Persuade me Perth is best please

Guest MegS

My husband has been offered the chance to join either the Aus Navy or NZ Navy (he's already in our Navy). If he chooses the Aus Navy then it is more than likely he will be based in Perth. I have a couple of (stupid) reservations - one is the heat in summer, two is the isolation from the rest of the country and the other is the poisonous spiders. They are the only cons I can come up with. We have no family/friends issues that we can't leave behind so missing the UK is not a problem. If he did decide not to join the Aus Navy, then he is also looking at the NZ Navy or we try for Canada, so basically we're going somewhere away from here in two years time. It really is a case of looking at which location is best for us as a family and more importantly our 8 year old son as regards his future. Are the spiders a big problem? OH is convinced they are waiting at the airport to bite him:D We met a few Australians in Canada last year who were in their 30s and they had never seen any poisonous spiders, they came from Sydney and Melbourne. Honestly these are the only cons I can come up, I'm quite excited by it all as I've never settled long in one place anyway. My family emigrated to Aus when I was a baby and I felt seen off that my mam hated it and came back by the time I was 4. To be fair to her, she was only 18 when she left the UK, had never been out of the village she lived with her big family in all of her life and had a baby so for a first trip she was pretty brave to be a £10 pommy.

Anyways if anyone has any experience of the Aus Navy and would like to share it with me I would appreciate it. Also regarding my son and what his life will be like should we move.

Thanks

I don't know anything about New Zealand but you'll find Perth is Less humid than for example QLD. When people say that Perth is isolated it makes it sound like it's cut off from the rest of the country but to be honest there isn't a feeling of isolation. It's certinly less populated than other states but then you could also say it's not overcroweded like some of the places in the UK. We have been here a year and find it a very relaxed and laid back way of life which we more than appreciate and it is so much different that how we felt in the UK.

We haven't had a problem with spiders and snakes, we've seen a couple of redbacks but they were easily disposed of (probably not very environmentally friendly 'cos I zapped them)! I have an 8 year old son who is thriving here, he loves being outside, and loves school and can't wait for the holidays to end to see his mates again.

I don't know if perth will be for you, we have visited QLD and whilst it was lovely it just wasn't for us. Give it a go and see.

Ali

Guest davo453

I can't persuade you that Perth is best, it will be the place you make it really, but it is an outdoor life style. If your into pop concerts, theater and night life etc you might be disappointed.

Yes it's hot in summer but air conditioning is virtually everywhere these days (not as it was when we arrived) but the other seasons are in the main very pleasant.

We had several rural properties and if you want to live with spiders and snakes then a farm is the place to do it. The really are not a problem though, you have to very unlucky or a bit dumb to get bitten.

Having been to New Zealand I have to say I could (and may well) live there but the winters are colder, the climate on the North island is possibly equivalent to Brittany (France).

The only way your going to be certain is to visit the two places. But then again whichever you do decide to live in, it doesn't have to be forever if you don't want it to be.

Cheers

Dave

I think if you need persuading then you may already have doubts as to whether it will suit you or not. My hubby left the RN in May last year and we emigrated on his skills as a sparkie (we looked at RAN but he`d had enough of the Navy life after 22 years). Having said that though we have 3 sets of friends who have moved over to the RAN since we arrived last June and they seem pretty happy with their lot although they have said the RAN is quite different to RN in it`s outlook and is much more laid back. As for Perth - well you will probably be living around Rockingham/ Secret Harbour area as that is where most of the MQs are - the RAN housing is very good from what I`ve seen of it but you really need to try it for yourself - Perth and Rockingham are not for everybody, though I have to say we love it here. I`ve came across 1 redback in the last 7 months and 1 snake (dead at the side of the road) trust me I hate the creepy crawlies and Im never without my trusty can of bug killer but it`s not been a big issue. Personally if someone said I had to choose between Perth & Portsmouth I know which I would choose - Perth any day.

Guest pizda63

Hi all,

My name is Peter Vinci Born and Raised in Fremantle Western Australia. I have met many Poms looking for property either to Rent or Buy within the area. The question asked by many is information about the market prior too migrating to Australia.

I am offering my knowledge to all on any aspects of Renting or Buying within this large state of Western Australia.

All questions will be answered

Post your question or send me an Email.

peter@pfrofessionalsfremantle.com.au

Real Estate Western Australia - Property - Professionals Fremantle - Fremantle - Professionals WA

Thanks for all you replies and especially Gobbyjock, very helpful. Choice between Perth and Portsmouth isn't that hard is it?:D Portsmouth is a dump and I'm looking forward to getting out. Have found out though we would have the choice between Perth, Melbourne and Sydney which makes it easier as I don't feel like I'm being pushed into a certain place (like I am in Portsmouth). My husband is a CPOMEA so not sure what the options are after he's left the Navy, he's had enough of our Navy (turned down the extension) but think he's too scared to get a real job which is why he's seriously looking into RAN. It certainly sounds a lot better than the RN. I'm a legal secretary and there seems to be quite a few of those jobs going, one thing the world is never short of and that's lawyers:Rofl:.

Other thing that is starting to concern us is the high price of houses in Perth. We will have over £90k equity from our house here but obviously don't want to be saddled with too high a mortgage over there, although renting doesn't seem too bad an idea. Too much to think about and too little time, although its just over 2 years and that sounds a long time judging by how quick the last two years have gone it will soon be upon us.

House prices are starting to come down and if you transfer to the RAN then you won`t need to touch your nest egg (and if you get the timing right -I don`t know how long your hubby has done in RN but he will have his pension to help every month if he has done his 22yrs.)the RAN will pay for the visa, flights and shipping of your stuff plus you would get subsidised rental. We chose to do it the hard way because hubby didn`t want to be in the Navy any more (22 yrs was enough for him) but he`d only have had to do 3 yrs return of service and he would also have gotten his citizenship after only a few months (any kids would too).

What can I say, Perth is tops if you are into water , beaches, (sharks) only joking, The outdoor life.I have lived in Perth for 25 years and as a rule you only need the aircon on couple of dozen times year.Perth is the 2nd windiest city in the world so you get a seabreeze in the arvo to cool you down , unless you live inland .As for spiders , the odd red back but never met any one who has been bitten by one and a lot of people get their house s sprayed which will keep them a way.The future of Perth is pretty good with plenty of work, which is good for the kids, that would be the draw back for NZ, beautiful place but not good employment prospects.

Perth prices are high in the housing, I have just been over to Brisbane and was amazed at what you could get for your money, but the plus is we ,can go any where in Australia and have the same house or better for the same money, where as 10 years ago, Tassie would have been the only place we could have moved to, not that we wanted to move.Perth is lovely.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bandjlambert

Hi there,

I really need some info on this,my friends husband has got his own business, and wants to sponser my fiancee out there,ans us, i just wondered how long he has to be in perth to do so, and when he can start the ball rolling?

He has been there a year or so already, some quick reply would be fab.

hope to hear from someone shortly

cheers:D

your hubbys friend will need to find out information from the immigration department, in order to sponsor someone to work for you - you have to have permission/fulfill certain criteria. I heard someone say that you had to show that the job couldn't be done by an australian (but don't know if this is just hearsay).

Ali