acbenson

pregnancy experiences

Hi,

recently been granted our visas, and one of the considerations as to when we get to Perth is regarding healthcare support available during pregnancy.

the other half has it in her head that it would be better to have baby here rather than in situe.

Not sure I wholly agree, so was hoping to get opinions about healthcare specifically regarding support etc that may be available to new arrivees.

I am assuming that the standard of care available is the same if not better than the UK, but would be good to get real world opinions

thanks

Tony

Guest Guest4182
Hi,

recently been granted our visas, and one of the considerations as to when we get to Perth is regarding healthcare support available during pregnancy.

the other half has it in her head that it would be better to have baby here rather than in situe.

Not sure I wholly agree, so was hoping to get opinions about healthcare specifically regarding support etc that may be available to new arrivees.

I am assuming that the standard of care available is the same if not better than the UK, but would be good to get real world opinions

thanks

Tony

Depends Tony on what type of visa you have....if its a 457 visa you may get private health cover for when you are on your visa, as we did....it covers you for everything basically, even if you go into labour, I think you can use private hospitals on your private health cover. Not sure about any other visas, but I know if you have a 457, the company that sponsors you may offer private health cover while you are here. Ours was about $5,000 a year so it was very good cover, it obviously stops if and when you decide to apply for permanent residency while you are on your 457 Visa!!!....good luck with the new arrival be it an aussie babe or an english babe!!!:smile:

we have a 176 so perm res, which entitles us to medicare plus have read advisable to get private medical as well.

I guess it was more a question about peoples experiences of Australian health care, good bad or ugly.

Guest Guest4182

Ermmmm like most things its personal experiences....some good nurses some bad ones....some great hospitals...some not so great...Some private health schemes are very good and worth looking into especially for orthodontist cover(ie for braces and retainers for children, which are very expensive here)and for dentists....then theres cover for physio/podiatry(chiropodist).....maybe look into the various companies and the cover that you would require, it might be worth having it...I think ours is with CBHS...and its a good one...theres HBF too....probably there will be a few people on here that will have other companies for you to have a look at...good luck!!!

I've no experience of having a child here but haven't heard anything bad. I guess the things to consider are maternity leave (may be better in the UK) and access to support after baby is born - would family and friends be there for you in the UK - it can feel very isolating when you're new here and don't have the same networks to fall back on.

Guest Guest4182
I've no experience of having a child here but haven't heard anything bad. I guess the things to consider are maternity leave (may be better in the UK) and access to support after baby is born - would family and friends be there for you in the UK - it can feel very isolating when you're new here and don't have the same networks to fall back on.

Really good advice there Ali....support after the baby is born is a 'biggie'....I think that the support from family and extended family is priceless and not to be taken lightly when having a baby!!:smile:No matter how good the health service is...the support from family and friends is what will be the most important thing!

I remember a friend coming round and telling me not to bother washing up as she'd do it for me, it was my first baby and the first few weeks of being a new mum, I couldn't seem to get organised before lunch time lol

Guest chris_and_miriam
we have a 176 so perm res, which entitles us to medicare plus have read advisable to get private medical as well.

I guess it was more a question about peoples experiences of Australian health care, good bad or ugly.

Hello! Is the missus pregnant at the moment or is this for future reference?

With almost all private medical insurance you will have a waiting period of (usually around 12 months) before you can claim for anything 'obstetrics' (pregnancy) related. We found this out not through reading the small print but by calling up and trying to make appointments for a scan, doh! So before you sign up to any insurance plan check what the limitations and waiting time on pregnancy is if you wish to have the baby private.

So we are going the medicare public (nhs-esque) route instead now. We are on a 457 and so have access to medicare through the reciprocal health agreement between oz and the uk. Working with some Ozzies who have had their children on the public system they have been very complimentary about it, especially st edwards. According to these folks the only difference with having a baby on private insurance is that you a wider choice of hospitals (though still limited by your particular plans partner agreements) & you get a private room. Im sure there may be more to it than that but I can only go on the hearsay!

So unfortunately I dont have any real experience to draw from and pass onto you right now as we are just beginning the journey but will certainly let you know should anything seem untoward with the public stuff, but heck I hope not as its the way we are going! :smile:

Guest Har00n

very interesting post.

My wife and i have been married 10 years, but alas no kids yet.

We've been through the assisted conception services here in scotland, been through 2 rounds of IUI, and a round if IVF, but still no success.

We're actually about to start another round of IVF, and yesterday i was told i've been accepted for 457 visa, so am really interested in pregnancy support.

The posts regarding family support is something i hadn't considered, (thank you for the post ALi!) and as we will have NO friends and family, i'm now wondering wether it will be best if my wife stays here and gives birth here. (assuming this round is successful)

Anyway, i'll be keeping an eye on this post. All the best for your new arrival acbenson!

