whats your job ..

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Har00n

Im coming over BECAUSE of the job.

Got a call about a job in Perth, being from glasgow and working in edinburgh, i thought it was the original perth, just up the A9.... little did i know!

LOL

That being said, ive been doing some research, and it looks like there are quite a few jobs in IT via hays and seek. Wont know for sure until i actually get there though...

Guest NeilEB

For those using Seek.....

Do you find recruiters find your cv and approach you, or do you have to apply for jobs?

I've been contacted by loads of agents from British job boards, but haven't had one contact from Seek yet....

I'm a photographer, but will be a stay at home mom till kids and hubby are settled. I do all my work and editing from home.. so can go anywhere.. not sure on earning potential there yet.

Hubby is an advanced scaffolder/foreman and has been told he could earn between 70k and 170k land/firm based - and 250k-350k offshore or mines

We are in talks with this guy and hope to secure something with this firm when we arrive..

but can only cross fingers something fortunate will happen when we arrive..

Guest Har00n

Haven't used Seek for jobs Neil, so can't comment.

I do get calls from agencies everyday, some have seen my profile on linked in, some have seen my CV on jobserve.

Ive had offers for roles all over europe, but this is the first one i recieved from OZ.

Guest NeilEB

Everyday? Wow, you must be in high need.

I get the odd call / email from people on linkedin and other sites, but had no interest from Seek yet. So now I'm worried - is it because my CV isn't right for Oz, are my skills not needed, or is it just that I need to be more proactive (which is hard to do as I don't know when I want to move out there)

And I thought the visa was the hard part.......gah!

Guest NeilEB
I'm a photographer, but will be a stay at home mom till kids and hubby are settled. I do all my work and editing from home.. so can go anywhere.. not sure on earning potential there yet.

Hubby is an advanced scaffolder/foreman and has been told he could earn between 70k and 170k land/firm based - and 250k-350k offshore or mines

We are in talks with this guy and hope to secure something with this firm when we arrive..

but can only cross fingers something fortunate will happen when we arrive..

Wow - I'd send hubby down the mines / off-shore and live a life of leisure :-)

:jiggy:

hee hee, yes, he did mention he had the raw deal of the experience.. (I couldn't hear him over my new cocktail glass and li-lo purchase..:biglaugh:)

We have heard it can be a bit tricky getting Off-shore so we are getting all the appropriate things in the meantime, but as this company does all three, we will be happy to just start landbased, get our foot in the door and then hubby can see which is more 'beneficial'..

So crossing fingers it goes to plan.. :eek:

Guest scottishkiwi
hee hee, yes, he did mention he had the raw deal of the experience.. (I couldn't hear him over my new cocktail glass and li-lo purchase..:biglaugh:)

We have heard it can be a bit tricky getting Off-shore so we are getting all the appropriate things in the meantime, but as this company does all three, we will be happy to just start landbased, get our foot in the door and then hubby can see which is more 'beneficial'..

So crossing fingers it goes to plan.. :eek:

It will all work out, Jeri! Beiing seeing you soon!!!!! p.s I wish brent was a scaffolder/supervisor lol!

Guest scottishkiwi
Everyday? Wow, you must be in high need.

I get the odd call / email from people on linkedin and other sites, but had no interest from Seek yet. So now I'm worried - is it because my CV isn't right for Oz, are my skills not needed, or is it just that I need to be more proactive (which is hard to do as I don't know when I want to move out there)

And I thought the visa was the hard part.......gah!

Neil, My husband is an industrial electrician and he has sent heaps of cv's away using seek. As yet, he's had next to nothing back from them. However, he went over a few weeks ago to complete an electrical course and while he was there he met with some recruiters. they all sad that if he was in the country there and then, they could have had him in a job the next day. I know you are not in the same job but i think they like you to be in the country (that's what they told hubby). I'm sure you will get a good job once you are there. when are you thinking of getting there?

Guest janeubu
So just wondering if we all have a say on this thread on whats your job .. rough wages and how easy /hard it is to find work once your here in Perth .. also those who are coming over maybe able to bounce questions of each other in the process if they say what they do too ..you never know you may find employment this way .. its not what you know but who sometimes :)

anways .. i am a hairdresser . and was able to walk into a job straight away once here , i had to resit my hair exams within 6 months theory and practical .. but now that has been abolished and you don't have to register with the WA hairdressing board anymore .

my average is 23 dollars an hour as a casual with super , no sick or holidays with that .. as permenent the wages were lower but you do get sick and hols etc my old employment was about 19 per hr plus tools allowance .. they do average at that though i have seen jobs adveritsed at a higher wage as well .

hi ya im a hairdresser so thanks for the info about that,where did you get a job?are you enjoying working in oz?i rent a chair at the mo so dreading bein employed again....my hubby is a carpenter and we land on 1/1/12,very exited and scared thou:smile:

hi ya im a hairdresser so thanks for the info about that,where did you get a job?are you enjoying working in oz?i rent a chair at the mo so dreading bein employed again....my hubby is a carpenter and we land on 1/1/12,very exited and scared thou:smile:

Hi , thats what i was hoping this thread would do .. give certain info about jobs people are coming over to and be a help :)

Anyhows hairdressing in Perth ... loads and loads of salons , they are starting to rent chairs out i know one does in secret harbour ..

