds, plus but when we looked at all the electronics shops, ikea, even gumtree and ebay.. it all pretty much seemed a muchness of a muchness.

PANIC OVER. plus, it will be fab to have all new things, and to decorate each room one by one..

Thanks for all the posts, this board rules for information. xx

It's a hard decision as to what to take so I can sympathise. New things will be exciting! We've not got many electrics on the ship for the same reason, for the price of shipping them we can get new here (with the right plug on too!) so we'd end up spending the money either way - might as well have new!

And while I remember, if you're buying Ikea or similar (have you heard of Super A Mart for instance?), my brother in law has a business doing the assembly. I can put you in touch with him if/when that's of interest.

Good luck with the rest of your move preparations!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest ClaireT

Hi Jeri,

We decided to ship our stuff, cost around £3500 to bring more or less everything. We have been in Perth for 5 weeks and have bought the basics until our container arrives - never been out of Ikea and k-mart! Can pick up some cheap bits n bobs, cant say I found anything alot dearer but for me personally I'm glad my things are coming - nice to have my own stuff and familiar things around me.

Claire

We came out on a really tight budget and we have bought all new from scratch, the only thing I regret is shipping the boxes of so called must have that now sit in the boxes still in the laundry room!:biglaugh:

There are places like Furniture Spot and Pine discount furniture you can get some really good deals and nice solid furniture plus many I know who have shipped their furniture has said that it looks completely out of place in their new house.

Good luck with the move :wubclub:

Hiya Everyone

Sounds like this is such a divided subject.. even with some of our friends. :smile:

Some, leaving everything has worked fabulously and others they wish they hadn't, and the same for those who have shipped...

I think if me and Hubby had accumulated alot of expensive 'well preserved' things (not what our two little monkeys have destroyed), I think we may have made it more priority... but ultimate spring clean - LOVE IT. XX

I've already started packing the bags. (to my hubby's amusement) and I love it that everything is new.. SHOP SHOP SHOP.. (its keeping me sane whilst waiting)

xxx

Guest guest1228

I think its a case of people who have beautiful quality stuff to bring and people who have a load of old tat ( I was in the latter camp) We just bought 'newish' items like our fridge freezer/washer and bed....also nick knacks like pictures/ornamental stuff etc...everything else was sold /tipped/given away/charity shopped. When I got my things I must admit I looked at half of it and wondered why I'd paid good money to ship my crap halfway over the world. Things like cutlery/crockery etc...unless its a special crystal glass or a matching set or sentimental value dont bother, basics are cheap as chips here. Like Cath says places like pine discount and classique sell some great solid pieces at good prices.....not to mention Ikea!

• 4 weeks later...

We are going for the sell it and start again. Whilst clearing my house have realised how much tat has accumulated seemingly without my knowledge.

Hubby tools and case of clothes for us. Am feeling liberated getting rid of everything and determined not to re-buy the same tat once we get there!!

Candice

Guest Lucy G

Reading this thread has just made me feel so much better! We are just going thru that decision and after also getting quotes for £3000 plus we realised our furniture just wasn't worth that so we have opted to ship personal effects. Much cheaper and if we are starting a new life why not start over completely! Now trying to flog our furniture to make a bit but thats a lot better than the other option! Some people think we are crazy not taking our stuff with 3kids but people obviously do it and it has worked out ok for them so we are just gonna go for it and enjoy the shop!

Thanks guys, yet again brilliant info given has rested my mind! :wubclub:

Guest cartertucker
I think its a case of people who have beautiful quality stuff to bring and people who have a load of old tat ( I was in the latter camp) We just bought 'newish' items like our fridge freezer/washer and bed....also nick knacks like pictures/ornamental stuff etc...everything else was sold /tipped/given away/charity shopped. When I got my things I must admit I looked at half of it and wondered why I'd paid good money to ship my crap halfway over the world. Things like cutlery/crockery etc...unless its a special crystal glass or a matching set or sentimental value dont bother, basics are cheap as chips here. Like Cath says places like pine discount and classique sell some great solid pieces at good prices.....not to mention Ikea!

I think this pretty much sums up how I am feeling about taking my stuff over ~ We dont really have anything of great value, having small kiddies, it was more about practicality!

However we do have some items that we want to take, Tvs (as they are newish) Games consoles, priceless items such as photos & our Sons toys (lego mostly).....Whats the best way of shipping a small amount?