Hi:smile:..our little lad was born in Perth, at King Edwards and i've got to say the care we received was second to none. We were not first time parents, as he was a huge surprise after a 14 year gap, but we were a little nervous as we didn't know how much things had changed. We were invited to a session at the hospital before the birth, where we were able to discuss childbirth and different options, and also meet other couples expecting babies. Before and after the session we had a call from the midwife who led it, to make sure all was well. I had a planned C-section, and was given a private room with bathroom for my recovery. The staff were always available to help me with bub, and there was support for my family. I had a bad reaction to medication while i was in hospital, and the midwife who was taking care of me was due to finish her shift, but stayed on to see me through it. Excellent care. The Health Visitor came to see us several times after leaving hospital and was very caring. I think the question of support from family and friends is to be considered, as it could be quite difficult being in a new country and experiencing having your first child. We have alot of close family in Perth, so that was great. My brother was born in King Edwards 35 years before!!! All the best to you for your future in Aus..have a great time!

Hats off to the hospital and staff at King Eddie's:notworthy:

King Eddies has a great reputation and is the main hospital for maternity care. Do check out things like maternity leave - you might not be entitled to as much here as in the UK for example.

Good luck to all of you who are having or hoping to have babies xx

Guest Taffyoz

Our 3 kids were all born in Perth under the public health service. My 2 girls were born in Rockingham General and our 2nd little boy at Peel. The care was fabulous, very attentive midwives who stayed with me during the birth and listened to our wishes. I stayed in for 3 days after my first was born and the care was very thorough and I had a private room. At worst the rooms are for 2. With my others I went for early discharge, and had wonderful support at home from a visiting child health nurse. A lot of the midwives are expats. I also have experieneced the tertiary care offered at King Edward in Subiaco, when our first son was diagnosed with a defect and we sadly lost him at 23wks. Again all under the public health system. I do think the care here appears far better than that my Sister in law has endured in the UK and the wards much nicer than ones I have visited in the UK.

We currently live regionally in Carnarvon (10hrs north of Perth) and the regional health service isn't very well staffed or can offer all that is available in Perth. Hence why for 2nd sons birth we drove the 10hrs to Perth at 39wks. We will be repeating this for the arrival of our final child in September.

As for support we had none when our first was born, but u soon make friends in the same situation. It has not been a huge issue for us, obviously going for our 4th child in under 5 yrs. The government also offers great financial help for parents, with a baby bonus (about $5000) and fortnightly family assistance payments. They have also just started a maternity payment scheme which is available instead of the baby bonus to those eligible. It has sure helped me be a stay at home mother, which I know we couldn't of afforded if we lived in the UK.

Good luck

thank you all for the replies, for some reason, I was getting the thread updates.

For those in the know, this is going to be a weird question, but wife isn't pregnant (as yet) and really did not enjoy whole labour experience (no bloke ever will) but having discussed it all with her. one of her major concerns would be family support post birth which I had already thought about but that she didnt believe she would be able to get an epi.

She couldnt do the birth on gas and air alone, and the pithindin (sp?) sent her a bit loopy, it was only when we got the epi done that things progressed.

she has the impression that she wouldnt be able to get this via medicare. If true, I figured just go with the insurance but as some one has pointed out that may take 12 months to kick in.

So for those that have given birth via medicare, were you able to elect an epideral at all?

Thanks

Tony

thank you all for the replies, for some reason, I was getting the thread updates.

For those in the know, this is going to be a weird question, but wife isn't pregnant (as yet) and really did not enjoy whole labour experience (no bloke ever will) but having discussed it all with her. one of her major concerns would be family support post birth which I had already thought about but that she didnt believe she would be able to get an epi.

She couldnt do the birth on gas and air alone, and the pithindin (sp?) sent her a bit loopy, it was only when we got the epi done that things progressed.

she has the impression that she wouldnt be able to get this via medicare. If true, I figured just go with the insurance but as some one has pointed out that may take 12 months to kick in.

So for those that have given birth via medicare, were you able to elect an epideral at all?

Thanks

Tony

Hi, we did it through Medicare at King Eddie's and i elected for a C-section. We had previously had big babies and i had had a C-section 16 years earlier. Though the risk was minimal, they said there was a possibility of rupture if i went through labour. I was concerned and talked to the midwife at the hospital, when we attended the session they held beforehand. She said to ask for a section and they booked it straight away. Hope this is helpful.

Guest batfinktasha

Hi

Myself and my partner arrived here in Perth when I was 20 weeks pregnant with twins. I have had no experience with having a baby in the UK, but I have to say that the service I have received so far here has been very good indeed. You could take out private health cover but the pregnancy cover side of things would not be valid for 12 months so there really would be any point. So just get yourself a Medicare number as soon as you arrive, you can walk into the office and they can give you one on the spot, card may take a few weeks to arrive though.

The public hospitals are very clean here and have friendly staff from what I have seen. I have regular checkups, which were every month to start with, then fortnightly, now weekly. They have done all the normal scans as you would have in the UK. They check everything that you would expect, bloods, urine, mood. Sugars, foetal heart rates. I found out I had gestational diabetes so they have made me attend classes to learn about diet and how to check my own sugar levels.