The colour companies over here do really good training course iv'e been on some great ones ..

Hairdressing stuff is extortionate all of it .. bring all your brushes scissors ( buy new if you can there ) i just paid $700.00 for two pairs:swoon: save all the receipts for end of year tax returns ! ( though the first salon i worked at would not let me change the plug from english to Australian .for saftey reasons .. so i had to buy new Dryer , clippers etc) you are expected to provide your own stuff in most salons like dryers ,clippers , straighteners etc .. then being self employed your used to it ! I nearly fell over :eek: with shock ..only ever did that with scissors and brushes .

All the same products .. Wella , scwartzkopf, loreal, matrix, redkin etc

I used to work in Midland shopping center and now i work for a Keune salon in Baldivis ( more like a village salon ) and love it they are from holland .. oh yes, they love their bleach over here lots of it and lots of toning :rolleyes:and hair extentions !

Hi,

My hubby a sparky. He had arranged an interview over here for when we arrived, got offered that job but didn't accept it. Got given a phone number of a company, rung them got that job and accepted it all within 2 weeks of arriving!! Very lucky but this was back in Dec 2007....but he did have to get his WA electrical licence...his wage is approx $37 an hr.

I'm a support worker, casual with super, but no sick or hol pay, and $20.89 an hour, do get fuel allowance but not alot!! Doing my Cert III in Aged Care. Thinking of looking for another job thats not casual. Been in this job for nearly 2 yrs. Before that worked for Absolute Domestics...didn't enjoy that, only did it for 6 months. But if you need to work just to get you out the house, to keep your sanity, then its ideal!!

Hope this helps!!

Jane :smile:

Hi Neil - you will only get a job while you are overseas if the company in question is desparate for you. I did this when I was in Australia and got my first job in the UK. Not only was I an exact match technically and business wise, but I also had worked on solving many of the issues the project was facing. The phone interview went along the lines of them telling me their problems and me telling them what they could do about it.

I've never done this since. It was the right place at the right time. Unless the company is absolutely mad for you and only you, they won't look at you unless your feet are on the ground and you have a Perth number.

I know it's a risk - but you should be able to get some idea of the market. At the moment I gather IT is ok ish, not up or down.

Guest NeilEB
Hi Neil - you will only get a job while you are overseas if the company in question is desparate for you. I did this when I was in Australia and got my first job in the UK. Not only was I an exact match technically and business wise, but I also had worked on solving many of the issues the project was facing. The phone interview went along the lines of them telling me their problems and me telling them what they could do about it.

I've never done this since. It was the right place at the right time. Unless the company is absolutely mad for you and only you, they won't look at you unless your feet are on the ground and you have a Perth number.

I know it's a risk - but you should be able to get some idea of the market. At the moment I gather IT is ok ish, not up or down.

Bugger this could be difficult then - I am in no position to leave my job and move to Oz without something to go to.....

Hmmm

I had a similar problem trying to get a friend of mine a job in the UK. They weren't interested as my friend was in Oz. My friend came over for a months holiday, I tied up an interview, they made him an offer and he didn't bother going back. There are ways and means. But keep plugging away. There may be a company out there that has an exact match for you. The other option is to be more general in your search, the eastern states have much larger IT markets.

Guest NeilEB

Maybe so, but we really want to go to Perth - think the Eastern states are too pricey in terms of real estate, and they seem to have lost a lot of the Aussie-ness (at least that's my feeling anyway).

I have one agent in Perth who was from the UK himself and reckons he can sort me out with contract work fairly easily, so we'll see if anything comes of that.

If not, then once we sell the house, maybe I'll take a couple of week in Perth to go and see agencies and companies.

I'm surprised it's so hard to find jobs from the UK now though, particularly in IT - surely that's what Skype and video conferences are for!

Hubby is amixed bag here in the UK lol he is royal navy , electrician , hydraulics,armourer, weapon engineer ,elf and safety . High voltage . etc etc

In talks with certain mines at the moment job interview next month depending on what wages they offer lol

Myself till a while ago i corrected aggressive dogs ( actually i train the owners :wink: they are the problem alot of the time lol ) but thinking of doing something else when im in oz not sure what yet

Brides x

Guest NeilEB

Myself till a while ago i corrected aggressive dogs ( actually i train the owners :wink: they are the problem alot of the time lol ) but thinking of doing something else when im in oz not sure what yet

Brides x

Train aggressive spiders to keep out of my house?

• 1 month later...

So are there any new peeps here or coming over with info to add on this thread .. IE how is your visa progress or how easy /hard is it to get work in the skills you have ?

Please add to it , its very interesting reading when your migrating to know how hard or easy it is etc to find work /wages.. any info really :)

Thanx all :)

I understand from the visiting authorities to the UK at the moment that there is talk of introducing a new visa which will speed things up quicker than a 457. I am sure there will be lots of restirctions but from speeking to the trade and industry of WA they were saying it is something they are looking in to because of the skills shortage and they understand that getting the people is not the difficult part it is all the red tape that stops this from happening.

:smile: we were lucky i think ! right place right time ...hubby has a job starting in April after the easter hols , he will be FIFO 2 weeks on 1 week off for a company in the mies :swoon:nearly fainted when we saw the wages . It will be working 12 hours aday ( hubby is use to that though)

:wink:I'm sure it will happen Neil ! Goodluck !

Brides x