I had the choice of 2 hospitals, one that is 5 mins away, Osborne Park, or the King Edward which is a little further. I chose the latter as they have a 24 theatre and as I’m having twins there’s a good chance I might need a last min c section... will find out soon as I’m being induced this Wednesday.!! You can visit the hospitals first and look at the birthing suites before making your choice also.

I have access to a 24 tel number if I need to speak with a midwife or have any questions or worries. I have even been called on a Sunday as they thought I had missed an appointment, which I hadn’t, but was impressed they were on the ball enough to call and check.

The hospital has a drop in physiotherapy centre which you can go to at anytime if you are experiencing back ache, etc , at no extra cost, they also have a free library, which has been great for me as so much to read about for preparing for the twins arrival.

The hospital gave me all the info I needed to sign up for the antenatal classes and also info on discounted exercise classes that you can attend also, such as aqua natal. They also put me in touch with the multiple birth association, which I am now a member of and have met some great people through, been to breast feeding classes, etc also.. The support your partner needs she is probably referring to family, which is something I won’t be having out here, although my mum and dad are flying out for a month at the end of this week, so I have them for a little while. Support from the hospital after the baby are born, is up to the mum if she wants it, but it is there if you ask for it and you will be visited my a midwife after the first week when you go home to check you are ok. They have said if I need to talk or see anyone then just call. Immunisations are all dealt with too at no extra cost and they will let you know when these are needed.

Finally if the baby is born here and you register the birth, you get a baby bonus of $5000 which is a massive help. We will be getting that times 2, which is such a relief as we have had to buy 2 of everything and it isn’t cheap. Whatever your decision, I wish you all the best and good luck with the new arrival, but be rest assured the medical service out here is very good and you have nothing to worry about. Sorry for the essay!!!

Sincerely Tasha xx

Guest batfinktasha

also I am having a epidural on Wednesday on Medicare at th King Edward, they also offer, gas/air, tens, water birth, pithindin... and all the other normal things you can have, they have something called a 'walking epi' here also, which mean you can still function and walk around but cant feel anything!! sound great, and if you want the full affect they just up the dose! its all available. Txx

also I am having a epidural on Wednesday on Medicare at th King Edward, they also offer, gas/air, tens, water birth, pithindin... and all the other normal things you can have, they have something called a 'walking epi' here also, which mean you can still function and walk around but cant feel anything!! sound great, and if you want the full affect they just up the dose! its all available. Txx

Great post Tasha:smile:...full of really good info and extremely positive!..this is why forums like this are so useful to people coming over with particular concerns..we had our last little lad at King Eddie's and i've got to say it was top class care!..there was a lady there at the same time with triplets!!!..we also had twins, but that was nearly 22 years ago:eek:..14 year gap between them and last one..so i wish you all the very best for Wednesday..very exciting for you!!:wink: x

Guest batfinktasha

Thanks Terri, bit nervous but sure it will go ok. Txxxx

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony i know nothing about having a baby in Australia but I would give a word of caution on expecting or even relying on an Epidural. I had an Epidural with my first baby and it was brilliant worked a treat and was very surprised when more didnt use it. So when my second came along I was determined I was going to have one and on my entrance to the hospital I announced I was ready for my Epidural, so they checked me and REFUSED:swoon: Only because she was already on her way and too late, she came 1hr later:biglaugh:I only had the choice of gas and air which I used in copious amounts, very nice too:wink: Good luck with it all x

Guest cartertucker

Great thread & handy for me, as early next year I will be having my 4th baby in Australia! :cute:

Good luck to the Op

Guest Mickmells

Yes I have countenanced for this before three years and it was nice experience for me.

Guest batfinktasha

Well the twins Layla and Amber have arrived and are now 4 months old!!! what a blurr that has been (is)

KingEdward Hospital was great. I went in on the Wednesday, induced on the Friday due to emergency c sections happening all around and had them on the Saturday morning. The staff were fantastic, very crowded room as I needed double of everyone in there as there were 2 coming:smile:.

I was moving house straight out of Hospital down to Mandurah so the staff there organised a health care visitor to come and see me, who came weekly for the first 2 months and now its about every 3 weeks. They organise all the immunisations needed, put you intouch with a mothers group, whom I still meet with every Tuesday.

The midwifes were out of this world, showed me what to do from bathing to nappy changing etc.... When the contactions got too hard I asked for an epidural and they were there like a shot within 15 mins to set me up. I really wouldnt worry about things over here. This is all in the public sector and I couldnt fault them at all.

I had 4 births in the UK and 1 here. I had my baby at the King Edward Memorial Hospital in Subiaco (43 years after I was born!). THe care I received and my baby received was 2nd to none. I only had medicare, but had a private room with ensuite. Midwifes were all wonderful and the experience was a vey positive experience, as was all the aftercare.

Good luck to you all expecting x

I am also very interested in having my second baby in Oz as I've heard great things about the approach to birth/breastfeeding in Oz compared with the dismal maternity care here in Ireland! You could also try www.bellybelly.com.au which is a parenting website with LOTS of info re IVF support and having babies in general.